PDA

View Full Version : Video: Cable snaps on USS Eisenhower during landing

SpazSinbad
10th Jul 2016, 04:09
Cable snaps on USS Eisenhower during landing
Published on Jul 8, 2016 The Virginian-Pilot
"Eight sailors were injured aboard the USS Eisenhower when an arresting cable snapped during an E-2C Hawkeye's landing in March 2016. Read all about the incident:
TEXT: Navy: Human error to blame for March cable break aboard USS Eisenhower flight deck | Local Military | pilotonline.com (http://bit.ly/29xaUdZ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EHwYOfY94

Trackmaster
10th Jul 2016, 05:00
All concern for the flight-deck crew...but that would be a high heart-rate event for the crew of the Hawkeye!

West Coast
10th Jul 2016, 05:07
Wow, that is cause for new underwear...

Stuntmole
10th Jul 2016, 07:02
"The report credits the “phenomenal airmanship” by the Hawkeye’s crew"....yep, I'll go with that; awesome save from the Screwtops. BZ!!

Heathrow Harry
10th Jul 2016, 07:56
yeah - I was taught early on to stay well clear of any cable under tension - such as a tow line on a boat or anything attached to a winch................... when they snap that a lot of energy suddenly running amok

Hydromet
10th Jul 2016, 11:55
Had a 3/8" wire rope snap when winching a vehicle. It went off like a rifle shot, and would have cut in half anyone who had been standing in the way. Like HH, was taught not to do so.

PPRuNeUser0139
10th Jul 2016, 13:48
Wonder how low they got on that nightmare situation..

BZ to the crew..:D

Lima Juliet
10th Jul 2016, 15:33
I understand that 8 ground crew were hurt by the cable. I wish them a speedy recovery.

http://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/navy-human-error-to-blame-for-march-cable-break-aboard/article_c4675c54-6cdc-5882-867a-68f961145c9d.html

SASless
10th Jul 2016, 16:15
Now.....let's hear some Air Force Zoomies tell us about that dreaded mid-day VFR approach and landing to a 10,000 x 150 foot Runway.:E

Herod
10th Jul 2016, 16:41
HOLY SH*T! Give that crew a medal. I wonder what speed they were at when it went over the end. Barely flying speed at a guess.

Lonewolf_50
10th Jul 2016, 16:44
And that, ladies, is why you go to max power when you catch the wire. I note that the video is dated March of this year.

Knew a guy who, during initial CQ, didn't go to max in the wire each time. The second time he failed to get it right, the LSO told him not to come back. He didn't end up completing the course.

Lyneham Lad
10th Jul 2016, 17:08
And that, ladies, is why you go to max power when you catch the wire. I note that the video is dated March of this year.

Out of interest, typically at what point in the 'arresting phase' do the crew think "OK, we're down, lets throttle back etc" ? Do they always wait until zero forward speed?

Best wishes for full recoveries to the injured crew members.

APG63
10th Jul 2016, 18:44
When you stop going forward.

megan
11th Jul 2016, 02:02
Before going to the boat for the first time we were shown a video of assorted don't do's and prangs. One was of an A-4 that went over the side after a wire snap. Kept it airbourne for a long, long time with an incredible nose up (seemed like 30° or so from memory) waltzing along with the bottom of the tailpipe in the water at what seemed almost like walking pace. Finally flopped down and pilot climbed out.

Buster Hyman
11th Jul 2016, 04:50
Wow, just wow. About 4 seconds out of sight from that camera & having watched before reading, I thought they'd gone.

SpazSinbad
11th Jul 2016, 06:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mGrfKkwPWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdV6zSjnJ5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrtvoAfbW3Q

KenV
11th Jul 2016, 12:59
Out of interest, typically at what point in the 'arresting phase' do the crew think "OK, we're down, lets throttle back etc" ? Do they always wait until zero forward speed?Basically, when you stop moving forward relative to the flight deck and start to get pulled back by the cross deck pendant (arresting cable), you throttle back to idle and raise the hook so the cable is released from the hook (You still have airspeed at that point because there's typically 25+ knots wind over the deck, so no you don't wait for zero airspeed.) At the same time you look for the yellow shirt (plane director) to give you the signal to throttle back up when the cable is released so you can taxi out of the foul area. During daylight Case 1 ops (good weather) the next aircraft is only 45 seconds behind you so you want your aircraft beyond the foul line quickly so the LSO does not have to give a "foul deck" wave off to the next aircraft. If the cable snags on the arresting hook, a green shirt will use a stick with a hook on the end to pull the cable off your arresting hook. This is very dangerous work and why the pilot MUST wait to get his throttle direction from the yellow shirt or else he may blow the green shirt off the deck if he's still behind the aircraft when he throttles up.

