PDA

View Full Version : Qatar

MissShagwell
29th Jun 2002, 07:21
Qatar Airways advertised for Cabin Crew in the Sydney Morning Herald Weekend Edition June 29-30 2002 on page 16M

Based in Doha, Qatar Airways flies to 34 destinations in Europe, The Middle East and Asia and have a fleet of A330, A320 and A300 aircraft. Their operations are expanding and they are looking for enthusiastic customer - focussed individuals to join their cabin crew.

Requirements:
*Preferably aged 20-30 years old
*Minimum height of 158cm
*Well educated with a good command of written and spoken English
*Previous airline or customer service experience will be an advantage, but it is not essential as long as you understand the importance of good service.

Offering:
*Based in Doha, the state of Qatar
*Competitive Salary
*Free Accomodation
*Medical Insurance
*Airline Benefits
*Career prospectsand personal development opportunities are tremendous in a dynamic and exciting environment.

"If you feel you can contribute in building an exciting future for yourself, please come and meet us for a walk in interview" along with you CV with one full length and one passport size colour photograph; you must include your height and weight.Include details of why you would like the role in your cover letter.

Walk-in interviews and information sessions will be held in the central business district area on Tuesday 2 July and Wednesday 3 July.
Telephone 02 9212 0146 from today on between the hours of 0900-1700 to confirm your attendance.

Website is www.qatarairways.com (http://qatarairways.com)

Hope this is of help. Cheers,

Shaggy:D

nickmelb
29th Jun 2002, 07:39
anyone gng for it?

im debating whether to fly up to syd or not

Maradona
29th Jun 2002, 23:38
Nick Did you apply to Qatar Airways? Go for it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

mutt
30th Jun 2002, 03:43
Do Qatar employ male expat FA's?

Mutt.

nickmelb
30th Jun 2002, 07:40
hey maradona (love the name by the way)!

yer i did apply to them about 6 months ago....have an interview scheduled for 1200pm wednesday...have to organise my ticket to sydney...think i will go for the interview experience though..

makes it hard for males though...its hard for guys to get in with middle eastern airlines

anyone else gng along?

A300Man
30th Jun 2002, 08:59
Hey Mutt and all,

Qatar Airways DO take ex-pat male flight attendants. There are a couple of hundred males here just now - English, Irish, Belgian, German, Australian, Jordanian, Bangladeshi, Indian, Malaysian, Chinese, Dutch, French, Lebanese, Syrian, Sri Lankan, Portugese, Italian, Bulgarian, Tunisian, Moroccan, Egyptian......and I would say that there is an equal split of all those nationalities, although the majority are Indian and European.

Go for it!!!!! You'll all enjoy it here. Culture is different and the company is operated on strict principles. But, give it a try for a couple of years anyway.

There are also rumors around that QR are to start flying to Oz next year, as the Company tries to cash-in on business vacated by Gulf Air.

Drop me an e-mail if you need more info.

galleygirl
30th Jun 2002, 10:26
nickmelb and others

go for the interview! you have nothing to lose. i think its a great opportunity to get flying in the gulf. a nice change from EK. And now that Gulf Air seem to be having problems, Qatar seem to be the next best option in terms of future career prospects. Even though Doha isnt the greatest place on earth, it still has lots to offer in terms of lifestyle and location for travel on days off! best of luck!!

nickmelb
30th Jun 2002, 13:47
galleygirl

you are right...would be a great opportunity...and if i am not lucky enuff to get a job its just more interview experience!

keep u guys posted!

mutt
30th Jun 2002, 16:33
Thanks for the info A300man, but as I'm only a 2 hour flight to the west of you, my next move will be to somewhere COLD with an ample supply of Guinness http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/guin.gif

My question was just out of nosiness!

Cheers

Mutt.

Pam747
30th Jun 2002, 17:59
Hey Nic,

Long time, no hear! Hope you are well. Best of luck for your interview mate, let us know how you get on.

Pam XXX:D

A300Man
30th Jun 2002, 20:43
Hi Mutt and all,

Loved the animated Guinness being poured down pac-mans throat!!!!! We have Guinness in Qatar, you know.

Maybe not as good as the real thing on O'Connell Street, but sure does the trick on a Thursday night here in Doha.

