PDA

View Full Version : Mueller joining EK

Pages : [1] 2

notapilot15
27th Jun 2016, 16:04
There are rumors MH CEO Mueller joining EK as Chief Transformation Officer. I couldn't find any official announcement.

anson harris
27th Jun 2016, 17:24
Mueller? Mueller? Anybody?
Who?

Emma Royds
27th Jun 2016, 17:39
CEO at Malaysian. Leaves MH in September.

Can't see EK ever publicly hiring someone with such a title or mandate. It would amount to an admission that all is not well on the shop floor.

fliion
27th Jun 2016, 18:23
Very close personal friend of TA.

Their families vacation together .

Avid Aviator
27th Jun 2016, 18:44
How much will they pay him to transform EK into a basket case MH style??

Mrs Mangels
27th Jun 2016, 20:25
STC on the way out??
Obvious replacement

InnocentBystander
27th Jun 2016, 21:16
STC on the way out??
Obvious replacement

TA is TC's replacement, and Mueller will replace TA. TC has utterly failed to be MF's successor and has turned the whole company against him. Is there any other more despised senior executive besides AAR?

BigGeordie
27th Jun 2016, 21:25
What on earth is a "Chief Transformation Officer"? Sounds like they will need another table in Costa.

springbok449
27th Jun 2016, 21:42
Don't really remember CM doing much good for the pilots in either Sabena or Aer Lingus...

ruserious
28th Jun 2016, 05:30
Here you go
Malaysia Airlines? CEO To Work For Emirates (http://www.trandingnews.com/malaysia-airlines-ceo-to-work-for-emirates/)

allaru
28th Jun 2016, 11:01
Dr Muller to the rescue....

donpizmeov
28th Jun 2016, 11:45
I guess the 380 will have all the turns once he gets rid of the 777s. That's his thing isn't it? Bet our union reps are worried...oh wait.

MR8
28th Jun 2016, 15:29
Hmm, this news together with the alleged complete recruitment ban (except for pilots) might indeed indicate that EK is going to slim down it's back office staff. If that is the case, I will be all for it: no more Costa management, but a proper reduced back office structure where people actually do have responsibilities, and where you would know who to address for which problems or suggestions.
Emiratisation is a UAE thing, and for sure there's nothing CM can do about that (and I can't see why he should), as long as he can make sure that the right person is at the right place and actually DOING his/her job to their best abilities.
Don't know what his attitude is towards pilots, but worse then now is impossible. I am actually hoping he would observe and report the cancer that AAR is, and have it cut away, but that's probably some naive positive thinking...

MR8

Monarch Man
28th Jun 2016, 15:38
Hmm, this news together with the alleged complete recruitment ban (except for pilots) might indeed indicate that EK is going to slim down it's back office staff. If that is the case, I will be all for it: no more Costa management, but a proper reduced back office structure where people actually do have responsibilities, and where you would know who to address for which problems or suggestions.
Emiratisation is a UAE thing, and for sure there's nothing CM can do about that (and I can't see why he should), as long as he can make sure that the right person is at the right place and actually DOING his/her job to their best abilities.
Don't know what his attitude is towards pilots, but worse then now is impossible. I am actually hoping he would observe and report the cancer that AAR is, and have it cut away, but that's probably some naive positive thinking...

How many times have people had the thought, "ahhhh a breath of fresh air this new person will be, they'll sort it out" and yet, as time ticks inexorably by, the same intractable mindset of reduced accountability, cultural adjustment and finally punitive measures ensures the more things change, the more they stay the same.
This guy will be do his best to make his mark until he crosses the wrong Habibi at which point he will fall into line, or leave, it's all so depressingly predictable.

High 6
28th Jun 2016, 16:53
Well said MM, in fact his reason for leaving MH (personal reasons) is believed to be because he was not able to put a dent into the corruption that existed. Case in point is that a B747 was purchased behind his back, under a shady deal, so they say. He finally threw his hands up in disgust and has cut short his 3 year contract by many months.

A similar fate could await him in EK. "Crud runs thicker than water."

sluggums
28th Jun 2016, 18:17
Who the hell is TA?

White Knight
28th Jun 2016, 21:25
Emiratisation is a UAE thing

Hardly likely to be anything else:ok::}

But just ask our South African colleagues - same kind of thing happening at SAA so the idea certainly isn't unique!

Craggenmore
29th Jun 2016, 06:17
Who the hell is TA?

EVP Chief Commercial Officer?

lospilotos
29th Jun 2016, 07:43
Perhaps the queues at Costa will thin out when he joins...

JeremyB777
29th Jun 2016, 17:59
Don t know how bad it is but EK has just put all new ground employments on hold, only jobs for "locals" are advertised.

MR8
29th Jun 2016, 18:06
How many times have people had the thought, "ahhhh a breath of fresh air this new person will be, they'll sort it out" and yet, as time ticks inexorably by, the same intractable mindset of reduced accountability, cultural adjustment and finally punitive measures ensures the more things change, the more they stay the same.
This guy will be do his best to make his mark until he crosses the wrong Habibi at which point he will fall into line, or leave, it's all so depressingly predictable.

MM, I agree with you on most guys, but would like to point out a few key differences when it comes to Muller:

1. He allegedly quit Malaysian because he couldn't cope with the corruption. In my book that means that he is sincere in his way of doing things. (I know that he is ruthless, but al least he seems to believe in what he is doing). Also, Sheik A probably knows this as well..
2. Other guys where people might have been thinking "a breath of fresh air" usually aren't coming in the company directly at this high of a position, with the task of thinning out the weeds... Muller isn't exactly on a position like TCAS, MM (training), JA or Dunnowho. He will be hired in the highes echelons of Emirates. The only 'habibi' he will have to answer to is called Maktoum, the other guy will be TC.
3. Rumor is that EK has a complete hiring stop (apart from pilots)... Seems that they do know their overhead of Costa staff is too high.

So yes, I might be naive, but I am quite curious on what's going on, and I don't think this is necessarily a negative evolution...
Then again, I'm not holding my breath...

MR8

fatbus
30th Jun 2016, 04:13
Should be fun to watch if this is the case.

notapilot15
30th Jun 2016, 11:19
CTO is a group position, so me thinks EG CTO makes EK CEO a lame duck. I think it is a strategic move to change group's direction without changing leadership.

My hope CM brings PR spending under control. $2.7 Billion just to keep few fanboys happy. Sport sponsorships are a OK, but recent ad campaigns didn't do any good. Even top subscriptions to rating agencies not resulting in positive feedback. Most of its social media effort is dedicated to putting down negative comments and sanitizing posts.

Employee and customer satisfaction is going down while money is flowing out at a faster rate.

CM's MH experience should help him with dealing state owned enterprises(I know EK is a pure commercial organization), ie., there will be some whom he cannot touch.

With 95,000 total and very few core EK employees, it is very difficult to judge if EG is lean or bloated.

dnata is growing globally and adding rapidly to the employee count.

Hopefully he will increase FC and CC counts.

flaphandlemover
30th Jun 2016, 11:45
Quiet naive to think that things will get better...
EK is a lost ship and we will be shafted more...
The clear statement of not increasing the package is the direction Ek is moving...
We will have to safe more... and guys I bet you they will also start looking into the provident fund, housing allowance, schooling...
He is not to come to make us happy... he is to come to transform the airline in an even bigger cash cow...
Better brace for the things to come...

Good luck to those that are still happy and have no exit plan...

Machrihanish
30th Jun 2016, 12:24
EK is a lost ship ...

Now what would that be supposed to mean?

JAARule
30th Jun 2016, 12:36
The Indian mafia will sort him out with their lying cheating back handing arrangements. They won't like interference.
He'll have his work cut out.

Kapitanleutnant
30th Jun 2016, 14:39
Which begs the question: who will have more pull.... Mueller or AAR? Therein lies your answer whether things will change

K

notapilot15
30th Jun 2016, 19:10
EK is a highly leveraged enterprise
Arm length entities no longer able to prop up EK
Kuwait and Saudi probably stopped no interest, no schedule loans
Dubai never had money
(and)
CM is a crisis manager.

Monarch Man
1st Jul 2016, 13:41
Interesting bit of info from a source close to the finance side of things, allegedly away from the obviously premium heavy routes to the UK and certain parts in the east, the 380 is haemorrhaging money as it is flying around heavy in Y, but very light in J and F, watch this space for changes in the network makeup.
Note the word allegedly as this info is at best second hand, but plays to the narrative regarding CM having a crisis to solve.
BTW this post is about revenue, and not a tractor v bus argument!

jercules
1st Jul 2016, 14:15
Maybe he's just coming to sort out the tablet issues. If they let him do his job, it should be resolved by 8am the day he arrives.

Mr Angry from Purley
1st Jul 2016, 19:13
Big Geordie
Chief Transformation Officer
Would be looking at everything to do with cost and efficiency. He'll probably get a team of guys to help him.
On paper Pilots should be OK as there's not much blood left to get out of the stone .....

glofish
1st Jul 2016, 23:05
Interesting bit of info from a source close to the finance side of things, allegedly away from the obviously premium heavy routes to the UK and certain parts in the east, the 380 is haemorrhaging money as it is flying around heavy in Y, but very light in J and F, watch this space for changes in the network makeup.
Note the word allegedly as this info is at best second hand, but plays to the narrative regarding CM having a crisis to solve.
BTW this post is about revenue, and not a tractor v bus argument!

