PDA

View Full Version : Pave Low Helo

taxydual
27th Jul 2016, 07:07
I watched an old episode of the West Wing last night.

The Pave Low Helo was mentioned but pronounced

Pay Vay Lew

What's the correct pronunciation?

I'm sad, I know.

BATCO
27th Jul 2016, 10:54
TaxyD

No idea on Pave Low (I'm waiting for replies on that too). But I am always amused at Americans pronounciation of 'arms/weapons cache' as 'arms/weapons cachay'.

However it may be pronounced when linked with 'Low', I have only ever heard the more expected 'payv' when connected with -'Spike', -'Hawk', -'Tack' and -'Way'.

Regards
Batco

Out Of Trim
27th Jul 2016, 10:57
See. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paveway. :ok:

Tourist
27th Jul 2016, 11:49
OOT

Relevance of a bomb to a helicopter?

sandiego89
27th Jul 2016, 12:15
I've always heard of it as Pave Low here in the US. With pave rhyming with grave. And Pave Hawk for the H-60 version.

Generally West Wing was OK, but I found the dialog was often unrealistic, no one talks like that....

Evalu8ter
27th Jul 2016, 12:20
Tourist,
I guess the acronym "precision avionics vectoring equipment" was considered apropos given the highly advanced nature (at the time) of some of the avionics on the platform (INS, TFR etc). Everyday's a schoolday - I always thought "Pave" was a USAF Compartment run from a VSO's office, such a "Senior", "Have", "Tacit" and "Constant".....Thanks for the link OOT.

Edit - I know it's Wiki, but this is interesting...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAVE

Two's in
27th Jul 2016, 12:37
But I am always amused at Americans pronounciation of 'arms/weapons cache' as 'arms/weapons cachay'

Tangent Alert! Not intending to start one of those interminable rants about 'English English", but the British use of Fillet pronounced "Fill-it" whereas every other French word is pronounced flamboyantly and extravagantly with a French panache, is intriguing!

Autobahnstormer
27th Jul 2016, 12:48
Well there was a fishmonger's daughter.......:E

Interesting that the colonials also have a fast food chain called Chick Fil-A.

ABS

Lonewolf_50
27th Jul 2016, 13:00
The correct pronunciation is Pave Low. Spent some time working with a CSAR cell run by the USAF. Pave Hawk likewise.

BATCO: that's funny, and I presume that you must not speak to very many Americans. Cache is pronounced Cash when it means "place to put stuff." Even some of the twits on the news get that right. I have never heard anyone pronounce it "cachay" beyond a few middle-schoolers who are first learning the word.

BATCO
27th Jul 2016, 13:06
LW50
"BATCO: that's funny, and I presume that you must not speak to very many Americans." - 6 months in BANSKO Ops in Zagreb, 6 months in CJTF7 in Baghdad, and 6 months in IJC/Kabul. Plenty of Americans to talk to and listen to, all of whom I regarded as 100% professional and definitely not 'middle schoolers'. Not so many here in Paris, but plenty of natives Frenchmen to pick me (too often!) up on my pronounciation.

" Cache is pronounced Cash when it means "place to put stuff." - I know, that was my point.

" I have never heard anyone pronounce it "cachay" beyond a few middle-schoolers who are first learning the word." - In my counter experience near 100% of US briefers in Baghdad and Kabul pronounced it cachay.

Ah well, tant pis.

Regards
Batco

pasta
27th Jul 2016, 13:10
Tangent Alert! Not intending to start one of those interminable rants about 'English English", but the British use of Fillet pronounced "Fill-it" whereas every other French word is pronounced flamboyantly and extravagantly with a French panache, is intriguing!
Ah, but "fillet" is an English word; the French one is spelt differently.

At least we pronounce the name of the famous artist Vincent Van Gogh in a way that approximately resembles the way the Dutch say it...

taxydual
27th Jul 2016, 16:13
Thanks all.

President Joshia Bartlet wasn't always right!

Mogwi
27th Jul 2016, 16:51
I believe that it is pronounced "Von Hoch" in cloggie - but I am sure someone will correct moi.

ShyTorque
27th Jul 2016, 20:02
I was privileged to fly both the Pave Low and the Pave Hawk, sadly a very long time ago now. But they were pronounced exactly as written. No French accents.

teeteringhead
29th Jul 2016, 07:50
Remember hearing once of a cousin talking about "M 15" as if it were a motorway near Scampton....

Then it dawned from the context he meant our Security Services ..... :ok:

But I guess if you've only seen it in print and never heard it ....

.... similarly one recalls a senior officer who always pronounced "albeit" (which he used a lot!) as "Al Bite".

pasta
29th Jul 2016, 09:20
As someone once said to me, "Don't look down on someone because they mispronounce a word; it means they learned it by reading..."

Tankertrashnav
29th Jul 2016, 10:12
Don't get me started on George Bernard Shaw ;)

I believe that it is pronounced "Von Hoch" in cloggie - but I am sure someone will correct moi.

My son's Dutch wife has tried to teach me how to pronounce it cloggie fashion, but I cant do it without soaking the listener with saliva!

Hempy
30th Jul 2016, 13:10
Lieutenant?? :E:}

taxydual
30th Jul 2016, 17:53
I'll see your Lieutenant (Lootenant) and raise you with Featherstonehaugh.

taxydual
30th Jul 2016, 21:27
Ah

No need to respond. It's not aviation related.

Oh, the pronunciation of Featherstonehaugh is Fanshawe.

The English have a great way with noun's.

hoodie
30th Jul 2016, 21:44
The English have a great way with noun's.

...apostrophe's also. :E

taxydual
31st Jul 2016, 05:26
...apostrophe's also. http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

Doh !

Endex