Hope you are enjoying whatever you are doing 2 hours West of me, and to all the others who are considering Qatar Airways......go for it!!

e-mail for info.

nickmelb
30th Jun 2002, 23:53
pammy!!!

how r u!

hope all is well over there in dubai! will let u know how i go...

all the best

nick

A300Man
2nd Jul 2002, 09:37
Dear Nick and all,

For all of you guys out there going to the interviews tomorrow, very best of luck and we look forward to welcoming you all to Doha very soon. (I will be the thirsty-looking guy standing at the Doha Marriott corner bar every evening around 7pm. Feel free to buy me a drink.)

Seriously though, Good Luck to you all.

Prayers said, Nick!!!

nickmelb
2nd Jul 2002, 13:36
A300man

u rock mate..thanks for ur emails...check your inbox sent u one back....to everyone else gng to the interviews at qatar airways in sydney good luck to u all\

cheers

nick

Gotta-FOnow
3rd Jul 2002, 22:05
Guys and Girls

Suggest you search all about Qatar in Rumours / Middle east etc and take a very long hard look at what their offering. Duties are very long living conditions are ok but qatar is not the same as living in dubai. Been their done it and well yes loved my time in Qatar and QR but would not advise anyone to take it. Did you know that they probably wont pay for your return tkt home but only as far as BKK or MNL.

Was quite a few ozzies their who were ex Ansett Worldwide/Nordstress contract from italy none left the last girl who left them was in charge of training and got shafted rather nicely if you get my meaning.

Its long hours / very hard work and well lets just say a junior at EK earns more than a Cabin Service Director at QR.

Not that im shy of hard work was their 3 1/2 years and did enjoy it but not working for the ceo of qatar who is lets just say a little bit power hungry.

If you want any advise just let me know. They are constantly short of crews approx 30 europeans left last month due to the rosters. Not a lot of days off at base but down route.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ask the people who have worked their like gulf-crew or tabba or me

happy flying

:eek: :eek: :eek:

nickmelb
4th Jul 2002, 00:14
who else was at the interviews for qatar?

how did u go?

cheers

nick

:)

AustralianStyle
4th Jul 2002, 07:41
I went to the interview and thought I went ok ... hard to tell though. Does anyone have any examples of how bad the rosters are ?:confused:

nickmelb
4th Jul 2002, 08:07
Australian style

when did u have yours? had mine yesterday at 9am...made it thru to final interview with the panel.....now just waiting to hear...about 2 weeks they said,..what did they say 2 u>?

A300Man
4th Jul 2002, 19:07
QR rosters are pretty random and erratic. One month your roster will be good, and the next not so good. Depends on your definition of good, though!

Initially during the training phase, you will be given a number of local turnaround sectors, typically Dubai and Abu Dhabi on the A320 and sometimes the A300.

Short sectors, but a full service with a full load on a 40 minute block time isnt easy.

Lately, the company has been keen to "throw you in at the deep end", and place new FA's onto long haul London flights. Although this would normally happen in the 3rd week of flying, it can be much easier than the short local turnarounds. Again, it depends on your own preference and definition of easy......

Each month will - on average - contain 4 layovers for a new recruit, and the remainder turnarounds. Layovers would normally be Kathmandu, Dhaka, Colombo and Trivandrum. (Reasonably short block times).

But, in the main, there are no hard and fast rules, and crew availability during the peak periods sometimes plays more of a part than it should (lots of crew are curently on annual vacation).

I know of one new recruit last month who had all long flights on her roster - Paris, London, Colombo, Munich........just depends too on the assesment given by the trainers (line and classroom) during your training period.

Don't worry though. You'll all manage, especially if you have flying experience.

Nick - I forgot to ask if you were experienced or not? e-mail me.

