PDA

View Full Version : EK tablets

kipper the dog
16th Jun 2016, 06:10
So, its all gone a bit quiet on the tablet front, anyone any idea whats happening?
Thought the trial period was over and they were supposed to be up and running by now.

Still don't know why they didn't buy the iPad, heard a rumour it was because Apple wouldn't give them a discount.

what_goes_up
16th Jun 2016, 06:14
Trial extended till later this month due to some issues with updates.
I, for myself, am really happy we are not going for IPads but a fully working laptop...

natops
16th Jun 2016, 06:38
Heard from a training manager it was postponed another almost 6 months...

Dirigible
16th Jun 2016, 06:47
Apparently the whole trial an unmitigated disaster.

5star
16th Jun 2016, 07:41
guys give fleet some time.
Heard from a source they are working very hard on the enhanced v9.0.0 'pilot snack box' project. If only you'd know how long it took them to find a supplier who could deliver boxes in the same sh*ty brown as the Boeing cockpit. :ok:
Well, that mission has succeeded. Who cares what's in the box... ;)

springbok449
16th Jun 2016, 07:51
Heard that they have finally admitted that instead of re-inventing the wheel they should now opt for a proven product like most other airlines that are using tablets...

DuneMentat
16th Jun 2016, 09:12
http://scontent-fra3-1.cdninstagram.com/l/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/13298168_1696548517265796_277323206_n.jpg

fatbus
16th Jun 2016, 10:54
This whole tablet fiasco typifies EK management.

Monarch Man
16th Jun 2016, 12:00
This whole tablet fiasco typifies EK management.

This whole tablet fiasco typifies EK Mis-management.

There you go Fatty, I fixed it for you.

Mr Good Cat
16th Jun 2016, 12:13
The iPad LIDO solution works just perfectly if you don't mind not having your GPS position incorporated into the charts.

The best thing is that the Apple product is far more stable and robust than it's counterparts' efforts and the iPas Air is light and handy to maneuver round the centre console when briefing with your colleague.

allaru
16th Jun 2016, 12:38
Personally, I have better things to be doing than updating and fixing bugs on their pile of crap OS and tablet everytime I try to use it. This is where it all started before they tried to fix it with win 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Qo_2I0NvQ

No doubt someone is benefiting greatly from this deal.....Why don't we just put them in the aircraft cause I don't want to cart this useless brick around the world.

Wizofoz
16th Jun 2016, 12:52
The iPad LIDO solution works just perfectly if you don't mind not having your GPS position incorporated into the charts

Friends using IPADs as EFBs have said it DOES have ship position- but that may be with Jepps rather than LIDO.

Trader
16th Jun 2016, 13:18
There is a huge number of airline and private operators using ipads. They have done leg work, sorted the issues, designed various mountings etc etc etc etc.

EK has to reinvent the wheel - for whatever reason.

Get creative. Most pilots have ipads. If they went with ipads they could save a bundle in costs. Pass half the saving back to the pilot if he uses his own device. Both sides are happy, save money with the added advantage that people take better care of their own belongings.

SOPS
16th Jun 2016, 13:23
Well I can tell you this. 6 years ago I was off on a medical problem for 3 months. I was called into the office to work on a 'special project' overseen by EGT. It was 'trouble shooting' the new onboard laptops, EFBs, whatever you want to call them. After 2 months, of what I thought was useless work ( my opinion only), we were told 'thanks, we will send you feed back' .....never heard another word. The reinvention of the wheel has been going on for years. ( this is only my own opinion)

Yorkshire_Pudding
16th Jun 2016, 14:04
I'm sure there are younger new joiners who have never seen paper charts on a flight deck before. My last operator with 30 year old boeings had iPad EFB.

glofish
16th Jun 2016, 15:55
retrofitting the originally intended EFB (which by all accounts performs splendidly)

You must be joking, or fasting .....

Just try to hit the little crappy button for the issuing date on top of the screen with only the slightest light turbulence, and you're in for a go at a hole in one!

.... and by the way, try reading the transition lvl/alt on a very simple and ordinary star page ....

This system is as unusable as the little manager who got mad at Apple, because they put him back under the pathetic ME stone he belongs. :ugh:

lospilotos
16th Jun 2016, 16:37
You must be joking, or fasting .....

Just try to hit the little crappy button for the issuing date on top of the screen with only the slightest light turbulence, and you're in for a go at a hole in one!

.... and by the way, try reading the transition lvl/alt on a very simple and ordinary star page ....

