PDA

View Full Version : 'Black Mike' (XV582) update

Rhino power
6th Jul 2016, 22:03
After much turmoil over the last couple of years and the long awaited, successful purchase of XV582 (made possible by Gary Spoors of GJD Services on behalf of BF4PAG), stripping and disassembly of XV582 has now begun at Leuchars, prior to transportation to Bruntingthorpe!

There are some images of the initial stripping/disassembly at the groups fb page-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bf4pag/

The group have also set up a youtube channel to provide video updates as well-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HDqd-rrCQ&feature=share

The police investigation into the individual who made merry with the funds originally raised via the GoFundMe page to secure XV582 is still ongoing, and because GoFundMe page is an American company it's taking time but, hopefully the investigation will prove fruitful...

-RP

GeeRam
24th Jul 2016, 20:42
I've seen it posted elsewhere that they have been, so far unsuccessfully, trying to locate one of the UK F-4 Spey engine removal cradles to enable the engines to be removed so as to be able to remove the wings....???

Wageslave
24th Jul 2016, 21:54
I, along with 95% of the other readers of this thread will be wondering what "Black Mike" XV582 actually is? Wouldn't it be helpful to us outsiders to reveal this crucial piece of insider knowledge?

Or is this so exclusive that "outsiders" are not welcome here...? It certainly feels that way.

GeeRam
24th Jul 2016, 22:12
This should cover all.....

Aviation News ? The ?Save Black Mike? Campaign | GAR (http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2014/08/18/aviation-news-the-save-black-mike-campaign/)

NutherA2
24th Jul 2016, 22:19
what "Black Mike" XV582 actually is

XV582 was (is?) a Phantom FG1 (F4K) whch served with the RN and then with the RAF on 43 and 111 Squadrons. Its distinctive black paint finish was applied when this aircraft was used for displays while on 111, at which stage it;s squadron airframe letter was M.

After the F4 was phased out, "Black Mike" was mounted as gate guardian at Leuchars and was much admired by all of us who had flown this airframe.

Hope this helps.

Rhino power
24th Jul 2016, 22:59
Couple of minor corrections, NutherA2, Black Mike never served with the FAA, it was delivered straight to the RAF (43 Sqn), and it was never the gate guard at Leuchars either, that 'honour' was bestowed upon XT864 (now in NI with the Ulster Aviation Society). BM was always kept on base and used as a squadron mascot/airshow exhibit. :ok:

-RP

Rhino power
24th Jul 2016, 23:10
I, along with 95% of the other readers of this thread will be wondering what "Black Mike" XV582 actually is? Wouldn't it be helpful to us outsiders to reveal this crucial piece of insider knowledge?

Or is this so exclusive that "outsiders" are not welcome here...? It certainly feels that way.

Wageslave, I thought (obviously mistakenly) that providing links to XV582/Black Mike's fb group and youtube channel might just supply you with any additional 'insider knowledge' you may need?
As for feeling like an 'outsider', who is 'not welcome here', stop being so ridiculous...

-RP

Lonewolf_50
25th Jul 2016, 00:13
Beautiful bird. Nice pix, thanks for the links.

NutherA2
25th Jul 2016, 11:03
Couple of minor corrections
Thanks, Rhino, it seems the older I get the more errors creep in; I think I lost track while checking my log book & confused XV582 with XV572, both of which I had flown, the latter with 767 Sqn as well as 43.

falcon900
25th Jul 2016, 12:42
At the risk of being accused of thread creep and heresy with a single post, when reading this thread, I was struck again by a thought which has ocured to me often over the years:
Why not change the name of the BBMF (which isnt accurate as far as aircraft types is concerned) to The RAF historic flight, or something similar, and then expand the collection to include representatives of the iconic post war types? I know that money is an issue, but would the public not be happy to contribute? Would the public not be happier to see the aircraft preserved/maintained and if possible displayed, to RAF standards?
There wouldnt need to be a huge collection, and for me the relevant types would be Meteor, Hunter, Buccaneer, Lightning, Canberra, Vulcan, Phantom, Harrier, and in due course Tornado. I realise opinions may differ on at least this aspect!
Is it an impossible dream that the RAF could raise money from public subscription to enable some of these types to be returned to the air, and displayed in the manner so successfully adopted by the BBMF?
Just a thought.

AtomKraft
25th Jul 2016, 13:04
falcon.

Great idea!:ok:

Perhaps a bit unlikely to happen, for any number of reasons- but a great idea nonetheless.