..... what a groundbreaking discovery (sigh)
No one could possibly have seen this coming ..... :ugh:

troff
3rd Jul 2016, 22:52
International consultancy companies have been banging on the castle doors for years trying to get in to solve the problem(s) here and have been politely shown the door each and every time. Finally, it seems, EK has realized that they can no longer continue on the past business model to insure success in the future. It may be too late. Good luck.

DCS99
4th Jul 2016, 00:38
The Indian mafia will sort him out with their lying cheating back handing arrangements. They won't like interference.
He'll have his work cut out.

It might go to penalties but I predict Germany will still win.
A friend in HQ sent me this. It gets better the longer you watch.

https://vimeo.com/109234717

It's obvious from the video Muller won't trust any numbers he gets from Finance.
Close the door. Enjoy the flight...

nakbin330
4th Jul 2016, 03:34

It's obvious from the video Muller won't trust any numbers he gets from Finance.

Very interesting. Would love to hear his thoughts on why he has decided to leave Malaysian early.

MR8
4th Jul 2016, 03:58
Interesting video

I especially like the part where he says that in basically all cases, change can't be accomplished with the current management. He talks the talk, let's see if he can walk the walk.

MR8

ekpilot
4th Jul 2016, 09:48
Very interesting indeed. In short, the owners/management are often incompetent, they are liars and should involve their employees through a collective labor agreements/unions in order to achieve the best turnaround result. Good luck at EK, Mueller!

InnocentBystander
4th Jul 2016, 10:55
Very interesting indeed. In short, the owners/management are often incompetent, they are liars and should involve their employees through a collective labor agreements/unions in order to achieve the best turnaround result. Good luck at EK, Mueller!

There's going to be years of infighting, back stabbing and finger pointing etc. All around the most incompetent managers that can't be fired, because they "own" the airline. On top of it all I highly doubt STC will allow the reality of his total failure at executive leadership over the last years be his legacy. So more obstruction.

He failed/resigned at Malaysian and I don't think his odds at EK are much better.

Good luck indeed. I'm so happy I'm out of here.

notapilot15
4th Jul 2016, 14:47
EK still generates significant revenue so wisely spent it can be a turned around. Question is how Emiratis/Mueller take control back from Brits and Indians. Traditionally, Emairatis treat sub-continent folks badly, but at EK British/Indians are treating everyone else badly. I still cannot figure out how these relationships formed.

Timing is perfect because most of the British PR/media/fans who would be fighting this from outside are reeling from BREXIT vote.

Mueller never stood a chance at MH because Malaysia hired him just as a face saving measure and not to fix the company.

I wound't call his MH gig a failure.

repulo
4th Jul 2016, 15:31
I met Christoph Mueller a decade ago when he was with Hapag-Lloyd/TUI. His job was to create a pan european low cost airline out of the several independent TUI carrier. Finally he got stalled by TUI management which deemed his investment plan negative. Interestingly, they kind of do the same thing now with one aviation. Anyhow, he was well respected within the company and had a clear plan how to run the shop. Hope he is successful at EK. I think MH has some strong, financial connections that he was not to touch, therefore the resignment on own will.

glofish
4th Jul 2016, 15:35
I wound't call his MH gig a failure

If it is not a failure, then it is a scam.

At his level he most certainly studied the case and patient before joining. Now it does not take a rocket scientist to realise that in "such" countries, especially within govt entities, the face saving and nepotism is virulent, it is almost system immanent, the prevalent religion not being particularly helpful either.

So he must have been either badly prepared or very naive. I am however more inclined to assume that he was neither, but simply going for the mission impossible because of the money, knowing quite well that he will fail, but walk away with a handsome sum.

It worked once, it will work twice. EK is no less a mission impossible with an even bigger reward, as most probably it was the lenders and insurers who are starting to call for a change behind the curtains, as the profits dwindle and the money drain is apparent.

So Mueller is not stupid. He will play the fig leaf for a year or so a second time and can then enjoy a very posh retirement back in civilisation.

EK will inexorably continue to change into a gargantuan Gulf Air 2.

ruserious
5th Jul 2016, 05:34
notapilot15, you really need to change the Coolaid you are drinking at Costa, if you ever had the plot, you have truly lost it now with that last post

Panther 88
5th Jul 2016, 08:20
It will in fact give the appearance that something is being done. The minions will be smiling just knowing that everyone's lot will be improved...and you wait and see, just wait a little longer and it will be nirvana. So mission accomplished. Nothing changes but the aspect of it will keep all in line, prevent further resignations and make everyone happy campers. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain". It is simply impossible to change the corporate culture, built up over centuries. It cannot be allowed to happen.

Jetkopite
5th Jul 2016, 08:42
Nothing will change whoever you bring in I feel, the roster will only get worse on the 777 as the 330/340 evaporates the holes will line up more and more as the experience levels on the flightdeck reduce as we fly to more dangerous destinations. My decision to leave has now been made after a year of waiting to see positive changes, if anything its become even worse.. As pilots here we are just abit of scum at the bottom of their shoe, never have and never will be important.

notapilot15
5th Jul 2016, 10:52
ruserious, All I am saying is, if EK wants to sincerely use CM's capabilities to save the company they have an opportunity here (or) they can repeat MH. I am sure CM negotiated a better contract this time based on his MH adventure.

Right now only efficiency it has is squeezing core employees. It has no other discipline.

glofish, It was a scam on Malaysian side.

EK created a misconception about airline management worldwide. People started believing if you have a great manager like STC, any airline can be well run. People tend to ignore how many ways EK owners pump money into this enterprise.

MH has no money so it cannot be fixed. Doesn't matter who leads the company, unless country has laws similar to chapter 11.

TOGA!
5th Jul 2016, 11:31
My guess is, that any report Mr. CM generates will go to the same place the employee survey of nearly 2 years ago, went to die.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during some of the meetings though.

InnocentBystander
5th Jul 2016, 12:38
My guess is, that any report Mr. CM generates will go to the same place the employee survey of nearly 2 years ago, went to die.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during some of the meetings though.

Hence my comment "On top of it all I highly doubt STC will allow the reality of his total failure at executive leadership over the last years be his legacy."

One of the core problems here is that the company has no longer any moral compass or soul; that has died with Maurice.

Now it's just pure greed, opportunism, everyone for themselves. And that typically withstands any kind of logical analysis as the core incentives are diametrically opposed.

notapilot15
5th Jul 2016, 13:10
I may be wrong but STC is playing more of a ceremonial role now a days.

Think from owners perspective.

They got loans from everywhere.
Every other Dubai company is trying to help EK.
Removed all aviation regulations
Removed all labor laws
Removed all accounting laws
All in hope of creating a world class airline.

But what STC did
Ordered 100 Boeings and 50 Airbuses at every air show.
Employee morale at the lowest and shrinking
No proven revenue management skill
Mainly no network discipline.

What happens when STC retires
Several planes buzzing around without making any money
Lenders start asking to repay loans
Family companies will say no more freebies to EK
Very few lessors ready to lease
Very few lenders ready to lend money
Yet EK has to find routes for 2 new B777s and one A380 every month.

CM should concentrate on three aspects
1) Cut PR spending
2) Delay pending plane deliveries or cancel pending plane orders
3) Rationalize routes (I know hard to believe)

fliion
5th Jul 2016, 13:39
The drivel factor on pprune has reached new heights recently.

Somehow flight ops manning and our own issues with fleet Mgt ETC have now rendered this enormously consistently profitable airline as all smoke and mirrors - a money losing, crisis engulfed airline - that is propped up by other local companies and cannot get loans.

Conspiracy theorists - ten a penny.

All of the doomsday posters are what? Airline pilots with little internal knowledge of what actually goes on yet seem to have advice for CM on Mgt because they have the inside scoop of not only here but MH as well!?

It has gotten so bad recently that one post about the 380 losing money from a friend of a friend - got a response of "I knew it!". Now there's empirical research for you.

Flight ops problems & decreasing yields on full service carriers because of competition? Yes

But seriously some of the BS on here from pilots with ZERO inside knowledge or large Corp Mgt experience.

Baffling

fatbus
5th Jul 2016, 14:22
Have to laugh at the experts( pilots) when it comes to running a business.

notapilot15
5th Jul 2016, 17:27
One more advise

The worst thing CM could do is across the board cut.

When CM starts looking for cost saving areas and slackers realize they will be on the chopping block, they will try to convince CM it is very difficult to pick and choose, so go with across the board cut.

Never a good idea, demoralizes hardworking people while saving non-performing fluff.

JeremyB777
6th Jul 2016, 21:57
Wonder if CM is coming to clean up dnata as well after JC is laeving

Edge On
8th Jul 2016, 02:39
Filion,
An unusually scathing response to the 'rumour network' from you. Anyone who's been at EK more than 8 yrs knows the significant changes to working conditions endured by pilots. They would also know, regardless of their 'knowledge of management ', that EK is in downward spiral. We all know the basic product and advertising is for the most part still amazing. Work conditions are increasingly appalling and only ever getting worst. Mueller, if he were to actually come to EK will have his hands full. He is on record for saying that talking to those on the 'floor' almost always provides true insight into a company's true position. Restructuring also cannot be accomplished with the same management. If he shows up here, he will either fail spectacularly, quit, or hopefully, disrupt a seriously defective cadre of local management. His effectiveness, or lack thereof, will be a true measure of how serious the govt of Dubai is to run a truly world leading airline. Let's see! Let's hope M does show up here. It'll be interesting.

alwayzinit
9th Jul 2016, 10:31
Spot on Edge On.
Regardless of how complicated those who run things make it for themselves, EVERY business has simple rules to success. EK, as we all know seem to have either never heard of them or decided they know better.
I know where my money is going............................:ugh:

fliion
9th Jul 2016, 10:41
Edge

One of the questions he would presumably ask if he were here today would be; Is there a fatigue problem with pilots?

