PDA

View Full Version : Engineering in Dubai/international

Coolaid
13th Jun 2016, 22:18
Hey everybody,

This is my first post on this site, I'm a Canadian apprentice (m1 AME, helicopters) but I'll be licensed in less than a month. I'm looking into exploring the international community, and I've heard good things about Dubai. If there's anybody that has had any experience with Abu Dhabi air or any other company I'd really appreciate the feedback.

As is I'm looking for a place that I can bring my wife and child and make some good coin without being in a dangerous place. So if you guys have any other suggestions besides Dubai I'd be glad to hear them too!

Thanks!

stacey_s
14th Jun 2016, 04:47
'Good Coin' comes with experience, Helicopter Companies here in the Middle East will not look at anyone with less 'Licensed' experience than 5-10 years, Highly recommend knuckle down gain that valuable experience for a few years then try the Middle East, most of the Companies, ADA, GULF Helicopters and Aerogulf etc. have all recently 'downsized' so Jobs are at a premium even for guys with lots of experience, plus get AW139 experience under your belt.

Good Luck

S

Coolaid
14th Jun 2016, 22:22
I understand good coin comes with experience but it's all relative. Making 140 to 200 a day in Canada is substantially lower than overseas that much I do know. Is it unheard of for newly licensed engineers to get accepted in the middle east? Seems like they would jump on the chance to mold a new guy to their standard at a lower rate than a fully qualified engineer

havick
15th Jun 2016, 00:35
I know of a 3-4 freshly minted mechanics/engineers have been hired at Heli Malongo in Africa in years gone by on the same rates as everyone else working there. Not sure if it's happened recently though.

Stacey_s, personally I've found working with some of the younger freshly licensed engineers have been far better than the crusty old guys that don't really want to work.

Hope this helps.

paco
15th Jun 2016, 04:51
Out there the only comany with such a lifestyle (i.e. non touring, for pilots at least) is Aerogulf - they are now at the new airport. They are a reasonable bunch - I see no harm in asking.

phil

stacey_s
15th Jun 2016, 05:05
Agreed Havick, I am now a 'crusty' old Engineer, But I still like to work, Unfortunately behind a desk these days, and yes I used to be a young fresh 'unlicensed ' engineer out on my own in the deserts of the Middle East and 'Bush' of Africa in the 70's, but I had experience before I went (5 years after finishing my apprenticeship), expecting to move to the Middle East with young wife and child with no experience won't happen, even if the young chap finds a willing employer it won't be 'Married Acommpanied' he will be touring either 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off, and the employer will (if he is deemed good enough) send him to operations in either Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Yemen (when it quietens down again) and of course now Iran, generaly you only get to sit in the 'Shiny Cities' when you have earnt it and are then in position of either running the Main Base, Heavy Maintenance, Tech Services etc. which all comes with 'experience'.
I too enjoy working with young enthusiastic engineers and give them some 'dubious' benefit of my 45+ years as a helicopter engineer, I certainly dont try to mold them into my ole 'Dinosaur' ways. I wish the guy all the best and hope he has a long enjoyable career in the industry.

S

Ainippe
15th Jun 2016, 05:47
Stacy,

from one old crusty engineer to another - well said !!:D

spinwing
15th Jun 2016, 06:49
Mmmmm ....

...... from one old crusty engineer to another - well said !! ....

What he said 'doubled' ......

:E

P.S. Stace congrats on daughters recent nuptials ... you did manage to chip off the 'crusts' for the occasion ... well done mate !!

havick
15th Jun 2016, 23:32
Stacey. Perhaps I come across as stereotyping against the older guys in the industry, it wasn't exactly my intent, of course there are great experienced guys still swinging spanners and I have worked with and still work with many.

My point is that a lot of people think that the most experienced guys are the 'go to' people, but it has not always been the case in my experience, in fact the opposite at times.

Another point people forget to take into account is where someone did their apprenticeship, for example say it was done at Eagle Copters doing nothing but strip and rebuilds, manufacturing, modifications etc. Or a company that is doing 3000 hourly's every year a fleet as well as supporting them in the field. The 'fresh' engineer may in fact be more experienced than someone in the field of 10-15+ years of looking after a tiny fleet doing annuals etc.

