PDA

View Full Version : Another attempted Serviceman abduction, this time Aldershot, be careful out there

NutLoose
3rd Aug 2016, 12:36
See

Police investigating attempted abduction of a serviceman at barracks - just weeks after attempted RAF snatch (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/police-investigating-attempted-abduction-of-a-serviceman-at-barracks-just-weeks-after-attempted-raf-snatch/ar-BBvchsv?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout)

Simplythebeast
3rd Aug 2016, 12:40
Other reports are saying there was no attempt to do anything. Apparently the soldier reported two men 'acting suspiciously' having parked their Renault Clio in an unusual location. No doubt the press will be adding as much drama as they can.

langleybaston
3rd Aug 2016, 16:55
Reporting suspicious activity has to be the way to go, if only to provoke reaction from the police ............ a sort of Exercise at worst, an Operation if the threat is credible.

Simplythebeast
3rd Aug 2016, 18:28
Reporting suspicious activity is to be encouraged. Exaggerated reporting, causing public anxiety just plays into the terrorists hands and should be discouraged.
In this case, the same reports tell us that local Police say that no crime was committed. As attempted abduction is a crime, clearly the Police did not believe there was any attempted abduction.
Quite simple really and as usual journalists making it up as they go along.

Tashengurt
3rd Aug 2016, 20:09
If I was posted to Aldershot I'd probably pay someone to abduct me.

NutLoose
3rd Aug 2016, 20:13
I know where you're coming from, gawd awful place

tarantonight
3rd Aug 2016, 21:37
If I was posted to Aldershot I'd probably pay someone to abduct me.

Not wishing to detract from the potential seriousness of these events, that did make me laugh 😁😁😁.

Reminds me of a story - may not be true (and not sure why to be honest) - re an Admiral visiting a ship and talking to all and sundry. Admiral speaks to Able Seaman Bloggs and says...'Able Seaman Bloggs, if one of your Officers fell overboard, what would you do?'. After a bit of thought, Bloggs replies 'Which one were you thinking of sir?'.

TN.

Heathrow Harry
4th Aug 2016, 10:06
probably the local dogging community ................

PDR1
4th Aug 2016, 10:31
I appreciate these are intended as ribald remarks, but in the circumstances I think they are in rather poor taste.

PDR

Red Line Entry
4th Aug 2016, 15:41
PDR,

Welcome to the Military - it's sort of who we are!

Lyneham Lad
4th Aug 2016, 16:30
No. 1 son lives across the other side of the Black Water Valley and always refers to Aldershot as 'Alder****e'. Farnham is a rather more pleasant prospect.

And now back to your regular programme...

NutLoose
4th Aug 2016, 16:45
Yes if you make it down the hill. When I was there some pongo went off the road in the fog, and so did the rest of the service vehicles that followed him

Fonsini
4th Aug 2016, 17:06
Quote - "British Forces Broadcasting Service reported servicemen stationed there should not wear uniform outside the base."

How far we have fallen :hmm:

Tashengurt
4th Aug 2016, 17:07
PDR,
What circumstances are those then? Someone seeing something that turned out to be nothing?
Or do you mean the unfortunate circumstance of some poor pongo actually being posted to 'the 'shot'?

PDR1
4th Aug 2016, 17:36
No. 1 son lives across the other side of the Black Water Valley and always refers to Aldershot as 'Alder****e'. Farnham is a rather more pleasant prospect.

Well Farnham is where I reside, so I would inherently support that view.

PDR

Wokkafans
5th Aug 2016, 10:47
PDR1 - likewise :ok:

BEagle
5th Aug 2016, 12:23
I had to go to Aldershot in 2003 for my resettlement brief. Which sadly wasn't particularly useful...

I'd anticipated the 'Home of the British Army' being all shining brass, spit and polish, manicured lawns and black-and-white kerbs, well-maintained buildings and with 'Guns at Batasi' Richard Attenborough-style RSMs marching about the place...

It wasn't. It was an utter tip. Shabby run down buildings, overgrown patches of grass and a few sulking squaddies shambling about looking glum. No pride whatsoever and it even made Tidworth look smart.

Heathrow Harry
5th Aug 2016, 12:28
"Farnham is a rather more pleasant prospect" - full of Chelsea tractors and dodgy estate agents IMHO

Wokkafans
5th Aug 2016, 13:02
Certainly some dodgy estate agents - don't even get me started :mad:

PDR1
5th Aug 2016, 13:16
Indeed. I thought I had a good deal on a trailer-park buy-to-let investment down in Frensham, but the estate agent's gone all cagey on me now...

:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E

PDR

Wokkafans
5th Aug 2016, 14:56
There's 139 of them so plenty of choice.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Geordie_Expat
5th Aug 2016, 21:33
I had to go to Aldershot in 2003 for my resettlement brief. Which sadly wasn't particularly useful...