The response from Fleet would be that last week we operated over 1200 flights and there was ONE fatigue report.

Endless posts and chest thumping on fatigue & rosters - but we are not doing ourselves any favors by writing about them here as against there.

donpizmeov
9th Jul 2016, 11:56
Fliion = realist
Edg On = optimist

glofish
9th Jul 2016, 15:31
If he would only ask fleet about a fatigue issue, if he'd believe any statistics based on internal reports only, in this culture, then he wouldn't be worth his reputation and money.

There goes the realist .....

SOPS
9th Jul 2016, 15:46
I was about to say..maybe he could ask ' what is the fear culture in this company that prevents people writing reports?' And then he could have a long sit down with EGT and others and ask some hard questions.

alwayzinit
9th Jul 2016, 17:08
Ta Dah!
A coconut for SOPs.
I would also like to add that those having a go, at others offering their views on how the company is being run, telling Mr M how to do his job is a trifle rich!:ugh:
I believe Fatigue reports are extremely small 'tatoes in the current "crisis".

donpizmeov
10th Jul 2016, 13:24
Things ain't good in the hood. Cabin crew recruiting to stop at end of July through Oct. Oops.

fatbus
10th Jul 2016, 14:24
I know EK is currently short of pilots. What if there was a serious re- structure and there was a surplus . What happens to your resident visa? Also what happens if you own a property and no longer have a visa ? New hires that have bought could be in a tight spot.

BigGeordie
10th Jul 2016, 14:32
There is no requirement to have a residence visa to own property. If you loose your residence status you would have to leave the country but you could rent out your property if you couldn't/wouldn't sell it. I think it would be the least of your problems.

But...i t would have to be one huge restructure to leave us with too many pilots. The loss of face would be too much.

Mango
10th Jul 2016, 15:07
Things ain't good in the hood. Cabin crew recruiting to stop at end of July through Oct. Oops.
Can you please elaborate on this.

PPRuNeUser0215
10th Jul 2016, 19:48
Resident Visa and status available if you own a property in DXB.

TIMINGandLUCK
21st Jul 2016, 08:10
7th rumor: All future upgrade courses have been cancelled or delayed. Oh wait, that one isn't a rumor...

what_goes_up
21st Jul 2016, 08:17
7th rumor: All future upgrade courses have been cancelled or delayed. Oh wait, that one isn't a rumor...
I would be very much surprised as this states just the opposite to what I have heard from official sources recently. If at all delay possibly because lack of trainers...

Kapitanleutnant
21st Jul 2016, 11:30
AAR wants to reduce hours to 80.....

Hahahahahahahahahaha...........
Hahahahahaha.......
Haaaaaaaaa.........

Oh, I needed that for a good laugh!

Haaahahahahahahaha...........

Rather Be Skiing
21st Jul 2016, 13:55
2nd rumour - we are so short of pilots that recently recruitment HR have been cold calling people who either turned down the job / didn't make the grade at the application phase and more surprisingly calling applicants' referees who are pilots asking if they would like a job!!

Even better, they emailed a colleague to propose a career opportunity with EK. The funny bit is, he's already an EK Captain and been here 9 years!! They must be emptying desk drawers looking for any old applications.

Jetkopite
21st Jul 2016, 14:00
Well I saw an email by EK HR sent to my FO (online only for a few months) few weeks ago pleading him to recommend EK to his friends and how EK still wants the best pilots. The best bit was when she stated that the more pilots he recommends the better his rosters will become in the future... ;;;;;;;;;;-))))

innersole
21st Jul 2016, 14:50
He/She must have had balls to show you that.....:E

Aluminium shuffler
21st Jul 2016, 20:07
It's a standard email to all newish entrants, and any roster improvement alluded to is based on increased numbers taking pressure off the existing pilots, not any personal favouritism. Come on, guys, keep it reasonable.;)

Sheikh Your Bootie
22nd Jul 2016, 08:04
5th rumour is 100% true, no rumour. A neighbour VP told me this and have heard from others.

Complete chaos on HR pilot recruitment, a nice HR lady was terminated by AAR recently, now working in another part of the group.

Over capacity is s serious problem, the 380/777 mix is wrong, smaller 350/787 type jets needed. Hence rumours of cancellation of 380 and a big order for 350's doing the rounds.

This whole "Transformation" thing is so badly communicated and handled, typical EK.

SyB :zzz::zzz:

Emma Royds
22nd Jul 2016, 12:25
Complete chaos on HR pilot recruitment

A former colleague of mine who is now in his 60s and who applied to EK some time ago as an SFI, was emailed out of the blue a few weeks ago by HR asking if he would be interested in joining as an F/O.

It made us laugh anyway.....

notapilot15
22nd Jul 2016, 12:43
the 380/... mix is wrong, ... Hence rumours of cancellation of 380...
A380 fanboys would consider that statement as a violation against human rights. Please take it back.

A380 fanboys strongly demand poor countries to build Code F airports and their citizens to work hard and save enough enough money to enjoy the cabin experience of a EK A380.

There are more A380 fanboys in the world than actual pax flew on a A380.

Payscale
22nd Jul 2016, 13:19
Slightly off topic

fatbus
22nd Jul 2016, 13:36
Maybe there might be a few less VP's, VPNC and SVP's . Followed closely by a mass reductions of managers that don't manage. Supervisors that don't supervise . That's just for round one . Should go the distance .

glofish
22nd Jul 2016, 14:22
fatty, this would include a lot of de-emiratisation, which cannot happen, but if others have to go ..... who would do the job?

ExDubai
22nd Jul 2016, 14:53
fatty, this would include a lot of de-emiratisation, which cannot happen, but if others have to go ..... who would do the job?
Sounds like a lot of fun :cool:

Jetkopite
22nd Jul 2016, 15:30
Guys when I said his rosters will improve I meant all the FOs rosters improve if more pilots recommend EK to their friends.. Friends like that who needs enemies.??

notapilot15
22nd Jul 2016, 16:03
Sorry SyB, couldn't resist.

On a serious note, most of these unconventional brilliant ideas are spawned from current management, how either emiratis or CM going to force the direction change.

With regards to SyB comment about A380/B777 being wrong fit, need A350/B787... STC cancelled A350s, placed large B777X order, confirmed additional A380s and claimed B787-10 is not a good fit.

Now if EK want to switch A380s to A350s and B777x to B787-10s, both A & B will say WTF.

wheel lock
5th Aug 2016, 12:29

Thanks for the post, a very interesting video. Time will tell!!!

BLOGGSON
7th Aug 2016, 00:58
Thanks for the post, a very interesting video. Time will tell!!!
Illuminating. If even half of what he says is put into practice, I can't wait to see him get hold of this circus.

plasticmerc
8th Aug 2016, 07:46
Something you are either forgetting or simply unaware of, CM gave most people at MH nearly a 50% reduction in wages, a loss in many benefits and worse set of T&C'S.

Good luck guys.

lederhosen
8th Aug 2016, 08:17
The video is a great self marketing tool and he talks the good talk. He is essentially a fireman so it is hard to draw hard and fast conclusions, even if some of the buildings burned down (Sabena) or might not be in such great shape afterwards (TUI) as he most probably did not start the fires himself.

You can divide the world into people who like building train sets and people who like playing with them for a long time. Mueller has definitely been in the former category and whilst he looks a good candidate to do some necessary shaking up at Emirates, it will be interesting to see how long he stays.

Kapitanleutnant
8th Aug 2016, 10:35
Again....... It'll be him vs AAR.

Guess who's opinion will reign supreme!

Chuss Herr Mueller!

K

BigGeordie
8th Aug 2016, 10:53
Plasticmerc, MH weren't having trouble attracting enough pilots to keep the operation going at the time.

donpizmeov
8th Aug 2016, 11:06
This dude is a bean counter. Repeat after me..."ALL BEAN COUNTERS ARE BAD".

SOPS
8th Aug 2016, 11:21
Are you sure about that, Kap?

motojet
8th Aug 2016, 12:00
This dude is a bean counter. Repeat after me..."ALL BEAN COUNTERS ARE BAD".

Yes very true.

notapilot15
8th Aug 2016, 12:01
We don't know how many routes current mgmt. is operating just to show off.

There is no need of new recruits if routes are rationalized and attrition is curtailed (by improving employee morale).

Trick is to bite the bullet and cancel excessive aircraft orders. Sooner the better. For that to happen, KBE retirement party is a prerequisite.

Downside of cancelling orders, FAA and EASA will stop looking the other way and USOAP audit results may change, downgrades and bans may follow.

Hamster wheel at full speed, not easy to jump out.

halas
11th Aug 2016, 11:47
Another thing to remember is flight ops is a minority department in the group.

Attention from the new fella may be scant.

