PDA

View Full Version : Brimstone 2 arrives - at last......

Heathrow Harry
20th Jul 2016, 11:00
Over 3 years late.................. :(:(

Brimstone 2 finally declared operational with UK Tornado GR4 | IHS Jane's 360 (http://www.janes.com/article/62363/brimstone-2-finally-declared-operational-with-uk-tornado-gr4?utm_campaign=%5bPMP%5d_PC5308_J360%2020.7.2016%20_KV_Dep loyment&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua)

Following successful completion of a series of delayed operational evaluation trials in February 2016, the UK Royal Air Force (RAF) has finally declared an initial operating capability (IOC) for the Brimstone 2 low collateral precision strike surface-to-air weapon with its Tornado GR4 multirole combat aircraft. IOC was achieved in May but formally announced on 13 July at the Farnborough International Airshow 2016.
Nonetheless, the IOC is some 43 months beyond the originally projected October 2012 in-service date, and 66 months since demonstration and manufacture (D&M) approval in March 2010 under the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) - MBDA Portfolio Management Agreement (Interim).
Selected in March 2010 to meet the UK MoD Selective Precision Effects At Range (SPEAR) Capability 2 requirement under the Complex Weapons pipeline, Brimstone 2 is the RAF designator for what MBDA going forward will refer to simply as 'Brimstone' - essentially to distinguish it from the earlier single-mode millimetre wave (mmW; operating at the near optical wavelength of 94 Ghz) Brimstone and Dual Mode Brimstone (DMB) variants.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jul 2016, 11:15
Can the GR4 launch the missile before take-off against enemy aircraft then?

jonw66
20th Jul 2016, 11:33
Just don't see the point Pontius

Cazalet33
20th Jul 2016, 11:37
Brimstone 2 low collateral precision strike surface-to-air weapon

Shome mishtake, shurely.

bluetail
20th Jul 2016, 12:05
Interesting, I reckon I may have taken a photo of a XV(R) Sqn jet with a live one fitted yesterday, it took off with it fitted and returned with it missing. I,ll put up the image tonight for the experts to view.

Heathrow Harry
20th Jul 2016, 13:32
Cazalet - I'm only quoting IHS - and they are probably using an MoD press release from the idiot-speak in it

but it might well explain the delay.............

bluetail
20th Jul 2016, 16:14
Tornado @ Lossiemouth yesterday with a live Brimstone fitted

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/bluetail228/TORNADO%20GR.4%20ZD849-110%20BRIMSTONE%20FIT%20LOSS%2019-7-16%202_zps2ogxfghl.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/user/bluetail228/media/TORNADO%20GR.4%20ZD849-110%20BRIMSTONE%20FIT%20LOSS%2019-7-16%202_zps2ogxfghl.jpg.html)

Lonewolf_50
20th Jul 2016, 16:27
Better late than never. At least it's now available if needed.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jul 2016, 18:46
HH, we weren't shooting the messenger.

Jon, passed me by too :)

jonw66
21st Jul 2016, 01:11
Poor attempt at irony pontius.
Was with you all the way.
As you say HH was just quoting from elsewhere.
Regards
Jon

Chugalug2
22nd Jul 2016, 08:16
jon:-
Poor attempt at irony pontius.

Unfair! A light touch comment on an unforgiveable editing blunder for which someone should get their collar felt (they won't of course).

I found Pontius's comment amusing, and his reply to you was gracious. Yours was neither!

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jul 2016, 08:31
Now now Chug, I take no offence.

Chugalug2
22nd Jul 2016, 10:40
Duly chastened. I suspect it's a generation thing. Along with social media I don't do "It's only banter" either.

Heathrow Harry
22nd Jul 2016, 10:45
no offence here either!!!

Just good to hear it's arrived at last

Willard Whyte
22nd Jul 2016, 11:15
Tornado OOS date still MArch 31st '19?

Wageslave
22nd Jul 2016, 12:24
MBDA going forward

Is this to distinguish it from MBDA going backwards?