This system is as unusable as the little manager who got mad at Apple, because they put him back under the pathetic ME stone he belongs. :ugh:

You are talking about the Class 2 we have installed, which is an EK bespoke solution. The previous poster is probably talking about the Boeing solution.

anson harris
17th Jun 2016, 10:46
Friends using IPADs as EFBs have said it DOES have ship position- but that may be with Jepps rather than LIDO.

Lido does have aircraft position - it can be figured out by the iPad itself from GPS or can be fed from the FMC using a cable.

Either way, I've been using it for some time and it works brilliantly.

Yorkshire_Pudding
17th Jun 2016, 13:38
apparently they're issuing warning letters for hanging the laptop off the window opening handle ala a jingly "EFB"

Even in the cruise?

spanishfly69
17th Jun 2016, 14:30
Just out of curiosity,
how does management know that one was hanging the laptop in the window?

TOGA!
17th Jun 2016, 17:17
Is there something written that forbids laptop from being hung on handle?

my salami
17th Jun 2016, 18:35
Is there something written that forbids laptop from being hung on handle?

Maybe something like O.M-A 8.1.13 saying.. EFB must be stowed for Takeoff and Landing..?

natops
17th Jun 2016, 19:12
Havent seen a efb hanging on the jingly handle during t/o and landing.

Everything in between I have.

Monarch Man
17th Jun 2016, 19:15
Maybe something like O.M-A 8.1.13 saying.. EFB must be stowed for Takeoff and Landing..?

Eh? Are you telling me that there are brain donors that will leave the laptop still hung on the window opening handle for take off and landing? If so, maybe a warning letter is worth it, but better yet a whack on the head for being stupid.

That aside, what is it about our colleagues who I shall name the "special squad", these are the individuals who like to report or chastise their fellow co-workers on the flimsiest of pretexts, more often than not hiding behind an asinine rule or regulation that was written by stupid people so that equally stupid people can engage in stupid rule bound behaviour.

I despair that there are people with so little between their ears that they think leaving a 1kg metallic missile unsecured on a handle is an acceptable act, but I'm equally appalled that there would be such a lack of communication and CRM skills that would lead to a warning letter being issued.

Enos
17th Jun 2016, 21:05
Never seen even the most special individual attempt to hang it from the handle prior to take off.

About a year ago I did read an ASR referring to the window handle coming unlatched inflight resulting in an EICAS msg, this could be the only way I could think of a warning letter being issued.

Couldn't imagine anyone being dumb enough to write up a colleague for it.

Fleet why didn't you just ask him to take it off .....ah I duno

kipper the dog
18th Jun 2016, 08:10
Would be nice if our management were considering a U turn and going for a tried and tested product like the iPad.
But that would mean admitting a mistake, with perceived loss of face.

Nah, thats not going to happen!

Panther 88
18th Jun 2016, 10:09
Kipper, As you know, mistakes are never made here. Everything is perfect. If something is amiss, it will just disappear and forgotten. Admitting mistakes would invite reports of other aspects of the operation that are skewed.

donpizmeov
18th Jun 2016, 20:56
Are there many aircraft with only a laptop and not a EFB?

lospilotos
19th Jun 2016, 02:42
I'd say the majority of the 777 only has laptops (Class 1)

alwayzinit
19th Jun 2016, 06:36
It is striking that even with the "everything is perfect" mentality that the laptop, read brick, that we have was and still is the unit of choice!
It is ridiculously heavy, ergonomically clumsy and doesn't stow cleanly or securely anywhere where it is easily accessible.
For those hanging out for a new tablet, don't hold your breath, it doesn't take the brains of an Archbishop to see that the piggy bank is empty......................:eek:

Slash787
24th Jun 2016, 16:26
So what tablets are being used? made by boeing? Delta was starting to use Surface 2, but it sucked.

I would say Ipad mini would have been the best choice

Twiglet1
24th Jun 2016, 16:54
You guys need to start moaning about having a fire bag for the dam thing if it starts running away. Least on the A380 you can stick it in the shower
Such moaning is happening elsewhere

rubymurray
24th Jun 2016, 17:07
Like the one we already have? That's kept in the same cupboard as the laptops?

Life Vest
21st Oct 2016, 07:20
"Look out Tablet"

Finally a solution to the Microsoft Surface tablets forced upon us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyhjUFcXgo0

BigGeordie
21st Oct 2016, 07:23
Yup, that'll do it. Since we are responsible for the damn thing (on pain of salary deduction should anything happen to it) it seems to me the safest place for it is at home, in its box.

Has anybody found it useful? I haven't collected mine yet.

JNPS
21st Oct 2016, 07:24
"Look out Tablet"

Finally a solution to the Microsoft Surface tablets forced upon us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyhjUFcXgo0

When you try to use it on an unsecured network, like JNB, that's pretty much going to be the reaction.