Take care

Maradona
4th Jul 2002, 22:07
I made it through to the panel interview as well. And like nick i will find out in 2-3 weeks. It seems like a really good company to work for, their were heaps of Ansett flight attendants their, and their was also a girl who use to work for Gulf Air, id love to be given the green light, to move to Doha. I guess we will have to wait and see. I will let you know how it all goes. And guys just remember that they are recruiting all around the world. Good Luck all

nickmelb
5th Jul 2002, 01:39
maradonna

when did u have ur interview mate?

cheers

nick:D

manty
5th Jul 2002, 03:20
Does anyone here know whether Qatar employ asian??? I'm from Singapore and I have never seen the recruitment ad for Qatar. I really want to give it a try. How long is the bond??? Is it the same as EK?And pay wise pls, I need a lot of info.....:)

thanx

AustralianStyle
5th Jul 2002, 05:27
Nick I had mine at 1230pm Tues. Im ex Ansett and they kind of fast tracked us I guess ... Watched the video and then went and discussed the nitty gritty stuff with an ex-union rep. After that had a one on four with the Qatar manager. Difficult to say how it went honestly ... Said we will recieve a 'yay' or 'nay' in about 10 days. Also thanks A300 for roster info - how long do you stay in a port on an overnight trip ?

may
5th Jul 2002, 13:34
manty,
QR does recruit asian people. I actually had a girl from Singapore in my training course last year but unfortunately she left to get married back home!

A300man,
part of our training is 2 observer flights, one in the A320 and one in the A300. The reason for that is that service in the narrow-bodied aircraft is different to that in the wide-bodied. I think now new recruits can get an obs flight in the A330 instead of the A300. Depends on rostering.

goofy76
6th Jul 2002, 07:07
I also went for an interview with QR on tues 12midday session. Grateful to hear from other attendees when they might get a response from them.

I've been an avid observer till today when I decided to register and join in on the discussions.

Thanks

Maradona
7th Jul 2002, 06:18
Mate i went to the interview on Tuesday 2nd at 9am with Qatar Airways, got through to the second stage, now im just waiting to hear if i get the nod, or if i get a letter saying thanks for coming. After consideration i applied to QF for Casual positions, have my interview 10th july at 8am. I will be looking for the postman, waiting for that letter. Hey Nick are you a FA or wanting to be one? All the best mate. Hey r u going for QF casual position?

nickmelb
7th Jul 2002, 07:44
maradona

i was there on tuesday at 9am as well...we probably chatted hahahaha small world

email me if u like mate...

cheers

nick

manty
7th Jul 2002, 14:10
Hey good luck to you both, hope you guys get into Qatar!!! I'm not really sure if they are conducting the interview here in S'pore. If not, I had to try my luck with EK again. Pls keep me posted regarding the outcome k!!!:D

Number 5
10th Jul 2002, 11:03
tread very carefully people...

take it from someone who knows...the management (cabin crew) are nasty pieces of work!!!

go to ek...much more stable!;)

Paulsyd1
11th Jul 2002, 10:07
Hey Nick

I'm in the same boat man. Just waitin for the "Yay" or "Nay"...
I was the last to go thru the panel from our group. I was the 'Last Man Standing' geez it had those horrible similarities to Big Brother evictions..
For those who made it thru the final stage... Good Luck!!
This waiting is horrible... Anyone know how many FA's they are lookin to recruit from OZ?
Be sure to let us know when you finally here from them.

Paul:)

Lodestar
11th Jul 2002, 12:48
Hey A300man,

I was just wondering how I could get in touch with you. If you want you can mail me on [email protected]

Thanks, would appreciate it!

nickmelb
11th Jul 2002, 13:15
paulsyd

cant beleive we sat next to each other at the group interview!

small world huh matey

Paulsyd1
12th Jul 2002, 01:44
Well kids..

Just wondering if anyone esp.ex AN staff has had any response from QR.
I heard a group (90) Flight Force staff were interviewed on the Monday before the general Information and registration sessions were held on Tues/Wed.
If so were you guys given any indication of the intake number for OZ FA's, and what was the time frame specified to you?
We were told that we should receive a response in two weeks.. (1 week to go).. and if given the green light , Visa's would be organised ready to commence 4weeks.

Paulsyd1:)

nickmelb
12th Jul 2002, 02:14
qatar interviews

paul...

probably wont hear anything now till monday..its their weekend over in Doha now..(fri and sat)...

apparently loads of people were interviewed and they are culling the lists as we speak..

good luck everyone

gulf-crew
12th Jul 2002, 10:47
Ok guys have sat back and looked at all your replies and well what can I say.