Does it do this often?

How, and why?

Heathrow Harry
22nd Jul 2016, 15:05
We always have to "go forward", and be "aspirational" and be "fit for purpose" and "best in class" and ......... whatever BS you want to insert.......

Brian W May
24th Jul 2016, 11:53
"I don't do it's only banter" ???

What are you doing here then? Come on chaps, banter was designed by God as a lubricant to the effects of Life . . .

jonw66
24th Jul 2016, 20:20
I'm lost but its been said before.
I haven't been on for a couple of days but have fun boys.

Lonewolf_50
24th Jul 2016, 20:30
Come on chaps, banter was designed by God as a lubricant to the effects of Life . . .
:confused: I thought that Guinness was the lubricant for the effects of life. Now I'm all confused. :ooh::(

jonw66
24th Jul 2016, 20:49
Guinness seems to be working for me LW is it as good out there

Lonewolf_50
24th Jul 2016, 21:47
It's good enough, when you can get it from a keg. :ok:

jonw66
24th Jul 2016, 22:18
Good good hope you enjoy bed time here take care pal

ORAC
28th Mar 2018, 08:03
MBDA deal may lead to British drone, Apache helo carrying Brimstone missile (https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2018/03/27/mbda-deal-may-lead-to-british-drone-apache-helo-carrying-brimstone-missile/)

LONDON — Missile-maker MBDA has secured a £400 million (U.S. $568 million) capability sustainment program with the U.K. government, which will extend the service life of the country’s Brimstone air-to-surface missile. The deal could also lead to the weapon’s use on British attack helicopters and drones.

The contract will see the current Brimstone 2 weapon enhanced with software and a number of other updates. In addition, MBDA will manufacturer an unknown number of new missiles to replenish Britain’s inventory. The capability sustainment opens up the path for Britain to field the weapon on Boeing Apache attack helicopters operated by the British Army and the new Protector UAV being acquired for the Royal Air Force to replace its Reaper fleet.

“The announcement today [March 27], while focused on Typhoon fast-jet capability, in reality enables [the Ministry of Defence] at a point of their choosing to decide what other platforms they want it on. ... We hope for good progress on both [programs] this year,” said Chris Allam , MBDA’s group engineering director and the managing director of MBDA UK.

MBDA executives declined to provide dates for the upgrade and manufacture of the weapon, but said the work will extend the missile’s service life beyond 2030. Production work in the U.K. could get underway later this year, said one executive......

The Brimstone 2 entered service with the Royal Air Force in 2016 and is itself an update from an earlier version, with improvements like an insensitive munition-compliant rocket motor and warhead. The new-build Brimstone missiles will incorporate all of the improved functionalities offered by the spiral upgrades of Brimstone that have taken place over recent years in order to meet U.K. operational requirements,” the company said in a March 27 statement. “The effort will also include a significant memory and processing update to the missile in order to enable all of Brimstone’s functionalities and to future-proof the missile.”

MBDA said the software enhancements being incorporated into the weapon will produce a common stockpile of missiles for use on fast jets, attack helicopters and remotely piloted vehicles.

The weapon is only operational on Tornado strike jets for the moment, but British work on the integration of the missile on the Typhoon jet is coming to a close ahead of it entering service on the aircraft by 2019. The integration of Brimstone on the Royal Air Forces’s Typhoons opens up opportunities with the growing list of customers for the fast jet. Saudi Arabia is the only export customer to date, and even that hasn’t been officially announced. Britain is yet to announce its intention to arm new Apache and Protector capabilities with Brimstone, but the decision to push through the missile upgrade is a strong signal of the country’s intention to do so. Some updates planned for the Brimstone 2 are in part aimed at helicopter and remotely piloted vehicle operations.

Allam said the contract “tells you all you need to know about how the U.K. feels about Brimstone. The contract will refresh the technology in the missile and enable production to continue into 2030,” he told reporters at a briefing.