3rd Aug 2016, 14:53
Home movie, no sound
x6ZMvjI-2Xs

Fareastdriver
3rd Aug 2016, 15:05
Wot! No piccys of the GUT.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Aug 2016, 15:30
FED, verboten, out of bounds IIRC so impossible to do that.

But, :), in Masirah, I just happened to pop in to a film night put on by the plods. One clip featured a setter, two matelo, and a 'lady' between them. While she was busy with one, the other looked over then turned away, leaned over the arm and up chucked. Definitely the GUT.

*so I was told

Shack37
3rd Aug 2016, 15:46
FED, verboten, out of bounds IIRC so impossible to do that.

I do believe some of the more adventurous did manage the odd visit. Just out of curiousity of course to see for themselves WHY it was out of bounds.:E

Haraka
3rd Aug 2016, 17:45
SOP Gutex 1969. "Don't take more than ten bob each and stick together"
"JFK Bar" anybody?

Pontius Navigator
3rd Aug 2016, 18:29
Egyptian Queen? On the corner so you could argue not quite in Strait Street. Big advantage, it was upstairs. Last time there it was a youth club.

ian16th
3rd Aug 2016, 22:06
It wasn't out of bounds in 1959.

Fareastdriver
4th Aug 2016, 08:24
The Gut wasn't OB when I was there on detachments in the early sixties. In fact there was a transit hotel on the other side of the road from the Gyppo Queen because I was put in there once.

One evening when the US fleet were in in I saw a US Navy jeep with some very big SPs beat the living daylights out of some poor young American sailor whom had just had a drink too many and was then thrown into the back.

Pontius Navigator
4th Aug 2016, 11:26
I made up the OB bit :), but I may have been there the same time as FED. Walking innocently down the street to the facilities at the bottom the USN SP were indeed robustly rounding up their sailors. RAF P were also there periodically claiming the odd drunk from the SP and putting them in the taxi ( blue light variety)

PS, real RAF P, gents everyone.