Fact Qatar Airways have a no poaching agreement with EK so if your looking at it as a way to perhaps get over to Emirates forget it. They will not touch you with a barge pole if you join qatar.

You would have to resign from QR go home and then apply.

Perhaps your looking to join qatar to get some experience give it a try but can guarantee that within six months if not sooner you'll be quitting and going home or jumping ship down route somewhere.

Their are still a lot of problems at qr well what can you say with 31 cabin crew resigning in the month of may and many more in the last few months.

Please dont get me wrong I very much enjoyed my time at QR and the country is great a little bit hot but what can you expect with living in the middle east. But what I did refuse to accept was a COMPANY CEO telling me what I can do in my spare time and who I can see as well.

As for rosters I still have a few friends still their and their rosters are like hell and have been for months operating with min crew and getting bribed to do it. Days off down route seem to be common place these days and its being rostered that way. It has not moved on from my time back in early 1997 only got a few more crew..

Suggest you check things out very carefully and not just take the glossy cover and oh by the way the training department is also run by a twit who also thinks he god!!!!!

Best bet guys hang it out and keep going for EK if its the middle east life you want and also a No1 (CSD) at qatar gets about the same money as a Junior at EK. (this is fact also)

Happy flying and keep safe:D ;) ;) ;)

Number 5
12th Jul 2002, 11:02
Gulf Crew,

Been trying to get a hold of you...call me at home asap!!!!

and guys, listen to Gulf Crew or Taba (where is he anyway?) or myself, been there and we know the score!

Be sensible!

........ARMCHAIR..........

gulf-crew
12th Jul 2002, 15:44
Number 5

Soz mate out in the sun did tell you. Ph not working send me email flying back monday BA109 eta 1400 L will call you then

A300Man
13th Jul 2002, 18:57
Hey Lodestar,

Have just read your message today. Sorry for the delay. I have tried to e-mail you, so please check your inbox and I'll be glad to help if I can.

Best wishes.

A300Man

Maradona
14th Jul 2002, 08:50
Hi Guys and Girls, Has anyone recieved their letter from Qatar Airways, as to wheather they were given the go ahead for the 3rd round of the interview? Im sure everyone would love to know. Thanks Guys

dininghigh
14th Jul 2002, 09:42
ya Hello I was one of the ex Ansett crew that went on the monday Interview .There was no flight force people there and there was only 31 ex Ansett crew .
We all watched a vid on Qatar and them had interviews 5 people at a time .
I know of one people that has been told so far about getting the job ,but as for the rest well they will be told soon ,.
talk to you soon
see

nickmelb
16th Jul 2002, 03:12
hey fellow peoples

maradona u mentioned that there would be a 3rd interview? is this right? i was told that my interview with the panel would be the last interview? *confused*

we probably should hear any day now anyways...well done to the ex ansett staff member who got the green light!

cheers

nick:p

Maradona
20th Jul 2002, 01:28
Anyone got a letter from Qatar Airways YET??????????
Waiting Waiting Waiting.

nickmelb
20th Jul 2002, 02:03
apparently 2moro maradona!

cheers

nick

Paulsyd1
20th Jul 2002, 08:59
Still no word!!!!

Anyone else heard anything yet?

Paul:rolleyes:

Maradona
20th Jul 2002, 09:45
How did you go with Qantas/MAM?

Paulsyd1
24th Jul 2002, 00:45
Howdy...

Made it through to the panel interview but was told because 6months had not yet lapsed since my last application i was not able to proceed further....:(

I originally applied for the QF position in June/July last year..(thru the medical,psyc. test, and security clearance) but only received my rejection letter 3months ago, I was waiting for such a long time! aparently my 6months waiting period is from the date of that letter. Oh well... makes me more determined next time.;)

Nick, Maradona... & anyone else who was interviewed for QR

You guys heard anything yet???

Does anyone know if any applicants were asked back for their second round panel interview? ( the ones who did not have their panels that afternoon).

Its the wait that is the hardest part of the interview process...

Best of luck all!

Paulsyd1

goofy76
24th Jul 2002, 08:53
Hi guys

I'm sure if someone had heard a reply from QR it would be posted here but I'm still waiting in the wings to hear aswell.

