PDA

View Full Version : The secret life of a transgender airman

westernhero
18th Jun 2016, 07:59
Ok folks who wants to hold their hand up and admit it's them or have similar feeling ?

The secret life of a transgender airman - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36429860)

I'm sure all on here are with you and are full of understanding :)

Basil
18th Jun 2016, 08:42
Quagmire: "Pre or post op?" :E

Tankertrashnav
18th Jun 2016, 08:58
We've even had women serving in the marines!

For instance Hanna Snell, the daughter of a dyer from Worcester, enlisted in the army in 1745, deserted, and then enlisted in the marines - who were shipboard soldiers (later to become the Royal Marines) who helped keep discipline onboard ship. Hanna saw action in this capacity, and was eventually badly wounded in both thighs. Despite this, her true sex was never identified, and she recovered from her wounds. In 1750 she revealed her true identity, became a celebrity and starred on the stage.

(from the BBC history website)

Ken Scott
18th Jun 2016, 12:42
From the RAF Museum newsletter:

Pride in our RAF Personnel

On Saturday 25 June the Museum will be participating in London Pride by taking part in the Parade marching behind LGBT RAF Personnel.

At the same time the Red Arrows will be participating for the first time at Pride by doing a flypast over the Parade as it enters Trafalgar Square

Squadron Leader David Montenegro, Red 1 and Team Leader of the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, will be flying at the front of the nine-aircraft formation over the Pride event.

He said: “The Red Arrows are honoured to feature as a part of this year’s Pride in London. The flypast will illustrate the team’s role representing both the United Kingdom and also the dedicated, skilled and talented people drawn from all backgrounds serving across our Armed Forces."

Armed Forces Minister Penny Mordaunt said: “This flypast by the RAF Red Arrows is important as it embodies the huge progress made by the military in recent years to ensure our Armed Forces reflect society."

"All three Services are now among the most inclusive workplaces for LGBT employees and will support Pride in London."

Reds might not be performing aerobatics at the Farnborough Airshow but they will be doing their bit for the LGBT community.

Pontius Navigator
18th Jun 2016, 13:32
Ken,I think we already went down that street.

FLCH
18th Jun 2016, 14:00
The article says she is a Master Sergeant in the US Air Force, yet she has flown as a fighter pilot in every major conflict since the Gulf War.

Maybe the Beeb got it's fact's jumbled up ?

FLCH
18th Jun 2016, 19:07
You're right sorry about that.....

SASless
18th Jun 2016, 21:04
the Red Arrows will be participating for the first time at Pride by doing a flypast over the Parade as it enters Trafalgar Square

What color smoke will they be using for this flypast?

BEagle
18th Jun 2016, 21:29
SASless wrote: What color smoke will they be using for this flypast?

Probably their normal coloUrs, of red, white and blue.

I don't agree with flaunting nature of this London Pride bolleaux, but if the Reds have to take part, I suppose that the rainbow colours (once associated with Hawaii, now stolen by the gays) would be an appropriate way to show sympathy for the Orlando outrage.

Either that or just mix red and white 50:50....??

SASless
18th Jun 2016, 21:49
Just mix red and white 50:50....??:oh:

Or a similar mixture of Light Blue and Pink.....but in the UK this would get awkward as it would generate a Shade of Purple.

PersonFromPorlock
19th Jun 2016, 00:04
The article says she is a Master Sergeant in the US Air Force, yet she has flown as a fighter pilot in every major conflict since the Gulf War.

Maybe the Beeb got it's fact's jumbled up ? USAF allows commissioned officers passed over for promotion under the up-or-out promotion system to enlist as NCOs in order to finish out their twenty years for retirement. I have to say that MSgt, seems a little high ranking, usually the ex-officer enlists as a Staff Sergeant. Still, he could have been an NCO for the last ten years and made higher rank.

Or it may be that my thirty-year old memory of 'how things are' has been overtaken by events.