Wander00
11th Jul 2016, 15:00
I guess the pilot received the US equivalent of a "Green Endorsement"

langleybaston
11th Jul 2016, 15:54
to go with the brown trousers I suspect.

Lyneham Lad
11th Jul 2016, 16:05
KenV - thanks for the info.

Onceapilot
11th Jul 2016, 19:45
Best wishes to those who were injured. Well, even allowing for 25kts wind over deck, it looks like they barely had 75kts IAS off the end !:D
It would be interesting to know what speeds they experienced in the initial fly away?

OAP

Above The Clouds
11th Jul 2016, 20:07
Wow, I bet his ass chewed one hell of a hole in that seat while waiting for the engines to respond.

For all those injured, get well soon you all do a great job, well done.

Hangarshuffle
11th Jul 2016, 20:09
All looks a bit too fast.

Above The Clouds
11th Jul 2016, 20:12
Hangarshuffle
Obviously way too fast to recover, and looks barely even controlled. A failure, really. Was the crew courts martialled then? Or because it was only other ranks who were injured, that's all ok they flew off?Terrible.

Would you mind putting that in to plain English ? :confused:

Hangarshuffle
11th Jul 2016, 20:14
The landing looks way too fast.

Lonewolf_50
11th Jul 2016, 20:17
The landing looks way too fast.
Just out of curiosity, are you a qualified E-2 LSO?

Hangarshuffle
11th Jul 2016, 20:17
Yea I edited my reply but it looks way too fast, looks all wrong. I'm way up for congratulating people for surviving but consider the workers, many of whom here were seriously injured.

Hangarshuffle
11th Jul 2016, 20:19
Its way too fast. Unless the film is speeded up.

Lonewolf_50
11th Jul 2016, 20:23
Yea I edited my reply but it looks way too fast, looks all wrong. I'm way up for congratulating people for surviving but consider the workers, many of whom here were seriously injured.
I am going to guess that the answers are:

1. No, you are not a qualified E-2 LSO
2. No, you didn't bother to read the attached link with the report on the mechanical malfunction to do with the wire. In the future, it might be best to do a little reading.

Everyone of us who has ever served on an aircraft carrier, as soon as we read that the wire had parted during landing, immediately thought "Oh no, how many on the deck got taken out by the wire!"
Thankfully, none dead; sadly some injured.
The applause to the crew was to keep the bird out of the drink. No small feat. Your offensive assertion and assumption that applause for the crew indicates a lack of thought for the deck crew is a piss poor assumption.

tartare
12th Jul 2016, 05:39
Spaz - at around 18 secs on that `Bring her down some' video is that a rooster tail you can see on the water from the exhaust?!
Did he flare, or just get caught by a gust... that seemed like a very high approach over the fantail.

ehwatezedoing
12th Jul 2016, 07:27
:eek:

Not sure if it would have been the same outcome from the "Charles de Gaulle"
Good thing step down to the water was high...

Tourist
12th Jul 2016, 07:33
Hangar, it astonishes me that you are willing to come on a thread and decree that the pilots messed up despite having never made a deck landing in your life.

how old are you?

TURIN
12th Jul 2016, 08:54
Do not feed the Troll.

charliegolf
12th Jul 2016, 08:59
Now.....let's hear some Air Force Zoomies tell us about that dreaded mid-day VFR approach and landing to a 10,000 x 150 foot Runway.

Or the dreaded and hazardous B52 7-engine approach!