Do we now pressume to be unsuccessful? Does anyone know of anyone who got through?

manty
24th Jul 2002, 10:47
Hi guys......i sent my CV 3 weeks ago but I didn't receive any news yet! Does it mean I'm not selected... :confused:

Maradona
24th Jul 2002, 12:31
They havent made up their minds, as to who they will select or if they will select anyone from Sydney, i guess we just have to wait and wait and wait some more till they are ready to decide who they want and who they dont want for this round of recruitment.

manty
24th Jul 2002, 12:37
i hate waiting...aaaaarrrggggghhhhhh driving me crazy!!!:mad: sigh.....if not i will still try for my fav airline which is EK. dunno when the recruitment drive will be next time.

Paulsyd1
25th Jul 2002, 05:34
Still waiting...........

Are we there yet.. Are we there yet???

nickmelb
28th Jul 2002, 23:30
well i found out last nite that i didnt make the final cut for Qatar Airways...sighhhh...its all good though..just wasnt meant to be...

great interview experience though...anyone else found out?

cheers

nick :p

ps-paulsyd and maradona best of luck! and anyone else waiting for their results good luck as well!

Maradona
29th Jul 2002, 04:55
Hey Nick, Did you recieve an e mail from them ?? let us know. I havent recieved an e mail as yet, maybe we will hear somethin during the week. Dont worry nick, you just have to keep your chin up and keep applying. I didnt recieve anything in the mail today, maybe its on its way. Well nick, at least the wait is over. Keep smiling. Look forward to your reply, or you can e mail me if you like.

flygirl28
29th Jul 2002, 05:08
NickMelb, sorrry to hear that you didn't make the final cut for QR, however, great believer in fate and i think that in the long term this is possibly a good thing. Like Gulfcrew, have been there and done that, it wasn't pretty. Would say to you "hang on in there" and apply for an airline that values its staff. If you've never flown before, Qatar would possibly be enough to put you off forever.

Barcode Babe
29th Jul 2002, 15:09
nick

don't be disappointed mister im sure you are destined for better things to come. As i have read from this message board QR are not that good to work for. I too was tempted by the advertisement, but decided not to after what i heard about QR from people i knew.

I have only started using this website and must say its great.

It is their loss, and also Emirates are coming to melbourne in about 8 weeks. Im sure u will be fine there.

I myself have made it through to the medical stage with QF for their casual positions. But as everything in this world nothing is ever a guarantee.

Does anyone know what happens after the medical? Training dates etc etc.

Best of luck to all chins up!
:rolleyes:

cloud nine
29th Jul 2002, 20:21
Barcode Babe,

My belief is that after your medical results are received by QF medical, that your application will then go in front of QF HR and its then that they will select the best applicants. Ive heard that the first ground school will start as early as August this year.

Goodluck with it all, and let us know how you go.:)

nickmelb
30th Jul 2002, 13:49
barcode babe

nice name! :)

thanks for ur message...good luck with QF

let us know how u go...sure u will be fine!

A300Man
30th Jul 2002, 20:13
Nicki,

Hi there. Hope u are well. Just in from AUH. Ref your recent query regarding QR re-visiting Oz, I am told that it should be around October!!!!!!!

In QR terms, that probably means February 2003!!! LOL

Keep u posted mate.

Barcode Babe
1st Aug 2002, 11:25
Nick & Cloud 9,

Thanks for the info and best wishes. ;)

An update is not too far away, let's hope it's all good! Hope that life is treating you both well and all the best with your conquests....

Take care, ciao B.Babe

Maradona
1st Aug 2002, 12:29
Hi guys and girls, Just wanted to let everyone know, that a girlfriend of mine, got a phone call from Qatar Airways today, saying she was given the green light for the job. She was told that only 9 people were offered positions in Australia, and 4 of them were x ansett staff. I guess we have to wait and see if we were the lucky 4. Im very happy for her:)

MaxMet
1st Aug 2002, 14:56
Could anyone tell me if Qatar are still recruiting for Cabin Crew in either their Mainline Flight or V.I.P Flight?

Thank you for the help.