Don't get your hopes up.

halas

Jonnyknoxville
12th Aug 2016, 10:57
Just for info , I don't work for emirates ,I have never applied for it either , received phone call (to my mobile) from some bird in HR asking if i was interested in an assessment . Apparently got my details scanning linked in , wouldn't say where she got my number .

flaphandlemover
13th Aug 2016, 06:22
Any truth in the rumor that 30 copilots (majority Italiens) have resigned a few days ago?

Ask our TREs about our new joiners. Turboprop copi now on B777. Hopelessly lost on his first sector. Overstressed and absolutely overwhelmed. (this is not about turboprop guys.. It is about training for these fellas). The only thing they got was Zero flight time... No touch and goes on the real airplane like the cadets.

So we are loosing highly experienced people and are filling the gap with 1500h pilots... IF we even manage to find pilots.
Recruitment had 16 candidates for interview... 13 failed the sim (very basic nowadays) and 3 failed during the rest... So out of 16 EK couldn't get a single pilot.
Do they change anything? Yes they do... IT GETS WORSE....

And so many more are aligning to resign....

Mr Mueller might come too late for EK...

SOPS
13th Aug 2016, 06:28
I have said it before. I'm just astounded the amount of experience that is being allowed to walk out the door....and no one seems to stop and think ' is this a good idea'. ( Aside from the cost to replace them.)

New Captain, brand ex turbo prop FO, dark stormy night into India somewhere.....it is a receipe for the holes lining up.

pfvspnf
13th Aug 2016, 07:52
Why can't they train the turbo prop guys like the train the cadets ? More sim more sectors ?

flyinthesky
13th Aug 2016, 08:46
Well I'll hazard a guess it's to do with those small rectangular pieces of paper that normally reside in your wallet!!!!

All about the money!!

ekwhistleblower
13th Aug 2016, 10:43
Why can't they train the turbo prop guys like the train the cadets ? More sim more sectors ?

You need more trainers, who will train them, it's chickens and eggs.

rmcdonal
13th Aug 2016, 11:00
So we are loosing highly experienced people and are filling the gap with 1500h pilots...
Apart from the cadets, no one is being recruited into EK with only 1500hrs.
Requirements are:
• >2000hrs on MTOW >20T
• >3000hrs on MTOW between 10T & 20T

They do get extra sectors, they even advertise that to the TP pilots during recruitment.

Seems most of you guys where born flying a jet. :rolleyes:

uba737
13th Aug 2016, 16:50
Nope, I was actually born flying the Space Shuttle!:cool:

Monarch Man
13th Aug 2016, 16:51
Seems most of you guys where born flying a jet.

Well, I've never flown anything with a prop, only ever been on jets, I miss my JP :E

TurbanPIC
13th Aug 2016, 17:59
Recruitment had 16 candidates for interview... 13 failed the sim (very basic nowadays) and 3 failed during the rest... So out of 16 EK couldn't get a single pilot

You have to give credit to the guys in Recruiting for not dropping their selection standards even if the hours minimum to get to the interview has been decreased.

QCM
14th Aug 2016, 03:17
...and don't forget guys that even on the GE115-B 75% f the thrust come from a biiiig propeller!

notapilot15
14th Aug 2016, 23:47
New Captain, brand ex turbo prop FO, dark stormy night into India somewhere.....it is a receipe for the holes lining up.

Emirates has full control over Indian media and authorities. Have you seen any Indian news outlet talking about EK521. Have you noticed Indian aviation regulator asking any questions. I wouldn't be surprised if final report says contaminated fuel at TRV was the most probable cause and no one in India kept a sample to confirm or deny.

Already one Indian blogger working hard on further improving EK's image using FAs sports capabilities. I am sure Filet mignon and Dom Pérignon are involved.

Video: How Emirates builds its brand through sports - Bangalore Aviation (http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2016/08/marketing-sports-fans-emirates-way.html)

motojet
15th Aug 2016, 06:15
Emirates has full control over Indian media and authorities. Have you seen any Indian news outlet talking about EK521. Have you noticed Indian aviation regulator asking any questions. I wouldn't be surprised if final report says contaminated fuel at TRV was the most probable cause and no one in India kept a sample to confirm or deny.

Already one Indian blogger working hard on further improving EK's image using FAs sports capabilities. I am sure Filet mignon and Dom Pérignon are involved.

Video: How Emirates builds its brand through sports - Bangalore Aviation (http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2016/08/marketing-sports-fans-emirates-way.html)
Ummm, don't think so...

Why Did Emirates Plane Crash-Land In Dubai? Here's The Pilots' Version (http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/exclusive-emirates-pilots-list-the-seconds-before-dubai-crash-landing-1443021?site=full)

Emirates crash: Did the pilot make a wrong move? - Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Emirates-crash-Did-the-pilot-make-a-wrong-move/articleshow/53646388.cms)

Just to list a couple of stories. Emirates hardly has "control" over the Indian media. Fairly regularly there are articles about how EK has too much market share in India.

notapilot15
15th Aug 2016, 10:51
Ummm, don't think so...

Just to list a couple of stories. Emirates hardly has "control" over the Indian media. Fairly regularly there are articles about how EK has too much market share in India.

They were just repeating wind shear theory planted by PR.

Experts point to wind shear in Emirates incident (http://7days.ae/experts-point-wind-shear-emirates-incident/90808)

AutumnShadow
17th Aug 2016, 10:52
So, has he/will he join EK?

flaphandlemover
17th Aug 2016, 16:34
1. Sep....

Kapitanleutnant
17th Aug 2016, 16:56
AAR = Wasta

Mueller = No Wasta

Any questions???

Mueller will run up against the same brick wall that Talking Horse, TCAS, JA and the current TCAS (??) have tried to deal with only to realise it's lost cause and simply settle for padding their own retirement.

exekcabincrew
17th Aug 2016, 17:03
But what is the point of him joining? Him alone is supposed to turn the company and the surrounding ocean of problems around?

I don't want to come across as an unconditional critic of EK, but I think the company is so constrained by all those costa-friendships, favors, country-specific mafias, royals and many other important people sucking EK dry that there is no way of turning it around. I mean why would things change? Who wants the change? Those who take decisions? No they don't. They are just fine in Costa or (at a higher level) in some fancy jet counting the millions they got in bonuses or dividends. Do you think those people give a crap about the line employees? Line employees want change, but without syndicates there is nothing they can do.

I think that this is all another BS injection from the management, the guy will stay around for 2-3 years and then will resign with no changes.

All the negative changes were done deliberately by the management and obviously favor the ones in power, otherwise all the idiotic decisions we have seen in the past couple of years would have never been taken in first place.

glofish
17th Aug 2016, 18:06
But what is the point of him joining?

Kap and exek

Up to recently i would have signed both contributions, but the odds have changed. Passengers are staying away, employees are leaving and planes are arriving. A lethal mix.

CautionShortRunway
17th Aug 2016, 20:57
Am I missing something here. In every company he has ever joined to make a change every employee in these companies has ended up paying for this change. Results are ranging from terminations to pay cuts. Does someone really think good things will come to anyone if he really joins Emirates?

Emma Royds
17th Aug 2016, 23:14
The fact that we codeshare with MH on so many flights, is testament to what must be a very cordial relationship between CM and the upper echelons of EK management. MH stopped flying to DXB earlier this year, so any codeshare agreement between EK and MH only leaves EK to be the biggest beneficiary by far.

I can see CM joining EK but not having success in his crisis troubleshooter role for which he is renowned for. For a troubleshooter to succeed means there are troubles to resolve and the breathtaking arrogance along with the horror of admiting that there troubles that actually need solved, mean the status quo will remain, unless there is a change of top management.

fatbus
18th Aug 2016, 02:40
Just maybe, top floor knows of the big problems and needs an outsider to do the dirty work

Kapitanleutnant
18th Aug 2016, 03:57
Fatbus.... that's a good thought. EK mgrs won't have to be the "bearer of bad news".

Not their (EK Mgmt) fault, its just what the hired outsider tells us we must do to keep the brand going!.

troff
18th Aug 2016, 05:54
AAR = Wasta

Mueller = No Wasta

Any questions???

Mueller will run up against the same brick wall that Talking Horse, TCAS, JA and the current TCAS (??) have tried to deal with only to realise it's lost cause and simply settle for padding their own retirement.
No point in having wasta if there is no company to swing it around in. AAR is single handedly ruining this company, and the implications of his short-sightedness reach deep into the industry. A cliche, yes, but having AAR in charge of EK in his present capacity is like having Col. Sanders in charge of the chickens.
AAR = Mass destruction without possibility of recovering from lawn-dart trajectory.
CM = Possability of something better.

glofish
18th Aug 2016, 06:12
Am I missing something here. In every company he has ever joined to make a change every employee in these companies has ended up paying for this change. Results are ranging from terminations to pay cuts. Does someone really think good things will come to anyone if he really joins Emirates?

One of the more stringent problems at EK is the hemorrhaging of employees, especially pilots. Although there is replacement knocking wildly at the door, their qualification needs training in excess of capacity and cost they want to bear.
Now a pay cut in this domain does not really sound blessed with hope of success, doesn't it?

jack schidt
18th Aug 2016, 06:39
CM, some summary points from the valid contributions above and a little added thought as to him coming to EK.

EK are losing revenue and passengers.