Sheikh Your Bootie
21st Oct 2016, 10:49
Picked mine up last week, finally got it out of the box, did the Ahlan first connection thing and then left it alone updating for a day :ugh::ugh::ugh:

So far, the apps freeze and become unresponsive, everything takes an age to load up. Had to restart it 3 times the other day on a sort turnaround. Best thing for it is a door stop. POS.

SyB :{:{

fliion
21st Oct 2016, 11:17
Same as Sheik

My record is six reboots to get it to unfreeze.

When it works without freeze (rarely) - it's handy.

BLOGGSON
21st Oct 2016, 11:23
Got a note to pick mine up. First time it does that crashing and rebooting sh1t I'm taking it back.

fliion
21st Oct 2016, 12:27
Yep, giving mine back and anytime a new one freezes will keep on giving it back.

Mr Good Cat
21st Oct 2016, 16:17
Is there any official reason given that the 'tried and tested' iPad is not being selected as the EFB of choice. All the other major airlines surely can't be wrong?

ExDubai
21st Oct 2016, 16:33
The problem isn't the hardware.

Mr Good Cat
21st Oct 2016, 16:39
I remember in the old days it was AS's personal hatred of mobile/tablet devices, but I guess that's not an issue anymore.

theidler
21st Oct 2016, 16:47
Is there any official reason given that the 'tried and tested' iPad is not being selected as the EFB of choice. All the other major airlines surely can't be wrong?

My take was that it's a budget thing i.e. the cheapest available like everything else here.

But a casual comment to somebody in the know revealed that just like the CRS bidding system they wanted to fiddle with it and apparently iPad won't allow that. But Surface or whatever it is will.

Calmcavok
21st Oct 2016, 17:09
If it's frozen, let it go...

Ba da boom.

BLOGGSON
21st Oct 2016, 17:09
Yes. Apparently they wanted to fiddle with the security to make it a bespoke system but Apple told them to knob off as they aren't a big enough customer! I'm just happy if someone told them to knob off for whatever reason.

Divertnow
21st Oct 2016, 20:23
Yes. Apparently they wanted to fiddle with the security to make it a bespoke system but Apple told them to knob off as they aren't a big enough customer! I'm just happy if someone told them to knob off for whatever reason.
I had heard it's because we have some sort of exclusive agreement with Microsoft.

Wizofoz
22nd Oct 2016, 02:31
I use a Surface as my personal laptop and it's really good-not quite iPad good, but fast and reliable.

Clearly the problem is what EK has done to it....

BobDole
22nd Oct 2016, 05:46
Surface or Surface pro? All surfaces are not created equally....

Eau de Boeing
22nd Oct 2016, 06:29
The problem is 2-fold, firstly by design in that we are using the Surface and not the Pro. This is a mobile phone processor and clearly not up to the job required.
Secondly is the VPN internet connection (at EK's insistence) that slows everything right down unless you are connected to a corporate network in which case it isn't then required.

The tablet tries to cycle, then because it's slow and the update doesn't work, crashes and can't be recovered.

Mr Good Cat
22nd Oct 2016, 11:36

You could just keep it simple and run LIDO's mPilot app on an iPad (robust and reliable), Boeing's iPad OPT for performance, Docunet for manuals, then add some simple apps for filing ASRs etc. Wouldn't cost much even if you had to pay an outsider to do the programming (no Apple guys in EGIT of course).

Can't see why security is an issue for charts and perf etc. So many other airlines getting by just fine on EFOS and equivalent systems.

Mr Good Cat
22nd Oct 2016, 11:38
I use a Surface as my personal laptop and it's really good-not quite iPad good, but fast and reliable.

Clearly the problem is what EK has done to it....
Or maybe EK just got a job load of Surface tablets from the same supplier of the chinese-made Wenger flight bags ;-)

Talparc
22nd Oct 2016, 18:13
Guys, I store my tablet in the Microwave when at home, so big brother has a problem spying on me.

Wizofoz
22nd Oct 2016, 21:10
Yeah- mines a surface pro- I think I see where the problem lies.....

fliion
26th Oct 2016, 09:56
Interesting convo with a guy in the know who says if the Co IT desires, the EPT can now effectively be a camera & mic in the flight deck even if, wait for it, the power is off but battery life remains.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Strategic scotch tape now applied

😟

donpizmeov
26th Oct 2016, 11:02
Apart from needing an Internet connection of some type to be remotely activated this is a good story.
It's just a tablet. Note as good as some, but better than nothing.

ruserious
26th Oct 2016, 11:48
@fliion no scotch tape required if left in cupboard where it belongs

fliion
26th Oct 2016, 11:56
Don - suspect you are correct re. it is what it is.