I don't mean to be all high and mighty, but I'm simply trying to press the point that don't simply judge a book by its' cover (yes I know, a little hypocritical of me based on my original post).

spinwing
16th Jun 2016, 02:13
Mmmm ...

havick .... me old darling ...

You must realise that you are trying to convince a chap who is the (crusty ?) Engineering Director of a very large maintenance organisation based in the middle east .. he knows and works with a (largish) varied multi national skilled workforce ... I would suggest to you that he might know better what the current 'state of play' is in the international industry at the moment.

Cheers

Coolaid
16th Jun 2016, 02:37
I appreciate the feed back from everybody, and i should have stated that I am going to be applying to multiple companies regardless of the information found here. I'm confident that if 1 in 100 guys accepted over there is a newly licensed engineer it'll be me. This gives me an idea of the hurdles I'll be jumping to get over there. Let's play the scenario of I get hired by a company running 139s: how does it usually work? Do we live in a compound? Is it daily shift work or am I gone a month at a time even if I move my family there? Would they perhaps send me on a type course? I know these could all be different at varying companies, I am just trying to get a more clear picture.

Thanks in advance!

stacey_s
16th Jun 2016, 10:27
1. you would only be hired after demonstrating that you hold a AW139 endorsed License, and or at least five years experience on AW139's, less experience would be accepted if proven experince on 'like' type machine, i.e multi engine, modern generation aircraft, Bell 212/412 etc dose not open the door anymore.
2. if you pass No1 - you would be touring 6:6
3. once you have done No2 for a few years and proven yourself you get to go to No4
4. Compound & Schooling provided, working shifts including weekends & public holidays (including Christmas etc.).
5. Type courses - see No 1

S

nowherespecial
16th Jun 2016, 11:29
I recently spoke to several outfits in Dubai and would offer only the following; once you get over the weather, Dubai isn't that amazing. Expats get ripped off for everything and you will not have the same freedoms you enjoy in Canada at the moment. It's not for everyone so be realistic about assessing your life now and compare accurately with what's on offer. Big money and big expenses is often the same as less money with lower expenses. That said it is a great way to make a killing if it all stacks up, just be eyes wide open.

And AW139..... :)

212man
16th Jun 2016, 13:19
I've heard good things about Dubai. If there's anybody that has had any experience with Abu Dhabi air

I assume that's not an inference that Abu Dhabi Aviation is in Dubai?

Coolaid
16th Jun 2016, 13:27
I assume that's not an inference that Abu Dhabi Aviation is in Dubai?
Yeah I'm more or less talking anywhere in the area, I only named dubai as an example because I know that's it's safe! Thank you Stacy that's good to know, we'll see if I can get on anyways, no harm in trying!

paco
16th Jun 2016, 13:28
It's true that you need something to do outside work in Dubai, but I found my nearly three years there to be a most pleasant experience. Much better than Red Deer :) or Wabasca.

phil

spinwing
20th Jun 2016, 01:04
Mmmmm ....

Well I first started working in Dubai back in 1980 ... it was a wonderful place then ... I have many fond memories of the place ... I recently finished a 4 yr stint there, with a fantastic 10 yr stint before that down at ADA [Abu Dhabi] ...and I have to say I have enjoyed it greatly ... but attitudes there have changed over time as has the money you can make and the costs of living only goes up.

In my opinion those glory days are over ... it is now very much a 'HONG KONG' in the sand ... and yes my views may be biased because of my memories of what it was.

For a 'new chum' going therefor the first time it might be new and exciting, keep in mind you will very much be a 'resource' to be used and exploited .. keep an open mind, keep smiling and don't think your going to change anything .. good luck.

Alas my 'glory days' are also over as my age now prohibits my holding a license there ... but DAMN it was good whilst it lasted !!! :D

stacey_s
20th Jun 2016, 04:48
Hi Spinwing, too true, I started in Doha 77' for a quick stint-hated it, short stint in Nigeria-loved it, went to Dubai 78-80-loved it then went back to the 'Sand pit' in 2000 after many years away-Abu Dhabi 9 years-loved it, now Doha again for the last seven years-love/hate relationship, but love it really, Dubai now?-hate it, but lots of friends there that make me drive down every now and again through Saudi-good fun.

S