CG

SpazSinbad
12th Jul 2016, 09:23
'tartare asked: "Spaz - at around 18 secs on that `Bring her down some' video is that a rooster tail you can see on the water from the exhaust?! Did he flare, or just get caught by a gust... that seemed like a very high approach over the fantail."
I do not see a rooster tail at 18 seconds or at any other time. The approach appears 'high over the ramp' because IMHO the camera angle makes the approach seem 'high'. The LSO would not let that chap do anything crazy during the approach and if it was bad the aircraft would be waved off toot sweet - safely.

Looks like the throttle is brought to idle in error OR like the TA-4J 'throttle gets caught in the detent' (which is weird and requires a lot of imagination). Anyway the throttle does get to 'full power' soon enough to enable the aircraft to fly away. The A-4 undercarriage drops a lot in flight; so the aircraft cannot get too close to the water for ground / water effect to have much of an impact; but I can only guess. My only flared A4G landings were LPAs Low Precautionary Approaches at 160 KIAS with energy to flare - air force style above more usual Opt AoA no flare landings at between say 110-120 for example.

As for 'flaring off the front end' to stay out of the water I do not believe that has happened although we cannot see the attitude too well from camera vantage point then. The best performance is gained at optimum angle of attack so I would guess, having been well trained, that the pilot is at Opt AoA as the engine accelerates; or is at full power near the water to climb away at best. Pulling the nose higher is counterproductive in a delta wing aircraft unless JATO on.

This slow motion A4G arrest aboard HMAS Melbourne has the camera at a similar position I think - watch the 'hook runner' in motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL5eMoBCniY

KenV
12th Jul 2016, 17:59
Wow, I bet his ass chewed one hell of a hole in that seat while waiting for the engines to respond.There should not have been any lag/spool up time for engine response because:
1. The pilot should have had the throttles to full power as soon as he hit the deck, so when the cable parted and the Hawkeye went over the end of the deck the engines should already have been at full power.
2. The Hawkeye is fitted with T-56 engines, similar but more powerful than the C-130's and P-3's T-56 engines. The T-56 is a single spool engine with a constant RPM prop. In the air they are always at 100% RPM so there is no spool up time. They respond essentially instantly to an increase in throttle.

SpazSinbad
12th Jul 2016, 18:29
"...Did he flare, or just get caught by a gust... that seemed like a very high approach over the fantail."
Because that was 'tartare' last sentence I thought it referred to 'off the deck & climb away after the bolter'. However rereading it seems the sentence refers to 'at the ramp' coming over the deck/wires.

There is a trick of the light - either the white water from ship propellors or paint at round down causes the under reflection to change dramatically, giving the impression that the AoA has changed equally (the under A-4 paint is white) - but I do not think so. Sure the aircraft does something weird 'over the wires' to cause a bolter, probably too much power, which was then reduced to idle, (or raised nose but no one flares in naval aviation) and then some time to accelerate the engine when no arrest (when pilot was perhaps thinking aircraft would arrest?). All is well that ends well however unless that pilot has a good reason to explain, or was a total beginner, then he would be 'beached' probably.

Hook Runners & A4Gs MELBOURNE then 'under aircraft light change' at the ramp,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCITLk6tDU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mPGlKpVAaU

4Greens
13th Jul 2016, 18:55
Had a wire failure on landing as it was on a Gannet setting and I was in a Scimitar. Just managed to steer onto main deck. Full power and I would be lost as I was slowed up initially. Green endorsement for my effort. All I did was save myself.

Arfur Dent
13th Jul 2016, 19:10
Well done 4G - Harrier pilot or just a co-incidental C/S - anyway good for you.

Engines
13th Jul 2016, 19:16
Arfur,

I think '4 greens' has been a standard call for naval aviators for a long time - it means ' three wheels and the hook down'.

Or you're cracking a joke - my bad if I misunderstood

Best regards as ever to all those doing carrier landings in whatever aircraft

Engines

Tourist
13th Jul 2016, 19:40
4Greens

You'll probably know my dad.

He had a Scimitar event on landing. His did not end so well.

As he put it "a lesson in making sure you have full power on as you land."

He got wet.
Great pictures though!

Lonewolf_50
13th Jul 2016, 20:20
jargon update: Green Endorsement ... is that like our reference to a "long green table" (possible risk to one's wings?)

John Eacott
13th Jul 2016, 21:54
jargon update: Green Endorsement ... is that like our reference to a "long green table" (possible risk to one's wings?)