MM

cabin secure
5th Aug 2002, 11:19
Congrats on getting Qatar.
Would have gone to the interview myself if I'd not heard about it the day before. Try getting on a flight in school hols with one days notice..... and that's paying full fare.
Have emailed them my resume in the hope that the rumours re them coming back to do more interviews are true.
Am ex AN myself and am still very proud of the way we ran our service. Have had a chance to check out our previous competition in the last 6 months and have to agree not a patch on AN.
Notwithstanding the fact that not all AN F/A's were hard workers or always happy, as with crews the world over, you can't expect that a few bad apples wont slip through the system.
Do us proud BOURGEOISIE. Along with the other AN guys show them just how great we are so they come back for more!!!

blue cheese
19th Dec 2002, 07:13
Hi everyone,

I just had my interview with QR last week... and i am wondering how soon can we hear from them?

All these waiting is driving me and other candidates crazy!!!

Amelia
20th Dec 2002, 19:43
Well, it depends. I had my confirmation telephone call three days later saying I was accepted and offered the position. Many ones have had to wait many weeks!

blue cheese
21st Dec 2002, 02:46
Hi Amelia

Good to see you here.. :)

3 days for you?? Wow, that's really fast. I guess i dont have such luck!

I should be getting my results after new year... :(

Amelia
21st Dec 2002, 11:15
You too!

After New Year? By the time I'll be leaving. Perhaps you are the one who will be filling in my position once I leave! :)

Have you heard anything from them at all? When my interview was other they said we would have to wait a few weeks before we hear from them. But after three days, one of the recruitment manager phoned me. I was quite surprised!

Goldstone
21st Dec 2002, 19:18
Not that I want to put any of you off the idea of QR .... but it is a VERY difficult company to work for (read some of the threads on here) ... and Doha is probably one of the most boring places on earth to live ... and I mean B.O.R.I.N.G. Nothing to do, place looks half finished, spend all your time with the same small group of people (OK if you've lived the expat lifestyle before, I guess), hellish summer climate ..... I could go on!!

If you're considering the Gulf, Dubai or Bahrain are MUCH nicer places to live.

Amelia
21st Dec 2002, 19:24
I couldn't agree less, Goldstone. Doha is the most boring place on earth. After one week in Qatar and you know this city backwards. This is why I spend most of my days off running in the desert. :) At least you have some privacy out there.

Bahrain is wonderful. So is Oman!

goatgirl
31st Dec 2002, 12:14
Please please please to any of you out there thinking seriously about going to QR, please thinkk again.

It might be easy to dismiss the gossip on here as sour grapes or boredom or whatever, but an awful lot of people have an awful lot of bad things to say about such a small company. It's not by accident.

Most of us came from western airlines, where the management are human beings and will listen to you. This is not the case in QR. You honestly have no idea how they will shaft you.
Do yourselves a favour, and do not go. I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to go to QR.

Don't bother listening to A300 Man, I'm still trying to work out whether it's AAB himself or whether AAB just pays him to post

taba
31st Dec 2002, 13:45
Goat girl!

It could be him, although I had been thinking it was this bit edited out as he knows a lot about QR.

However, A300 man stated he knows who I am and knew my wife and that she was a good CSD!!?? I have asked him to PM me but he has not!

We had a great time there socially and some good flights, but until AAB lets the people do their job it will always remain a hostile and volatile airline to work for!

taba
1st Jan 2003, 02:19
happy new year to the survivors!

hope there are no tests in the morning!

A300Man
2nd Jan 2003, 09:30
Taba

I have been absent from the forum for quite some time and have been too busy to write. However, I insist that you retract your last comments made about me which have no place on the forum whatsoever. Your comments are inaccurate and not at all true. I am extremely disappointed to have read this slur on my character.

Like me, many of the individuals who write and post on this forum will know the guy that you are referring to. However, it is not me and I await your apology.

Indeed, I am furious at your comments Taba. Inaccurate and totally ludicrous.

Sick Squid
2nd Jan 2003, 09:55
Just caught this one myself... folks one of the great no-no's in here is do not "out" peoples real identities or try to fish for information as to them. Whatever your beef with someones stance or views you simply must not speculate in public like this, either way. If people want to make their identity known they will, otherwise respect the anonymity. This applies either way, here.

This thread has run it's course, and I'm closing it down now. Future discussion on QR will be watched very closely indeed.

Sick Squid
CC Forum Moderator