However wifi signal is all snooper software needs says he, which of course we have.

Ruserious: 👍🏻

nolimitholdem
27th Oct 2016, 06:48
Oh come now. Surely there is no reason to spy on anyone in the Happiest City on Earth or whatever they're pushing it as?

United Arab Emirates' government likely behind latest hacking attempt (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/95189517b5b24c66ad7b36447dd22001/activist-discovers-iphone-spyware-sparking-security-update)

A bit darkly amusing that the attack is strongly thought to be designed by an Israeli firm. I guess you'll get into bed with anyone when you want something bad enough.

Technical analysis for those so inclined:

Zero-Days Exploit used against UAE Human Rights Defender (https://citizenlab.org/2016/08/million-dollar-dissident-iphone-zero-day-nso-group-uae/)

Nope, not conspiracy theorist stuff. Was considered serious enough for Apple to through everything they had at it to patch the hole ASAP.

Just this past August.

alwayzinit
27th Oct 2016, 08:17
Naive probably, but how does it work that this "doorstop" is a required bit of kit as far as the company is concerned, yet we are responsible for it, even when there are no protective covers available to prevent every day wear and tear damage?
Also what is the deal should one NOT sign acceptance of said doorstop?:eek:

Airbuspilot72
27th Oct 2016, 11:24
All EPT have tracking software and can track individuals who use same wifi for EPT and for their personal devices. So if you are accessing portals such as pprune from your personal devices but through a comman wifi u will be tracked.

pilotguy1222
27th Oct 2016, 18:55
How do they do this?? I mean, vpn's are illegal in the UAE.

speedbirdhopeful1
27th Oct 2016, 19:19
All EPT have tracking software and can track individuals who use same wifi for EPT and for their personal devices. So if you are accessing portals such as pprune from your personal devices but through a comman wifi u will be tracked.

What a complete load of rubbish. Please show some proof. What's the application name? How does it run? So if I use the EPT in a hotel using the same wifi and public IP as 1000 other people they'll track us all? Please also tell me how EK would know the IP we are accessing prune with or does pprune also have a tracking device that sends that to EK?

As for the webcam in the flight deck, have you ever tried to connect in there? The signal is poor and even at best it's a slow satellite signal. Are you proposing all 4500 EPT's are uploading 14 hours of video via a satellite wifi connection to some enormous server where an army of individuals all watch us talk about girls and moan about rosters?

Come on guys, yes it's not as good as an iPad but we have bigger issues than this. Keep wearing the tin hats!

ExDubai
27th Oct 2016, 20:00
What a complete load of rubbish. Please show some proof. What's the application name? How does it run? So if I use the EPT in a hotel using the same wifi and public IP as 1000 other people they'll track us all? Please also tell me how EK would know the IP we are accessing prune with or does pprune also have a tracking device that sends that to EK?

As for the webcam in the flight deck, have you ever tried to connect in there? The signal is poor and even at best it's a slow satellite signal. Are you proposing all 4500 EPT's are uploading 14 hours of video via a satellite wifi connection to some enormous server where an army of individuals all watch us talk about girls and moan about rosters?

Come on guys, yes it's not as good as an iPad but we have bigger issues than this. Keep wearing the tin hats!
Don't expect an answer, Airbuspilot72 is not longer with us ;)

Would I use the EK Tablet for privat things like PPRUNE? Def. no, nobody knows what typ of data they store.

felixthecat
28th Oct 2016, 09:09
EK pilots go on PPrune??? Shocking indeed I would never have believed it....

fatbus
28th Oct 2016, 17:12
If you are that paranoid it's times to leave

TransitCheck
28th Oct 2016, 22:55
https://www.mspy.com
https://www.flexispy.com

If you can have these capabilities yourself for your kids or wifes phone, what makes you think they don't have programs with greater and more stealth capabilities?

lospilotos
29th Oct 2016, 02:14

I usually don't wear the tin foil hat but THIS is actually a valid concern. By allowing the EPT access to your home network it could in theory sniff the WiFi network for unsecured data, let's say passwords on websites not using https. It could try to hack passwords for your storage devices at home. Your before secure home network now became basically a public network and we all know we don't share sensitive personal data on unsecure public networks, like hotels do we??

I've set up a guest WiFi network at home, complete separate from my own, private one, that the EPT connects to.

Emirates, understandably, does not allow us to connect uncontrolled devices to their corporate network. Why should we allow them to connect to ours?