It's a logbook endorsement written in green ink: UK version of a 'well done' ;)

Lonewolf_50
14th Jul 2016, 07:08
It's a logbook endorsement written in green ink: UK version of a 'well done' ;)
Ah, quite the opposite of the green table.
(Green ink used in our log books used to connote combat sorties, not sure if it still does).

Arfur Dent
14th Jul 2016, 19:03
4G - I didn't know the 4th was for the hook! Makes a lot of sense and I am in awe of anyone who lands anything on a carrier - especially at night. In the RAF (as far as I know) the Harrier was our only "Finals 4 Greens" a/c.Thanks for putting me right.

charliegolf
14th Jul 2016, 19:21
In the RAF (as far as I know) the Harrier was our only "Finals 4 Greens" a/c.

When I was at Gut, early 80s, we Puma types were made to change from '3 greens', to Gear down', 'cos it confused the Harrier gods. (So we decided! Actually for ATC's benefit, I believe.)

CG

JPJP
14th Jul 2016, 19:39

Knew a guy who, during initial CQ, didn't go to max in the wire each time. The second time he failed to get it right, the LSO told him not to come back. He didn't end up completing the course.
I was flying with a retired C2 guy last week. We discussed the video. One interesting fact emerged - unlike the jets, they do not go to full power after landing. The reason being that the aircraft yaws under application of full power, and this may result in damage or disengagement of the wire or hook. With a less than optimum result. I assume that the E2 has the same procedure, but didn't ask.

Thought it was interesting.

Lonewolf_50
14th Jul 2016, 20:17
I was flying with a retired C2 guy last week. We discussed the video. One interesting fact emerged - unlike the jets, they do not go to full power after landing. The reason being that the aircraft yaws under application of full power, and this may result in damage or disengagement of the wire or hook. With a less than optimum result. I assume that the E2 has the same procedure, but didn't ask.

Thought it was interesting. Learn something new every day, thanks. :ok: The gent I was referring to left the program while flying T-45 ... never got to the RAG for any fleet aircraft.

SpazSinbad
15th Jul 2016, 15:36
DETAILS: Horrific cable mishap caused by maintenance errors: Navy (http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/07/14/horrific-cable-mishap-caused-maintanence-errors-navy/87032244/)

"...The plane came within 20 feet of strike[sic] the water, the report said...."

Lonewolf_50
17th Jul 2016, 20:52
:8 19 feet to spare?

SpazSinbad
11th Aug 2016, 16:03
Three Screwtops Pilots Awarded Armed Forces Air Medal

"...With Halliwell in the pilot's seat, the Hawkeye touched down on the flight deck and caught the wire. As they began to decelerate, the arresting cable snapped and they found themselves rolling ever closer to the edge of the landing area.

"It all happened in about eight seconds," said Smith, who has been flying for 12 years. "While we were decelerating we heard a loud snap. When we would normally be coming to a stop, we weren't. Our years of training kicked in and we reacted on instinct. I slapped back the ditching hatch (Hawkeyes do not have ejection seats) as we cleared the deck and began a deep settle (significant descent). I would guess we were about 10 feet from the water before we lifted back up, but Lt. Smith expertly kept us climbing away. It was a sigh of relief when we were back in the air. It helps to know that at the critical moment, all we practice for this scenario actually works. The experience has made me much more confident in my training."..."

Three Screwtops Pilots Awarded Armed Forces Air Medal (http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=96159)

MPN11
11th Aug 2016, 16:46
I lost the plot somewhere. Lt or Lt Cdr Smith? Who was the PF - Smith or Halliwell? And why 3 medals? What did they all do?

A very confusing article, despite the BZ they all deserved.

Onceapilot
11th Aug 2016, 19:55
Hope the injured are all doing well. Yes, a little strange to read. The situation would seem to merit something like a Green Endorsement in UK terms? Got to say, the US decorations confuse me. I wonder if it confuses them?:confused:

OAP

SpazSinbad
12th Aug 2016, 04:33
"...What did they all do?" CRM Crew Resource Management was one avenue for the good work I'll assume (no experience though for me in a single seater) and this quote in the article from the XO (senior pilot):
"...The Screwtops' Executive Officer, Cmdr. Darryl Martin, stated the decoration was more about showing appreciation for the training the pilots received throughout their careers than for what they did to save the aircraft...."

