PDA

View Full Version : RAF BLUE

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
4th Jul 2016, 07:07
Questions posed by a florist who was required to make up a wreath for an ex RAF guys funeral;

"What colour is RAF Blue in the Roundel?" "Where can a description of the colour be found?"

Aaron.

Lima Juliet
4th Jul 2016, 09:05
It depends which roundel:

RAF - The Royal Air Force RoundelThe Royal Air Force Roundel (http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/theroyalairforceroundel.cfm)

If you want the colours for the roundel in the RAF logo then the blue is Pantone 295c and the red is 186c. More info here on page 10: https://www.rafa.org.uk/Resources/MemberResources/29/RAF-Association-Brand-Guidelines-May-2013.pdf

LJ

Tankertrashnav
4th Jul 2016, 09:38
It may be a suitable time to comment on the covering for the coffin. From time to time requests come up for information on how to borrow or buy an RAF ensign to cover the coffin at an RAF funeral. In fact the RAF ensign should not be used for this purpose, the correct flag (if one is required) is the Union Jack (or Union Flag if you wish to be pedantic). There is a website offering RAF ensign coffin drapes for sale, but these people are either ignorant of the convention, or just ignore it.

Mandator
4th Jul 2016, 09:58
British Standard 381C has a specific reference for 'Roundel Blue' - BS381C - 110.

Wander00
4th Jul 2016, 10:59
TTN - et al - many funeral directors in UK hold a Union Flag for this purpose

FODPlod
4th Jul 2016, 11:42
Last year, I stripped, primed, painted and top-coated our tatty old white metal garage door and its wooden frame with lots of sanding in between. It's one of the house's few external features that hasn't yet been replaced with easy-care UPVC.

The new colour was called 'Vast Lakes'. For me, this conjured up glorious visions of sparkling land-locked waters reaching as far as the eye could see in the expanses of Alaska, Canada or the Siberian tundra.

My illusions were rudely shattered when SWMBO looked at the finished article and said, "That's Air Force blue." She should know. She was a teacher in RAF Germany when we first met.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z412/Anonymouse365/Garage20door.jpg

As I keep telling her, "When I say I'm going to do something, I do it. There's no need to nag me every year."

Danny42C
4th Jul 2016, 12:00
Would the foregoing info hold good for the blue and white of the A.C.S.E.A. roundel ?

Danny (well, you have to make contingency plans !)

Chugalug2
4th Jul 2016, 12:24
Am I the only one to be impressed that florists can now provide flowers to match any BS colour? All down to the white heat of technology I guess, as someone once famously said.

FODPlod, nice job. I see that you are in the Sunny South. Anywhere near West Sussex by any chance? Just wondering, you understand...

FODPlod
4th Jul 2016, 12:55
...FODPlod, nice job. I see that you are in the Sunny South. Anywhere near West Sussex by any chance? Just wondering, you understand...
Thank you. I am just across the border but like to keep myself current with several of the hostelries in West Sussex. especially in and around Emsworth. :)

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
4th Jul 2016, 13:06
I have today spoken to the Paint and Finishing Shop; at RAF Waddington and I was informed that the Blue is; Roundel Blue to BS381 537 . The Red is Signal Red to BS381 537.