EK are losing previously long timer loyal staff as well as the normal attrition. This distorts experience levels, especially in the flight deck.

EK has too many "individual" cultural teams working in certain areas of the company, protecting their own worth at a cost to the company.

EK staff and management numbers show a typical corporate triangle ( see the Shard Building UK). There are too many high paid at the top and not enough of a strong base to support the top when the winds start to blow.

EK has benefitted from other global airlines suffering staff displacement and now this is not the case.

EK is not transparent and does not allow comment or criticism from within.

EK is either looking for a fall guy to take the blame or as an outside chance, someone to "try" to turn things around.

EK has bet on a continued model of global growth. The oil prices were hedged and the revenue in premium seats is not there from the oil employees anymore. The world is a new world post GFC 2008 and I believe people know things around the corner will be no better. EK's growth model is pre 2008 and has only survived due to global QE supporting world economy's.

EK has a large cost against income and only the pure case of paying below industry average, while charging premium rates for fares, has allowed the huge profits to be realised. Other airlines are fighting back in a bit of a seat price war, including those in the ME.

CM will either become the man who will be blamed for the further demise of the airline, OR his recommendations will be used by those high in the ivory tower to credit those who hold the strings.

In Dubai, with the continuation of rising costs of living, taxation, air pollution, salary demise, the heat humidity and sand in the air, the lack of representation and restrictions of VPN use and the threats of jail for reporting truthful facts, I could go on. No wonder the Airline of more than a decade ago is certainly not an employees first choice anymore.

CM might make cuts, he might lower salaries and that leaves the employee their right (only right it appears), leave, it's your choice! I am pretty certain that the current attrition of pilots would only increase if their already current conditions are screwed with. All air crew have been absolutely the prime target for the company's savings and I for one will likely exercise my fair right "should" conditions get any worse.

Rgds

J

Kapitanleutnant
18th Aug 2016, 07:03
Troff...

Exactly my point... and been my point for a few years at least!!

But with his wasta, he's effectively untouchable!!! That's my point! And I wholeheartedly agree with you that he is single handedly destroying what EK once was....

There IS a reason so many pilots are leaving. AAR just doesn't realise that reason is HIM!

Kap

kingpost
18th Aug 2016, 07:10
Well written Jack, all facts presented, I couldn't agree with you more!

troff
18th Aug 2016, 09:14
Only higher-ups need the foresight to save themselves and the rest of the company by unseating this particular individual, otherwise there will be NO COMPANY (or at best we will be the embarrassing shadow of the giant we once were, like MEA, Gulf Air, etc.) so what's the point?

Choose one:

Remove the big problem- many smaller problems will be solved as a consequence- stay in business. At least keep your head above water for the time being.

Or

Implode in a most embarrassing public fiasco and slowly sink.

Kapitanleutnant
18th Aug 2016, 11:30
The problem is the Wasta he has.... as I said, he's untouchable. Won't happen until HE wants it to.... and he genuinely thinks he's single-handedly saving the airline by all his antics.

K

lockedout
18th Aug 2016, 14:05
I understand the reservations expressed, but I think there is reason for some hope now. (Assuming of course that Herr Mueller is indeed joining EK. I have heard that he will start on 1 Oct.) It is clear that he is not the type to tread water and will already be in no doubt about the size of the task ahead of him.

It is great to listen to him talking (in the video clip of his interview) about people. The cynics amongst us may question how much of that comes from his heart or from his head, but I do not think that really matters. Just the understanding that listening to your people is fundamental to a successful organisation would bring a huge change to EK. The views he expresses about people are diametrically opposed to the approach taken by STC and GC.

CM talks about the need for a burning platform, but the EK situation is unusual. The overwhelming majority of staff are fully aware of the fire - they are in it. The problem is with the few who have been overtly fuelling it and have protected themselves with asbestos shields. Breaking those shields open will take the stature and resilience of someone like Herr Mueller. I have two reasons for hope for everyone at EK . . .

First, although CM will need a lot of cash to beef up the core operation, it will not be difficult to find. As long as a surgeon (not a butcher) is employed, most office based support functions in the EK Group are ripe for enormous efficiency gains without the need to reduce service levels. The (cost saving) industry standard is to initially take out 20% of costs in support areas. In my experience the impact of this (seemingly savage) cut, as long as it is done without fear or favour, initiates the necessary revolution. If the correct 20% of cost is removed, the picture becomes clear to everyone – waste creates waste. For example, identify an unnecessary layer of management and remove it, and everyone soon realises how little value it added to the business and how much work it itself created. So a 20% reduction becomes just the start. Key to success for the ‘surgeon’ in EK will be for all Group Service functions to be placed into one dedicated organisation and no longer be cluttered up with genuine business functions that can continue to bring useful revenue into the Group. The ‘surgeon’ should be someone who genuinely believes in people, efficiency and providing value to customers and, perhaps most importantly, should not be incentivised for meeting financial targets. This last requirement would also help with the appointment process – a ‘butcher’ would not take the job on without a cash prize (and escape route) waiting for him/her at the end of the maelstrom.

Secondly, I agree with the points raised about managers ‘keeping their heads down until retirement’ and I am certain many managers will have squirmed whilst hearing Herr Mueller constantly referring to ‘the truth’ and talking about a 4 a.m. visit ‘to the baggage room’. But there are also good managers in EK. Many have stayed well below the parapet over the years - some by force, some by personal choice – but hopefully these managers will recognise that this will be the right (and last?) opportunity to stand up and be counted. Certainly Herr Mueller will want to count them in. Up until now, anyone who tried to change things at EK ended up . . .

locked out.

troff
18th Aug 2016, 20:07
Much like "The Donald" thinks he's saving 'Merica. Both are delusional.

Talparc
18th Aug 2016, 22:11
AAR is playing the music while his ship is sinking!
Sheikh Mo called Mueller to fix the problem but doesn't realise that his buddy AAR is the problem, so looks like a fix from outside is expected.
Hope everybody can evacuate as quickly as 521 before it's too late.

SOPS
18th Aug 2016, 23:14
Is STC asleep during all of this, or does he simply not care anymore?

Aluminium shuffler
19th Aug 2016, 10:01
If an unmovable mid level player is in the way, they can easily be promoted out. Increased pay and a bigger title to a sideline task is an easy fix, and while it may cost a small amount in extra pay and perks, it's cheaper than the damage of having someone in an unsuitable position or any legal action from a badly received demotion or sacking. It happens all the time in the political and state sectors (health, education, civil service, military, etc) in the West.

my salami
19th Aug 2016, 12:02
If an unmovable mid level player is in the way, they can easily be promoted out. Increased pay and a bigger title to a sideline task is an easy fix, and while it may cost a small amount in extra pay and perks, it's cheaper than the damage of having someone in an unsuitable position or any legal action from a badly received demotion or sacking. It happens all the time in the political and state sectors (health, education, civil service, military, etc) in the West.

"Promoveatur ut Amoveatur"
The Romans invented the procedure 2000 years ago..

DCS99
19th Aug 2016, 14:15
"Promoveatur ut Amoveatur"
The Romans invented the procedure 2000 years ago..

Good to know there is someone else at EK who shares Latin O-Level success with myself from the early 1980s!

Kapitanleutnant
20th Aug 2016, 12:53
Wasta wins EVERY time fellas!

K

fatbus
20th Aug 2016, 15:41
I would say lets just wait in see .

flaphandlemover
1st Sep 2016, 10:46
He is here and was seen yesterday in the Training college on a tour led by MM....

Let the show begin

ChocksOn
1st Sep 2016, 13:53
I think the whole Aussie Staff base should be worried!
The return for the dollar is just not there with the high cost base!
No reason to have any EK staff if DNATA runs the handling at the stations.
I would be worried if I was in this category.

newscaster
1st Sep 2016, 14:01
Glofish, in actual Islam you arent allowed to let corruption flourish nor give preference to people you know for promotions or jobs, merit and honesty rules and you have to listen to the boss if he is an honest person be he non-Muslim.

halas
1st Sep 2016, 16:14
Why would l be worried (As an Oztranought)?

halas

pumpkin
1st Sep 2016, 16:38
We all know the people that are the root of all the misery and mismanagement- AAR being fairly high on that ladder- the big question is , does Mueller have the go- ahead to remove these people.... I am afraid that Wasta will truly destroy this airline.

fatbus
2nd Sep 2016, 04:06
Everyone but AAR

Cloud Bunny
2nd Sep 2016, 07:01
Tragically AAR can never be 'removed' from the Company however hopefully CM will be given enough freedom to 'promote' him out of our way.
Then and only then we may start to see an improvement in things over time - too late for me though. Started the stopwatch and making plans.

Kapitanleutnant
2nd Sep 2016, 07:07
Again:::

Wasta vs Mueller = Wasta victory!

Sad but true.

alwayzinit
3rd Sep 2016, 12:09
EK is / was the Golden Goose, there is much concern that the "eggs" are getting smaller and the Goose is slowly bleeding to death. I am not sure how far the bonds of loyalty stretch, mutual destruction is a high price to pay for someone who isn't family.

777-200LR
3rd Sep 2016, 12:15
Again:::

Wasta vs Mueller = Wasta victory!

Sad but true.

