PDA

View Full Version : EASA and the Brexit

CertGuy
24th Jun 2016, 12:38
One small but important item I have not seen any information on is how the Brexit will change EASA?

I'm sure it is part of the eventual negotiation, but anyone want to take a guess?

Yes, an American here, so I'm not directly affected.

Aesir
24th Jun 2016, 18:51
Likely that the UK will be invited to join EFTA European free trade union and participate in EASA through that.

EFTA members are Iceland, Norway, Switzerland & Lichtenstein.

Ian Corrigible
24th Jun 2016, 19:02
CertGuy,

There's an on-going discussion over on R&N: EASA after Brexit, a new worldwide ICAO dynamic ? (http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/580770-easa-after-brexit-new-worldwide-icao-dynamic.html)

I/C

vfr440
24th Jun 2016, 19:06
Anyone thought just how the effects will be for what are current EU/domestic UK approvals, licences etc eg Part 145, M, 66, 147 Organisations and GA-orientated airfields? We have enough to deal with at present without any further complications, agree? - VFR

I/Cs link most useful, thanks. (Disregard much of the above unless there is something we all may have misconstrued)

CertGuy
24th Jun 2016, 19:49
I/C,
I'm new to the forums. I looked for other discussions, but didn't see that. Thanks, and I'll make better attempts not to clutter the forums. Should have looked harder.
CertGuy

Ian Corrigible
24th Jun 2016, 21:47
No harm, no foul. (And welcome aboard.)

Senior Pilot
25th Jun 2016, 07:21
CertGuy, there is no problem having this thread specifically for Rotorheads and thank you for starting it.

R & N tends to be very FW specific so our concerns do not always reflect what is contributed there.

Sir Niall Dementia
25th Jun 2016, 12:38
I would expect the UK to stay as signatories to EASA as it makes sense to do so.

Norway, Switzerland and others have gone that way and it works for them.

If Scotland decide to go their own way and join the EU the complications North of Carlisle don't bear thinking about!

SND

Hughes500
25th Jun 2016, 22:43
SND

Why would you want to go North of Carlisle ?

Palma
26th Jun 2016, 04:42
What is north of Carlisle?

Geoffersincornwall
26th Jun 2016, 05:37
Where's Carlisle?

rudestuff
26th Jun 2016, 06:54
There are places north of Carlisle?

whoknows idont
26th Jun 2016, 07:22
I already see you guys in the back of a long queue at the non-eu-citizen counter to go north of Carlisle...

Hughes500
26th Jun 2016, 14:39
who knows

Back of a long queue ? What To go and be eaten by midges or see Nicola Sturgeon ? Think not, both ruin a fantastic place !

SASless
26th Jun 2016, 15:23
I would expect the UK to stay as signatories to EASA as it makes sense to do so.

Since when has that been a Criteria used by Politicians to make a Decision or the CAA to issue Policy?

Jettiejock
28th Jun 2016, 10:00
It seems to me that the problem with continued EASA compliance is that when we leave the EU we will have no say over the future direction of policy and resulting legislation. If that is the case I think we should be campaigning for the UK to ditch EASA and develop our aviation rules nationally, in accordance with ICAO.

puntosaurus
29th Jun 2016, 06:00
Quote from the EASA website from 2006

Switzerland will tomorrow officially become a member of the European Aviation Safety Agency. It is the fourth non-EU country to adopt European Union aviation safety legislation after Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. Patrick Goudou, Executive Director of the Agency, said: “I welcome Switzerland’s membership. It is animportant step towards a more integrated safety system in Europe and underlines the key role of the Agency in this system”.
The four non-EU countries are represented in the Agency’s Management Board and nationals of these countries are eligible to work for the Agency.

Darren999
8th Jul 2016, 19:44
Jettiejock- I like you idea, would be nice to see the CAA recognize FAA qualifications and grant licenses based on foreign certificates like the FAA with EASA licenses....
But something tells me that will never happen..

jeepys
8th Jul 2016, 20:46
Darren999,
I think you are right that will never happen.
Prior to JAR the CAA never recognised the faa system as equivalent so I doubt they will in the future.