SpazSinbad
12th Aug 2016, 05:06
Redacted JAGman 47 page PDF: https://news.usni.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/REDACTED-JAGMAN_1.pdf FROM USNI News: https://news.usni.org/2016/08/11/3-pilots-involved-ikes-hawkeye-mishap-awarded-armed-forces-air-medal
COMMAND INVESTIGATION INTO THE FLIGHT DECK MISHAP ON USS DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER (CVN 69) ON 18 MARCH 2016 | 20 Jun 2016 Commander, Naval Air Force Atlantic
"...14. The Mishap Pilot (MP), now in the left seat as the pilot at the controls, returned to the pattern and completed one arrested landing. After launching from catapult number one, LT Halliwell executed two touch-and-go landings, then lowered the tailhook in preparation for completing his final trap.

15. On the mishap approach, the mishap flight crew "called the ball" with 3,300 pounds of fuel, corresponding to a landing weight of 45,200 pounds.

16. The mishap aircraft rolled into the groove slightly above glideslope and on centerline. The MP flew an uneventful gear down, hook down, 20 degree flap, maximum rudder, on-speed approach. The aircraft went slightly low and slightly flat at the ramp, and the MP added power and engaged the number four arresting gear wire slightly left of centerline....

...24. On landing, the MP maintained power and initially sensed normal deceleration. Subsequently, all three mishap aircrew heard a loud bang, heard the tailhook re-contact the flight deck, and felt a shudder. Both pilots realized that "something" had happened and observed that they were continuing to roll towards the end of the landing area.

25. As the mishap aircraft engaged the four wire, the arresting gear engine failed to build sufficient pressure to effectively stop the mishap aircraft prior to the nominal service stroke of the arresting gear engine (183.9 inches). This failure resulted in a transfer of load to the number four wire, exceeding the breaking strength of the number four cross deck pendant (CDP).

26. The number four CDP parted at, or slightly to starboard, of the tailhook engagement point.

27. On the flight deck, the two sections of the parted number four CDP and purchase cable recoiled sharply and backlashed, injuring eight Sailors and damaging a C-2A and MH-60S.

28. Simultaneously, as the mishap aircraft rolled off the end of the flight deck, the mishap aircrew raised the landing gear, selected full (30 degree} flaps, opened and locked the copilot ditching hatch, and recovered the aircraft at an estimated 10-20 feet AGL. The aircrew noted no degradation in flying qualities and executed an uneventful straight-in recovery at Chambers Field, Naval Air Station Norfolk...."

SpazSinbad
13th Aug 2016, 02:01
"NAVAL AIR FORCE ATLANTIC
The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the AIR MEDAL (with Gold Numeral "1" for the First Award) to LIEUTENANT COMMANDER KELLEN L. SMITH UNITED STATES NAVY for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight as a Pilot of an E-2C aircraft assigned to Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron ONE TWO THREE onboard USS DWIGHT D EISENHOWER (CVN 69) on 18 March 2016. As his E-2C engaged the cross deck pendant and began to decelerate during a routine landing attempt, the wire unpredictably separated causing the aircraft to continue off the landing area well below a safe rotation speed. Knowing that the aircraft had minimal distance remaining and the requisite airspeed to rotate for takeoff, he and his crew were able to quickly reconfigure the aircraft for a high angle of attack attitude at near stall conditions to attempt a climb after making use of ground effect. Due to the split second reaction time, the E-2C was able to attain a positive rate of climb thus avoiding a ditch at sea which would have resulted in the loss of the aircraft and possibly the lives of the aircrew. By his skillful airmanship, steadfast aggressiveness, and exemplary devotion to duty in the face of hazardous flying conditions, Lieutenant Commander Smith reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