I'm starting to think that doesn't matter anymore. When the future success of Dubai and its direct relationship with EK are against the ropes, wait and see that no one is immune

fatbus
3rd Sep 2016, 16:49
Does anyone feel it's like the titanic ? worlds best , newest , never sink!

fliion
3rd Sep 2016, 18:23
No crew told Capt Edward John Smith for three years..."er, ehm..Skip, do you see that piece of ice?"

Avid Aviator
3rd Sep 2016, 19:02
There is none so deaf as he who will not listen....

BLOGGSON
5th Sep 2016, 12:51
It's official; the Dude is coming according to Uncle Tim.

JAYTO
5th Sep 2016, 13:18
Well now we see where he fits in the ladder and who he is reporting to. May lead to some speculation about who hired him and who may be immune.

J

BigGeordie
5th Sep 2016, 13:30
If the people/person we all know to be causing the problem is immune then really this is just rearranging deckchairs on a rapidly sinking ship.

RoyalEnfield
5th Sep 2016, 13:58
"Chief Digital & Innovation Officer"?????

"Christoph will join us from 20 September and report to both of us".

Well I guess he's not really going to be able to change much if he has to report to STC.

Kapitanleutnant
5th Sep 2016, 16:00
Wasta..... wins every time

By the way, Noticed a new law in the UAE: Bankruptcies now allowed!! Quite telling don't you think....?

K

halas
5th Sep 2016, 18:32
Not sure how you can connect the two Kap.

EK = Government = above the law.

halas

Kapitanleutnant
5th Sep 2016, 20:46
Well... that's kinda the point perhaps you missed, halas

K

fliion
5th Sep 2016, 21:32
Particularly prescient quote from STC:

"...We need to constantly improve how we interact with customers, partners, and suppliers..."

Okay Tim....and the employees?

Rather Be Skiing
6th Sep 2016, 03:20
Particularly prescient quote from STC:

"...We need to constantly improve how we interact with customers, partners, and suppliers..."

Okay Tim....and the employees?

Exactly. It was the first thing my wife mentioned. Same old, same old.

jack schidt
6th Sep 2016, 07:05
The MOST valuable asset of any company are the employees. Happy employees will make use of the tools given to them by the company to make happy customers. Unhappy employees, no matter how much bling and shine is put on hardware, will not make happy customers.

Anyone ever heard of "Root cause, analysis", it appears not?

Good day,

J

glofish
6th Sep 2016, 07:49
With this ludicrous title for CM:

veni, vidi, abdixi :ugh::ugh:

sluggums
6th Sep 2016, 09:50
SSDD... What a joke. Do they really think we don't see the smoke and mirrors?

The Outlaw
6th Sep 2016, 12:12
Just another game of laying blame...CM should only answer to HH and no one else as the problems are just below that level.

Another BS attempt at appointing blame.

Maybe they'll sack a few pilots...that'll fix it.

As pointed out above...unhappy employees=failing company.

Quite surprising he would have signed on at that level...he may not get the latitude he needs to effect positive change. I suppose time will tell!

But does anyone really care anymore?

SOPS
6th Sep 2016, 12:43
Wasn't he meant to be Chief Transformation Officer? I think he has been hobbled before he starts.

DuneMentat
6th Sep 2016, 12:46
innovation or transformation probably means the same in this case since he has head of innovation and transformation reporting to him

motley flight crue
6th Sep 2016, 13:28
I believe he will only report to the sheikh. You cannot put someone ahead of STC. How would that look to all the staff. This way he can make changes and Tim can casually retire when the changes are enforced by HH. Just my thought process. Saves a lot of embarrassment to a lot of high ranking people.

fatbus
6th Sep 2016, 14:54
At least he is above AAR. Time will tell.

donpizmeov
6th Sep 2016, 16:02
Just another office dweller fellas.

flareflyer
6th Sep 2016, 16:22
Sorry guys......but really who cares......
He will or will not notging will change for us.
Just stay till either bucket is full then leave......
It is not our company and it is not our country.......

notapilot15
6th Sep 2016, 17:42
I doubt CM would take a IT project manager position with a glorified title. Something must be cooking behind the scenes. Not being a people person STC wouldn't notice few missing meeting invitations, until it is too late.

TangoUniform
6th Sep 2016, 17:59
To STC, it seems employees are a necessary evil. When asked at the anniversary last year what he attibuted the success of EK, with out missing a beat he said " the management team I put together". So there you have it boys and girls, HIS management team makes this airline run. We can denigrate the 3rd floor and AAR all we want, BUT...........

EK-or-bust
6th Sep 2016, 20:37
Tango U - sadly too true

kipper the dog
16th Sep 2016, 19:43
So does anyone know if Costa at the bouncy castle is a ghost town now that CM is on the scene, or is it still latte's as usual? Had heard that everyone had scurried off to their desks instead of injecting caffeine all day

sluggums
17th Sep 2016, 17:38
Costa are laying people off at the bouncy castle, I've heard. Profit warning to be issued this week...

Nikita81
18th Sep 2016, 09:56
Wasta wins EVERY time fellas!

K I actually sent an e-mail to AAR during my last days as an EK employee. I was complaining on AS DVP Anoma M. He never answered, of course, but I had a goal - I wanted someone on higher instances to read that e-mail and just be aware of her influence on employees. My goals are always long term and I wanted to plant a seed.

It was a fun game for me, actually, because no one at the top knew how to handle me and it was so obvious. I had my disciplinary meeting where I explained everything about labour law, long working hours, how all the lousy conditions will affect EK at the end of it all (I wrote that to AAR and compared EK to Roman Empire:)) and they looked at me the way I expected they will - like I was crazy.

Two years after and she "left" the company. I've got a comment on my blog from someone inside suggesting that she didn't exactly leave, but was "forced to leave". Everyone in AS were glad to see her back.
So, she had wasta, the word on the street was that AAR was her good friend and protector. But she left anyway and she left quietly. Wasta didn't win.

EK managers don't know how to play long term games. This is why the whole company is falling apart.

Although I was only a check in agent, I have a master's degree and was not interested to work as a check in agent for years. But EK managers don't have any develoment strategies for talented employees, they have only wastas and passport logic. And they play only short term games of exploiting people. But that game ends quickly. And it ends badly, because there are limits of how much you can pressure people to be your slaves. And there are limits of how much you can disrespect and even torture people with working conditions, which is specifically dangerous in airline businesses.

To make the long story short: nothing will change without radical moves. EK became a tool of TC's will for power. That was the begining of the end. A company should never be an instrument of one man or woman to achieve their personal sense of being powerfull.

Stop the company's irrational and greedy growth (which is only the manifestation of TC's ego), be satisfied with certain status quo, position and profit, fire extra managers (especially wasta managers), improve internal communication and organizational culture (not much is needed here, actually - just a little motivation in the form of respect) and give the AAR a sensitivity training - he needs it badly. Oh, and yes - close Costa in HQ.

After that - think for a while. Does brutal capitalism have a future? Do you want to have a future? Do you think that your wasta and punishment culture pays off at the end of it all? Do you think that your managers are afraid to do their job because of all the restrictions and threats? Why you don't allow and why you punish criticism? Can you benefit from a criticism? Do you need smart and skillful employees or you will continue to employ managers based on their wasta and passports? Do you actually understand that you don't have a company without good people to work with you despite of what brutal capitalism's propaganda and new world order's logic of exploiting people are telling you?

fliion
18th Sep 2016, 10:21
By the time I got to "I have a Masters degree" in your post - you had used "I" or "me" about 20 times.

You have some good stuff but the "self praise is no praise syndrome" holds you back.

Did they not teach you that in grad school?

Nikita81
18th Sep 2016, 10:35
@fliion

True, true, you are right. Just used to give myself and my experience as an example, assuming that there are a lot of people like me.You, on the other hand, have the right to criticize me. Also, a language barrier makes me use the word "I" more than it's needed.

motojet
18th Sep 2016, 11:02
Nikita, for someone that talks about the future you seem to be stuck in the past. How long since you were fired? Perhaps you should "chalk this up to experience" and move on.

Capt. Flamingo
18th Sep 2016, 11:17
Brace for the following 5 pages of this thread being about Nikita vs everyone...

Any other good rumours on the chopper's stay so far?

Nikita81
18th Sep 2016, 11:29
Brace for the following 5 pages of this thread being about Nikita vs everyone...

Hahahah No, no, I've learned my lesson here. :)

brewman187
18th Sep 2016, 17:42
Let the poor girl vent, remember we all work or have worked in this place and every damn one of you knows how awful it can be. If this is her form of venting, let it be.

Emma Royds
18th Sep 2016, 18:27
Wasta will stop winning when the perceived loss of face for any deficiencies or shortcomings will become too uncomfortable to bear. I am sure Shiekh Mo does not and will not suffer fools and especially so, if the continued success of what is arguably Dubai's most iconic company is at stake.

After watching the Cambridge Business School interview with CM, I personally thought it was rather telling when he remarked that it is difficult to 'create a winning team from existing management'. There were noticeable management reshuffles at Malaysian and also Aer Lingus, which leads to a potentially rather interesting twist to developments. HD departed Aer Lingus in 2010 which was was during the early part of CM's tenure at Aer Lingus. Coincidence perhaps but I am led to believe otherwise.

