PDA

View Full Version : Modern Immersion Suits

Treble one
30th Jun 2016, 21:10
Do Typhoon pilots wear separate Immersion suits or does their more modern Anti-g equipment serve a dual purpose?

I ask as I saw that Sqd Ldr Nichols apparently wore a more conventional looking immersion suit for his Transatlantic trip in the F-35?

TIA
TO

Stitchbitch
1st Jul 2016, 06:05
Still seperate TO. Both Typhoon and F35 drivers wear what's now called IPG (everything on Typhoon had to be renamed so it didn't sound legacy init) - immersion protection garment- which are a lot better than the old school Mk.10A /Mk.1 goon bags. Replacing the knitted onesie are TPGs-thermal protection garments. Lower Anti G protection is provided by the amusingly named FCAGT (or faggot-although our American cousins call them something else..). Hope this helps?

Treble one
1st Jul 2016, 06:39
Thanks Stitchbitch-I just don't recall ever seeing a Typhoon pilot wear something I would recognise as an immersion suit.

Even in a recent documentary on Sky about QRA, neither of the guys wore anything other than their 'usual' kit, which considering they have a fairly high chance of operating over the North Sea to intercept Russian aircraft I found a tad surprising-hence the question.

Thanks
TO

Sandy Parts
1st Jul 2016, 08:01
Surely you are not suggesting our sky gods would do something so common as to make an unplanned departure from their aircraft ;) And if the did, wouldn't they just stroll back over the oggin? :p

Treble one
1st Jul 2016, 09:54
Surely you are not suggesting our sky gods would do something so common as to make an unplanned departure from their aircraft ;) And if the did, wouldn't they just stroll back over the oggin? :p

I hope they never have to depart Sandy-however much they may want the tie :O However, if they do have to, it would be nice if they could survive in the sea until the Coastguard got there in one of those new shiny eggbeating things they drive....

Stitchbitch
1st Jul 2016, 18:08
TO the IPG is an 'internal' like the old MK.1 and worn under the flight jacket (life preserver) and FCAGTs so not easy to spot. Excuse the daily wail link but this explains things via picture form :). (Apps to TC too!).

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/06/article-2336526-1A2F4A14000005DC-304_470x582.jpg

57mm
1st Jul 2016, 18:39
That's TC and I claim my fiver!

Treble one
1st Jul 2016, 23:56
Thanks SB-its all very clear now.

All the best
TO