PDA

View Full Version : Odd looking military airlifter at Farnborough

tartare
12th Jul 2016, 06:32
Were watching BBC World last night.
Aaron Hazelhurst (who makes Richard Quest look calm and relaxed) was presenting from Farnborough, talking to Qatar's CEO.
But what caught my eye was the aircraft in the background.
It looked like a twin engined (I swear) C-17, with Airbus-style winglets (that projected both up and down from the end of the main wing).
It had a very visible apu exhaust, and cutouts in the main gear sponsoon doors to clear the main gear.
Looked like a standard clamshell rear door, and was finished in RAM grey colour-scheme.
I thought it might have been a KC-390 - but it looked too big.
Anyone have any idea what I saw??
Somefing Chinese or Roosian?
A mock-up of something planned?
Maybe I shouldn't have had that second Chardonnay...

ETOPS
12th Jul 2016, 06:38
Japanese?

http://www.military-today.com/aircraft/kawasaki_c2.jpg

Kawasaki C-2

treadigraph
12th Jul 2016, 06:40
Antonov AN178?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Antonov_An-178_in_military_grey_colours.jpeg

tartare
12th Jul 2016, 06:42
That's it Treadi... many thanks.
Ta ETOPS - didn't even know the C-2 existed - interesting.

SpringHeeledJack
12th Jul 2016, 10:36
There is a Brazilian Air Force KC-390 at Farnborough, although with a civvy registration PT-ZNF. Maybe it shrank in the rain yesterday ?

Rengineer
12th Jul 2016, 12:15
Saw the Antonov 178 at ILA a few weeks ago. Nice bird, always thought it looked like a modernized BA-146 converted to two decent engines.

Lonewolf_50
14th Jul 2016, 07:11
Antonov AN178?

Wrong number of wheels. ETOP's bird has two three double rigs on each side in the picture, the Antonov two wheels on each side. Also see nose, one more rounded, one more pointy (An178).

My first instinct was to guess the new Brazillian, but I'd need to look at pix again more closely. Ah, looks like ETOPS got an ID on the Kawasaki.

treadigraph
14th Jul 2016, 07:30
Lonewolf, I was replying to Tartare with a (correct as it happens) suggestion for the aircraft he accurately described - winglets and cut outs in the gear doors don't match the C-2 or the KC-390 and the Kawasaki isn't at Farnborough as far as I know.

Lonewolf_50
18th Jul 2016, 23:08
Lonewolf, I was replying to Tartare with a (correct as it happens) suggestion for the aircraft he accurately described - winglets and cut outs in the gear doors don't match the C-2 or the KC-390 and the Kawasaki isn't at Farnborough as far as I know. Oh, I though the Kawasaki was being shown landing at Farnborough, but I was so intent on the plane that I forgot to look at the background! :ooh: Oops, the pint's on me!

Buster Hyman
19th Jul 2016, 01:38
Interesting to see that the An-178 leaves the wheels exposed, like the 737, yet doesn't make use of 'hub caps', like the 737.