If CM has been given a mandate to fulfil a role which is similar to those held previously, then I hope he is given the ability to introduce change where it is needed. It is rather worrying if the speculation is true that the company is performing relatively poorly in financial terms, when oil is struggling to punch above $50. We may be filling the economy cabin on many routes but that comes at a cost and that is diminishing yields. Maybe a period of consolidation and restructuring is needed. There is a finite number of people wishing to travel on our flights and peak holiday season aside, I think we may be close to this number on some routes, thanks to over capacity on our part and fierce competition from others.

As one of our ex Malaysian colleagues said to me in reference to CM 'Expect the unexpected.'

Nikita81
18th Sep 2016, 20:21
It's system of punishments turning against itself. Endless circle of evil. A snake eating its own tail. Interesting times ahead. That's my only interest in EK. Whoever resolves EK's issues should be given the Nobel peace prize.. EK is unique case in history of mankind due to its unique multiculturalism and size. The world under the microscope. I actually want EK to survive, it means some hope for mankind.

Regarding my venting ... it's also unique and trumatic experience to find yourself in the middle of the black hole of humanity's madness. But it is also enlightening. Whole system turning against one harmless person instead turning to empathy is the essence of humanity's madness. I am not hiding that my blog was my therapy.

alwayzinit
19th Sep 2016, 10:00
ER 100% agree, refer you to post 140

notapilot15
19th Sep 2016, 10:23
Where is STC anyway? EK started to nickle and dime and passengers are wondering what is happening.

DCS99
19th Sep 2016, 16:43
Where is STC anyway? EK started to nickle and dime and passengers are wondering what is happening.

A Google for "STC speaking" reveals LHR under 2 weeks ago:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/emirates-boss-gds-systems-are-not-fit-for-purpose-6661

Panther 88
19th Sep 2016, 19:08
A Google for "STC speaking" reveals LHR under 2 weeks ago:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/emirates-boss-gds-systems-are-not-fit-for-purpose-6661
Well, he maybe keeping a low profile. Remember, it is he who stated that the reason for the success of Emirates is due to the management team he put together. Now, will he own up to the fact that there are "troubled waters" due to the management team he put together? "Operational Incident", yield management issues, load factors declining, fleet planning in a bit of a quandary, pilot retention, or just employee retention, etc., etc.,

Buford
27th Sep 2016, 09:13
Any truth to any of the information in the text that's floating around r.e. CM and his supposed meeting with senior local crew members?

Rather Be Skiing
27th Sep 2016, 09:24
Any truth to any of the information in the text that's floating around r.e. CM and his supposed meeting with senior local crew members?

No truth at all.

It seems some skipper put this hoax text out there. A warped sense of humour.

Buford
27th Sep 2016, 10:38
Too much time on his hands...shouldn't he have been catching up on sleep like the rest of us?

TooLow
27th Sep 2016, 13:55
An FO showed me this "message" and to me it read like a fairy story, so obviously made-up. Yet so many people believe it.

Do they really think this Mueller guy came here to make our lives better, like some German Santa Claus? Don't they realize where and for whom we work for?

Get a grip people!

notapilot15
27th Sep 2016, 15:33
Now, will he own up to the fact that there are "troubled waters" due to the management team he put together?

I doubt it. Plan all along was to blame sub-continent folks if things go south. Most accept that because they are part of the problem. All he need to worry about are exit visa and escrow account.

BigGeordie
27th Sep 2016, 17:14
I'm pretty sure that, for now, Big M is trying to solve bigger problems than we have in Flt Ops. After all, the aircraft are still (mostly) flying and it must be one of the most productive departments in the company given how many hours we are all doing. No doubt he will get to us in due course- then it might be a case of be careful what you wish for.

natops
28th Sep 2016, 00:33
I know for a fact that AAR is setting up another 'meeting'with flightdeck crew OCT18.

I wonder who is going...

Will CM attend?

electricdeathjet
28th Sep 2016, 02:02
I bet the 340 skippers are not invited.....

donpizmeov
26th Oct 2016, 07:03
SS the medical premiums went up....should make up for costa profits going down, so another cost neutral pay cut.
Limited days off around leave decision reversed for cabin crew, but still in place for flight deck. So we can feel special.
The planned part times rosters have officially been canned, before ever seeing the light of day.
From a reasonable HR source, an average of 22 pilots leaving per month. Which is just shy of 45% of the new joiner number. But that is considered cost effective.

MacSheikh
26th Oct 2016, 11:26
The planned part times rosters have officially been canned, before ever seeing the light of day

Don,

Where did you get that from, it goes against what MM said last week.
Mac

donpizmeov
26th Oct 2016, 12:09
Same HR source. Reasonably reliable.

Dropp the Pilot
26th Oct 2016, 15:41
Eh? "Part-time"?

I must have drowsed through that - do you mean they are (had been?) considering rotational-type rosters?

donpizmeov
26th Oct 2016, 15:59
Yep it seems it was all looking good until it wasn't.

Life Vest
26th Oct 2016, 16:20
Haven't you noticed that when the Asian Airlines (and ME & UK & Europe now for that matter) are about to start interviews the Part-time roster rumour almost always starts circulating.

I wonder by whom?

I'm sure it has successfully encouraged more than just a few candidates to postpone their departure plans (in the hope it is true).

The Ek HR machine at work again. :ugh:

donpizmeov
6th Nov 2016, 17:46
Recommendations by Mr Meuller to be made end of Nov. Implementation of those they accept starting by beginning of next financial year.

Cloud Bunny
7th Nov 2016, 02:46
Will those recommendations be made available to the staff?

fatbus
7th Nov 2016, 03:17
Why would they ?

aussiefarmer
7th Nov 2016, 03:39
A lot of people have to leave. And not precisely at the bottom of the food chain, since there ain't many left. They have miserably failed. Wait 'til November 10th announcement.

natops
7th Nov 2016, 06:16
Cant wait....:E

They never fail to FU, mark my words.

N.:ok:

bigdaviet
7th Nov 2016, 08:46
What is November 10th announcement?

Murrenfan
7th Nov 2016, 08:53
Say bye bye to your F class. Halas

Kapitanleutnant
7th Nov 2016, 09:44
Ya, what is Nov 10 announcement?

The Guru
7th Nov 2016, 10:08
First Half results announcement.....

fliion
7th Nov 2016, 10:30
Say bye bye to your F class. Halas

That would be at his 'discretion' I guess

fatbus
7th Nov 2016, 10:46
There is still money to be made in F

notapilot15
7th Nov 2016, 18:08
There is no money in F. Its all free upgrades from J and Dubai officials.

lospilotos
7th Nov 2016, 23:19
There is no money in F. Its all free upgrades from J and Dubai officials.

Very rare to have a free upgrade to F. Just check the PIL. If truly free it would say something like "INVOL DUE OVERSALES", otherwise an upgrade is paid for by cash or points. A points upgrade is not free either. Points is a liability to the company so the company is getting paid in terms of reduced liability.

fliion
8th Nov 2016, 11:51
I believe fatty is referring to Staff Travel revenue.

KippaLippa
17th Nov 2016, 16:06
November 10th arrived.
I haven't seen much though.
Anyone met Mr CM in another toilet?
Regards

Calmcavok
17th Nov 2016, 19:23
There is no money in F. Its all free upgrades from J and Dubai officials

Unlikely. With more than 3300 departures from DXB alone each week, that's a hell of a lot of upgrades and 'officials'. The majority will likely be a combination of paid for and miles upgrade. (also paid for, as mentioned).

flaphandlemover
18th Nov 2016, 00:49
Management meeting with anouncement of the new strategy is on the 24.

KippaLippa
18th Nov 2016, 06:58
thanks flapmover, may I ask where you got this information? real curiosity, not being suspicious or anywhere near that.

is it every year on November 24th?

Cheers

flaphandlemover
18th Nov 2016, 17:34
my neighbor is in management and he told me...

It's a Mueller briefing about the future of EK and a new strategy... Things don't look good at all for EK...

Machrihanish
18th Nov 2016, 22:14
... decline in just 7 months?
Can we be sure?

Isn't there someone who is ex LH on the very top floor?
Thierry Antinori.

glofish
19th Nov 2016, 04:01
Management meeting with announcement of the new strategy is on the 24

New EK strategy:

We want more passengers who pay more for their seats and less employees who want less for more work.

Therefore:

- More Dugongs, they bring more passengers
- More premium passengers, they bring more $
- Less pay for employees and make them work harder
- Motivation on all levels through more Emiratisation

.... wait, wasn't that the recipe that brought us to where we are now?

Buford
19th Nov 2016, 04:31
Heard the same from another management person about announcement on 24th. All departments asked to cut costs and find more revenue streams. EK loving the new revenue coming in from paying to choose seats and are now looking at charging for bags and introducing 'basic economy'. Don't think anything going to 'improve'.

pumpkin
19th Nov 2016, 05:17
Heard the same from another management person about announcement on 24th. All departments asked to cut costs and find more revenue streams. EK loving the new revenue coming in from paying to choose seats and are now looking at charging for bags and introducing 'basic economy'. Don't think anything going to 'improve'.
When if ever will they realize they are no longer a monopoly. Qatar has better service , WAY better food, cheaper tickets. Every non-aviation friend I have flies with Qatar now. Charging for bags will just push more and more passengers away from Ek. Stupidity. Yup we are a LCC .

