PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows USA tour 1972 video

mmitch
21st Jun 2016, 17:30
A video of the Red Arrows visit to the USA in 1972.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xCbeY6HjE
mmitch.

Bill Macgillivray
22nd Jun 2016, 09:14
That brings back a few memories!! Thanks for the link.

Bill.

Hockham Admiral
23rd Jun 2016, 06:04
Those guys were seriously LOW!

ICM
23rd Jun 2016, 15:02
Presumably to help with Showing The Flag, BDS(W) summoned all of us on Exchange in the States at the time for a 'Conference' in DC - a very sociable few days, as I recall, including a day at the Transpo event out at Dulles to help swell the crowd watching the Arrows. (And I still think that the Diamond Nine with the Gnats looked better than with today's Hawks.)

Geezers of Nazareth
25th Jun 2016, 11:42
Interesting to see the Gnats using braking 'chutes on landing at Reading ... can't say that I can recollect seeing that before.

India Four Two
25th Jun 2016, 12:11
Those guys were seriously LOW!

Those were the days! It brought back the smell of the smoke drifting down over the crowd.

Great shot near the end of a pilot jumping down to the ground. A reminder of how tiny the Gnat was.

ICM
25th Jun 2016, 13:37
"It brought back the smell of the smoke drifting down over the crowd."

For the RAF 50th birthday Review at Abingdon in 1968, the Arrows were based at Benson and we were treated to some remarkably low passes as they returned each day from rehearsals. The surface of the road into Wallingford was stained in a red/white/blue mix for over a week afterwards.

mmitch
25th Jun 2016, 13:51
They used to do a display at Brands Hatch circuit once a year. The valley was full of coloured 'smog' by the time they had finished and held up the next race! There was a photo once of one passing lower than the commentary box which was about 50 feet high!
mmitch.