I'd anticipated the 'Home of the British Army' being all shining brass, spit and polish, manicured lawns and black-and-white kerbs, well-maintained buildings and with 'Guns at Batasi' Richard Attenborough-style RSMs marching about the place...

It wasn't. It was an utter tip. Shabby run down buildings, overgrown patches of grass and a few sulking squaddies shambling about looking glum. No pride whatsoever and it even made Tidworth look smart.

I had the dubious pleasure of doing my resettlement course at Catterick Garrison in 1978 (in January which didn't help) and it fitted your description of Aldershot. Total s***hole with atrocious food.

Arclite01
9th Aug 2016, 10:13
Historically I always think that the RAF take pride in their establishments, in part because it's where they operate from.

The Army see barracks as a temporary place where they will deploy from............... so they never spend much time or money on them.............

What it's like nowadays I am not sure............

Arc

Whenurhappy
9th Aug 2016, 14:45
I had the misfortune to spend 6 months in Aldershot 10 years ago on a Joint project. I was accommodated during the week in the Gun Hill Officers' Mess. I have never been in such a pig-sty; the contractors and the Garrison staff were in clear collusion with all sorts of 'additional mess charges' for publically funded activities. The food was dreadful - and I'm not picky. Just to say what a coincidence that the Defence Fraud Analysis Unit - as was - paid them a visit after I left.

I had my room broken in to by a drunk soldier who, after stealing my medals and credit cards, proceeded to sexually harrass some of the (rather attractive) nusing officers in the Mess. The RMPs did nothing until I stressed that I was a Lt Col equivalent. Medals and credit cards magically returned; offending soldier quietly RTUd to Hereford, and the whole matter swept under the carpet, 'cos the chap was 'special'.

And the barracks were grim; no wonder the end scenes in 'Quantum of Solace' - set somewhere in central Aisa - were shot in Aldershot.

And less said about the town of Aldershot the better. I think it is one of the most depressing towns I have ever visited in the UK.

NutLoose
9th Aug 2016, 16:15
Most of the pubs used to have no Squaddies signs in the windows and when we used to poke our heads in and say can we come in we are RAF, you could be dazzled by the landlords smile as he ushered us to the bar.

we had a Sergeant had the dubious honour of being treated at the Aldershot military hospital for a broken wrist and they set it the wrong way round, they then had to re-fracture it and redo it again, he didn't have a nice thing to say about the place.

Heathrow Harry
27th Aug 2016, 16:58
all gone very quiet it seems - no updates, no arrests... last I saw the Norfolk police said they had no idea if the reported attempted abduction was jihadis or "some other reason altogether"... strange

Pontius Navigator
30th Aug 2016, 14:43
Oh the miserable memory. Was booked, in my ignorance, into a Mess at Warminster. The room was RAF 1960s spartan, the toilets about 50 yards one way and bath 50 yards the other. The large desk in the room was sliced into little strips where our future generals had sliced up their maps.

Just hope they never ran off the map.

Wander00
30th Aug 2016, 15:05
School of Infantry Mess - I was there for a week's equitation course in about 1984 not a happy experience, and the Mess was no great shakes either. On arrival we were greeted by the course director, arm in a sling after hunting accident at the weekend, then told me I would have the same horse as had thrown him, for the week, and the civilian instructor turned up minus her ring finger - another ring related accident. Great start!

Union Jack
30th Aug 2016, 20:57
Tipped up at some sleepy hollow of an Army mess in darkest Hampshire for a course the nature of which escapes me, only to be somewhat surprised by what seemed like an excessively large Extra Messing charge. On seeking an explanation from the Mess Manager, it transpired that this apparently covered the cost of feeding two dogs and one polo pony.....:ok:

Jack

chopper2004
30th Aug 2016, 21:35
Only ever driven in/out of Aldershot due diverted traffic / quicker to get out of Farnborough Airshow -from the green grass - admittedly it does have an air of tradition - as I drive by.

Then again its not like a majority of army post / forts across the pond which look more like science park / corporate office / new white sandy buildings even the ones built in the 50s!

cheers

Wander00
31st Aug 2016, 08:33
Some years back I spent quite a lot of time with the Army, learning to be an accountant. Three or four years later go down to breakfast in a farmhouse in the sticks about 10 km from Tours (that's in France on the Loire). Another couple come in to breakfast, and they seem very familiar, then it dawns - OM at the army base, he is head steward, she is mess book keeper (they now live about 15km from me here). We pass pleasantries and go our separate ways. back at the Yacht Club I have a former 3 Para officer working for me. "Here Bloggs, trade test. Colonel calls you in and says you are next Mess Sec. You go to sort handover and by accident discover steward and book keeper are an "item". What do you do?" Response, quick as a flash "Ask Colonel to appoint someone else as Mess Sec." I cast no aspersions, but as an accountant it is the sort of circumstance that would always get the adrenalin going.
A few years earlier ding some consultancy was a bit unhappy about the accounting function at a client, dug a bit further and found accountant had employed his (married, different surname) sister as bookkeeper. Started the hunt and uncovered about £100k worth of fraud. So you guys and girls with non-public secondary duties, keep your eyes, and ears, open