NAVAL AIR FORCE ATLANTIC
The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the AIR MEDAL (with Gold Numeral "1" for the First Award) to LIEUTENANT COMMANDER THOMAS J. BROWNING UNITED STATES NAVY for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight as a Combat Information Center Officer of an E-2C aircraft assigned to Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron ONE TWO THREE onboard USS DWIGHT D EISENHOWER (CVN 69) on 18 March 2016. As the E-2C engaged the cross deck pendant and began to decelerate, the wire unpredictably separated causing the aircraft to continue off the landing area. As the aircrew had very little runway distance remaining and the requisite airspeed to safely rotate for takeoff, the aircrew quickly recognized the condition and the pilots reconfigured the aircraft while setting a high angle of attack attitude to attempt a last ditch climb. Due to the aircrew's swift reaction time and proactive communication, the E-2C was able to climb thus avoiding a ditch which would have resulted in both the loss of the aircraft and possibly the lives of the aircrew. By his skillful airmanship, steadfast aggressiveness, and exemplary devotion to duty in the face of hazardous flying conditions, Lieutenant Commander Browning reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service."

https://news.usni.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/LCDR-BROWNING-AND-LCDR-SMITH.pdf
https://news.usni.org/2016/08/12/document-award-citation-3-pilots-involved-ike-cable-break

MPN11
13th Aug 2016, 09:19
What about Lt Halliwell? Wasn't he the one at the controls?

SpazSinbad
13th Aug 2016, 13:07
E-2C Hawkeye Arrestor Wire Break Recovery Medal Award

Direct Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dCjFrPPJOU

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l261/SpazSinbad/NewNewAllBum/E-2CmedalAwardVideoScreenieAircrewx2.jpg~original (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SpazSinbad/media/NewNewAllBum/E-2CmedalAwardVideoScreenieAircrewx2.jpg.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dCjFrPPJOU

Onceapilot
13th Aug 2016, 18:22
Sorry, after reading the citation, who-did-what in the aircraft is as clear as mud? :confused:

OAP

Tailspin Turtle
14th Aug 2016, 14:28

Thought it was interesting.

Jets take more time to spool up from approach thrust to maximum thrust than propeller-driven airplanes, even turboprops (the core of a turboprop engine is turning at full speed). There is therefore much less delay in reaching takeoff thrust in go-around or waveoff.

KenV
15th Aug 2016, 16:45
Jets take more time to spool up from approach thrust to maximum thrust than propeller-driven airplanes, even turboprops (the core of a turboprop engine is turning at full speed). That depends on the design of the turbine engine. Some turbo props are 2 spool and some single spool. Single spool engines operate at 100% RPM when airborne and thus there is no spool up time. The E-2's Rolls Royce/Allison T-56 engines are single spool. The ubiquitous P&W PT6 is a twin spool design and can take anywhere from 2 to 6 seconds to spool up.

SpazSinbad
29th Aug 2016, 09:07
"Maintain aircraft attitude" is key:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaqfbjjj7l4

wub
1st Sep 2016, 17:36
Video has just appeared on BBC News website!

Pontius
1st Sep 2016, 20:46
Am I the only one who is confused by the dishing out of gongs in this affair?

Smith and Halliwell are pilots, were sitting up the front and rescued the aircraft from a watery demise. Smith was the aircraft commander but Halliwell was the pilot flying. All clear so far and no snags with well-deserved awards.

BUT, Browning was a looker sat down the back. How on earth does he get an award for just sitting there crapping himself and hoping the blokes up the front do a good job? Was he the only guy down the back (a rhetorical question)? What happened to the others who were along for the ride or was Browning the only one who was a good mate of the Admiral?

In my mind, giving the same award to someone who didn't actually help to save the aircraft somewhat cheapens the whole effect......or did he bravely navigate them back to Norfolk (courtesy of Mr Garmin)?

flydive1
1st Sep 2016, 21:03
Smith and Halliwell are pilots, were sitting up the front and rescued the aircraft from a watery demise.

Did they do that to save the aircraft or themselves from the water?

West Coast
2nd Sep 2016, 20:36
Same outcome.

sycamore
3rd Sep 2016, 19:50
Maybe it`s all god crew cooperation;maybe he recognised a cable break before the pilots;maybe he yelled `bolter ,bolter,cable break` or anything else....
maybe he reads the checklists,and had the `RED` page handy,maybe he was looking out of the window,and saw the deck crew getting swiped...Who knows...?
Whatever,they did a great job saving themselves and the aircraft......