Plane and simple
19th Nov 2016, 05:55
When if ever will they realize they are no longer a monopoly. Qatar has better service , WAY better food, cheaper tickets. Every non-aviation friend I have flies with Qatar now. Charging for bags will just push more and more passengers away from Ek. Stupidity. Yup we are a LCC .

The Goat will be rubbing its hooves

alwayzinit
19th Nov 2016, 07:05
I know that the 9th floor like to make out things are very complicated, however, the basics of this industry are pretty simple.
Do not overextend or increase fleet size without hard evidence that the aircraft will make money, unless you can afford to buy them without leasing them back.
Do not throw away money on sponsorship deals when you cannot afford it.
An airline that has to park aircraft is no longer and airline but an aircraft storage company.
Consolidation is not a bad thing, excessive growth is.
Moral of your staff is what keeps everything running, destroy that and you will fail.
Admit when you have screwed up, a problem can only be fixed if it has been acknowledged.
Finally, nobody is so important to be above removal.

Sadly, the head in the sand strategy appears set in concrete here so expect a headlong rush to the lowest common denominator.

Goodbye Tomorrow.:ugh:

Bring Back The Biff
20th Nov 2016, 03:13
:ok: Spot on!

Nikita81
20th Nov 2016, 19:22
the basics of this industry are pretty simple

You forgot the first and the most important one:

- don't hire corrupted and incapable assholes whose only goal is to take your money and run back to their country

Stjuk
21st Nov 2016, 07:57
https://aircargoeye.com/why-airlines-can-no-longer-afford-to-insult-their-pilots/

Interesting article. I hope Mr.Mueller is following the developments in his home country.

ruserious
21st Nov 2016, 09:12
Yeah, but never underestimate the power of arrogance and denial

donpizmeov
22nd Nov 2016, 14:46
The cull has begun. Temporary contract workers being given 1 weeks notice. Projects cancelled. On board services to be "modified". More to be announced to the masses on Sunday.

ExDubai
22nd Nov 2016, 17:25
The cull has begun. Temporary contract workers being given 1 weeks notice. Projects cancelled. On board services to be "modified". More to be announced to the masses on Sunday.
Any idea what that means?

Plane and simple
22nd Nov 2016, 18:09
Any idea what that means?

I imagine First Class still get a hot meal, but it's bring your own Boots Meal Deal for Economy and there's a vending machine installed in the A380 bar for J Class customers.

Nikita81
22nd Nov 2016, 18:18
Useless managers fired?

notapilot15
23rd Nov 2016, 15:08
Changes to passenger amenities already started.

1) Airport charges on O&D passengers
2) Seat selection charges for economy
3) Local artisan chocolates replaced Godiva.
4) No more free birthday cake

Timothy hinted at more auxiliary charges to compete with low-cost long haul carriers. It appears, they are go to blame this on Norwegian and Air Asia and all other tiny airlines operating non-stops from their own countries.

Nikita81
23rd Nov 2016, 15:21
Treating the consequences rather than the causes. So unintelligent.

nolimitholdem
23rd Nov 2016, 23:38
Timothy hinted at more auxiliary charges to compete with low-cost long haul carriers. It appears, they are go to blame this on Norwegian and Air Asia and all other tiny airlines operating non-stops from their own countries.

HAHAHAH oh if that's true that's brilliant! Globalization turning around and biting its supposed champions right in the a$$. Tim Clark railing against the "protectionist" Euros and Yanks - is he now going to try and erect barriers to airlines with more "productivity" than EK?

It must suck to have to compete against companies that can turn a profit due to cheaper labour and the advantage of more "relaxed" regulatory regimes and...oh wait, isn't that what the US majors complain about with the ME3?

I love irony.

trimotor
24th Nov 2016, 02:52
It does seem likely that the much-repeated mantra of 'we simply do it better' is about to be forgotten. It needs to be: multiple experiences of the quality of service having gone for a row, compounded by seriously disengaged and indifferent staff, on ground and in the air.

Attitudes have to change, starting at the top. It's now becoming slightly embarrassing to admit to working here - every punter you speak to now has a tale of woe: not like 10-15 years ago, when nothing but good was heard.

The Outlaw
24th Nov 2016, 05:15
Only slightly?

The next few years will a cross between a chicken abattoir and a zombie festival.

So many costa dwellers running around with no direction looking for brains.

If the regional psyche was open to the recognition of mistakes, open to suggestion, criticism and change then GF would have been a major concern.

Given that some of the talent came from GF to other ME operators, one doesn't have to look very far to predict the future.

Either way, its going to be a fine study for business universities all over the world that arrogance and market forces don't mix.

Nikita81
26th Nov 2016, 00:14
"I’ve got these few photos from a Dnata (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnata) employee. They present e-mails which Dnata employees got recently, notifying them that Dnata’s revenues are down 13% and that sales have decreased 14% and that there will be redundancies."

https://donotflyemirates.wordpress.com/2016/11/26/redundancies-in-emirates-group-why-does-dnata-fire-its-employees/

atpcliff
26th Nov 2016, 07:45
When I can fly via a ME carrier, I try to fly QR. I prefer their overall service (and the GREAT biz/1st class lounge in Doha), and they are OneWorld with AA.

If EK was in SkyTeam with DAL I would try and fly EK all the time...

serf
26th Nov 2016, 09:05
When I can fly via a ME carrier, I try to fly QR. I prefer their overall service (and the GREAT biz/1st class lounge in Doha), and they are OneWorld with AA.

If EK was in SkyTeam with DAL I would try and fly EK all the time...

QR business is good for sure, economy however is distinctly average compared to others.

Mr Good Cat
26th Nov 2016, 09:37
QR business is good for sure, economy however is distinctly average compared to others.

Is it not true though that most economy pax just want the cheapest ticket with a bit of In-flight entertainment and don't really care about the service etc?

First Class is a limited market so it's no surprise that all the focus is on Biz Class for the ME3 now. And QR does seem to do it better than the other two.

EK seems to have dug itself into a GF-style hole of mediocrity that it can't climb out of. Shame but I guess all empires have their day then fizzle away.

notapilot15
26th Nov 2016, 09:53
Any idea what 40,000 (65000 - 24000 FDC/CC) non-front line staff do? This is on top of 40,000 dnata. Are they EKAS and Emirates Kitchen? Do they serve other airlines at DXB? It appears there are other airport service companies at DXB.

40,000 seems to bit excessive to support 24,000 core staff.

Nikita81
26th Nov 2016, 10:34
What any cancer does. Growing until it kills its owner.

AlanPardew
26th Nov 2016, 13:59
What any cancer does. Growing until it kills its owner.

We all thought you were over this campaign now and had moved on with your life. It's very sad.

As with everyone who leaves says - let it go, you'll be much happier.

Capt. Flamingo
26th Nov 2016, 15:50
Do not engage

Nikita81
26th Nov 2016, 17:25
We all thought you were over this campaign... let it go, you'll be much happier.

You were wrong and I am happy.

Aluminium shuffler
27th Nov 2016, 04:03
And so Dragana turns another thread into a discussion about her...

Xiamen
27th Nov 2016, 08:37
And so Dragana turns another thread into a discussion about her...

No, Alan did that, supported by a Flamingo.
Her comment was quite relevant.

I don't get it. She is the only one with balls to take on EK and what do you do?
Attack her. Then you go back and continue your useless PPRuNe whining about EK.

Kapitanleutnant
27th Nov 2016, 08:40
Spot on Xiamen!!!!!!

goatherd
27th Nov 2016, 10:10
With Nikita and Xiamen on this one..... all those Indian and British mafias are killing Ek.

777boyindubai
27th Nov 2016, 10:28
Don't forget the parallels between GF and EK. Many of those failures came to EK including Timi, a former baggage handling manager....

To all the potential new joiners, perhaps you would do well to read the letter from Dnata telling employees that redundancy is on the cards. Oh but wait, isn't it illegal to make anyone redundant under UAE Labour Law? It is. But ONLY if your company is under that Law. EK although owned by the Dubai Government (via ICD) is considered a semi-government company. Hence no Labour Law.

Your contract is worthless. Just like the Brit and Indian mafia that are doing such a fabulous job of destroying the company. Lattes all round or is it Najooms?

notapilot15
27th Nov 2016, 12:09
@goatherd Future success of EK depends on the reduction % of these two groups.

IMHO they shouldn't be at any(senior,middle,team) level of management.

Nikita81
27th Nov 2016, 12:30
No, Alan did that, supported by a Flamingo.

Mansplaining turned against its users.

Nikita81
28th Nov 2016, 12:42
Agreed. It's the ultimate truth. Well observed SS. Except that Brits have their own mafia as well.

Ban healthy criticism and you've signed your own death sentence. Mueller should employ people who will tell the emperor that he is naked.

notapilot15
28th Nov 2016, 14:15
Emir is more powerful than an expat KBE. Unlike British and Indian mafias, locals want to keep this golden goose alive. Locals are here to stay. Indians can be sent home overnight. Issue is just with one mafia.

When QR got bad press about employee treatment, AAB tried (real or pretend don't know) to change. Because he is a local and has vested interest. Here both mafias have no long term vested interest in the success of the company. BR to GF to UL to EK, Timothy is no stranger to failed airlines.

If Emir didn't realize the gravity of the situation and the politics involved in restructuring, he wouldn't have bought Mueller on board.

Based on recent parroting by KBE it is evident Mueller running the show. Otherwise he would be demanding Airbus to build A380 NEO.