Tankertrashnav
31st Aug 2016, 09:55
The smaller army regimental messes are (or were) a different kettle of fish to the large garrison messes such as Aldershot and Catterick. I visited a few when I was a young Rockape and found them very welcoming and comfortable. Not much civilianisation then, you were served by "soldier servants" as the army unashamedly called them (imagine the RAF talking about "airman servants"!) When you went into lunch it was one long table and you sat down at the next vacant chair, so you could find yourself chatting to the colonel, some crusty old major or a brand new 2nd lieutenant, so cliques of chums at mealtimes were avoided. I recall there was no choice - you had what everyone else had that day, like it or lump it - I usually liked it. No veggie option - I guess that vegetarians didn't exist in the army then!

Most small messes didn't have bars as such. Usually you had a steward who you ordered your drink from and who brought it to you in ante-room, although often in the evenings it was serve yourself, and sign a chit.

All very traditional and civilised, but having also visited Catterick garrison mess I have to agree with previous comments about the place.

Wander00
31st Aug 2016, 10:29
TTN - with you on smaller Army messes, visited a few as a TA officer in the 80s. But Colchester Garrison Mess - AWFUL

Dougie M
31st Aug 2016, 11:11
On leaving the Reglars I was offered the resettlement course either at Catterick or Aldershot. I said that I'd heard of a little place in Welsh Wales that did the course. "Oh that" they said "well I suppose so"
Fantastic! The bloke was a Loughborough lecturer and his good lady was a cordon bleu chef. They said that they were discouraging army resettlement apps. The RAF were more in tune with their ethos, "do you drink wine" "I don't mind if I do" sort of thing. No chance of being abducted there and I can still build a canny brick wall.

tmmorris
31st Aug 2016, 20:13
TTN that lunch system should be enforced. It still exists in some Oxford colleges.

Wrathmonk
31st Aug 2016, 21:17
Dougie M

Top place/course that - bu88er of a place to find mind! Definitely one of the better kept secrets in every sense of the word! 7 years later and my brick shed is still standing having never 'laid a brick' prior. Even the SOP bird box has survived the test of time (and being blown out of the tree on occasions).

chevvron
1st Sep 2016, 04:32
When the RAF Officers Mess at Farnborough was closed, I was offered membership of one of the Aldershot messes; having read the above I'm glad I declined!
Only Army Officers Mess I've had experience of was the small one at Benbecula which in my judgement was of the same standard as RAF messes.

TEEEJ
4th Sep 2016, 22:58
There will be a re-enactment featuring on BBC Crimewatch. Monday 5th September at 9pm.

Serviceman to describe how he fought for his life during attempted abduction at RAF Marham in BBC Crimewatch appeal - Crime - Eastern Daily Press (http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/serviceman_to_describe_how_he_fought_for_his_life_during_att empted_abduction_at_raf_marham_in_bbc_crimewatch_appeal_1_46 82825)

BBC One - Crimewatch, 05/09/2016 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07v6nrx)

Heathrow Harry
5th Sep 2016, 11:02
You know the police don't have a clue when it appears on Crimewatch..................

WIDN62
5th Sep 2016, 21:21
Talking to a senior Army officer a few years ago - he said "We love it when the RAF closes a base and we can take it over - the soldiers think they have been put in the Hilton".
Having done resettlement courses at Tidworth and Aldershot since, I see what he meant.

oldspook
6th Sep 2016, 12:49
And the other way round - when on the rare occasion we took back a base from the Pongoes (Kirton-in-Lindsey 2004) we had an expensive and lengthy programme to get the place back to normality. The OM was in a state - dreadful dark wallpaper, I seem to remember and those ghastly Pongo brown leather armchairs were rapidly dumped, and the rooms needed a lot of TLC. The place had been trashed. OMQs were not much better and also needed much maintenance and major works.

langleybaston
6th Sep 2016, 13:03
We digress, but the RAF OM at JHQ Rheindahlen was fine. Then it became "Joint" with the run-down, "Churchill Mess".

The army behaviour [and worse, that of their offspring] soured several major events. At OktoberFest walking on and across the table was perceived as nothing extraordinary, and the bogs were in an indescribable state such that the civilian cleaners refused to deal with them in the morning.

We more or less blanked the Mess for our last year or so.

Pity.

57mm
6th Sep 2016, 19:15
A certain army officer in JHQ kept his pony in the OMQ cellar......

Pontius Navigator
7th Sep 2016, 15:59
57mm, they grew mushrooms too?