PDA

View Full Version : A340 Pilots

GreGoRy
28th Jun 2002, 19:24
Hello,

I'm quite new to this forum and I was just wondering if there are any Airbus A340 pilots out there?

Need some advice for flying them.

Thanks

wonderbusdriver
28th Jun 2002, 20:33
Since youīre from ZW... maybe I can help, if 6 yrs A340 is enough.

GreGoRy
28th Jun 2002, 21:25
Thanks wonderbusdriver,

I'd appreciate it.

jaguar340
29th Jun 2002, 11:23
Maybe I can help, 2yrs on A340 and 6yrs on A320 :D

wonderbusdriver
1st Jul 2002, 17:57
Havenīt checked for some time.(Sorry!)

What seems to be the question/problem??

GreGoRy
3rd Jul 2002, 15:33
First of all, I'd love to know how it feels flying the airbus from a pilot's perspective, because I'm looking at persueing a career in aviation, I would love to fly an A380 when they are delivered or an A340 when I leave school in 2 years. I'm currently flying with my flight simulator 2002 Pro Edit. I fly the A340, that I downloaded, a lot. I was just wondering how to land it in a heavy crosswind? And I also would like to know the speeds for approach with the different flap settings, could you also tell me the v speeds.

Thanks
Greg

wonderbusdriver
3rd Jul 2002, 17:27
Hello again.

I liked flying it very much - especially with the stick.
Some pilots donīt like the airbus philosophy...

Regarding more info try

http://www.a340.net/

Youīll probably like it.
Check out the video footage heīs taken while flying with dad (who is a really cool guy btw...)

Regarding a career in flying - check the wannabees section.

p.s.: I hope you folks get ZW back on track- Itīs terrible to see such a beautiful country with such nice people being wasted by a few.

GreGoRy
7th Jul 2002, 17:10
Thanks wonderbusdriver,

I've been to that site quite a lot before and I've downloaded every landing video from the flight deck and one taking off. The reason was when I heard about the new A340-600 that they are creating for flight sim 2002, it looks bloody great! Which A340 do you fly? For which airline? Just wondering.

Greg

P.S. Sorry about the long time to reply but I was having problems with posting.

wonderbusdriver
7th Jul 2002, 21:57
I donīt fly it anymore... (because now Iīm LHS of the next best albeit older type)

Same company as the cpt in the videos.
Actually flew with the guy once - heīs a training captain, but he lives and works (at least he used to work for Airbus) in TLS most of the time.

As for the x-wind technique on the fbw-busses, it differs from other aircraft, since you cannot fly crossed controls during the approach:

Keep the crab into the wind until ca. 50ft (and it starts to call you a "retard") and wings level.
In the flare smoothly pull it straight with the rudder, while possibly giving a little stick input into the wind if the wing starts to come up.
If you land with a slight crab, pull it straight before the nose wheel finally comes down.
Use the stick only to keep the wing from coming up, since youīre only using the upwind spoilers and thus creating drag and yaw into the wind again!

GreGoRy
8th Jul 2002, 15:51
Thanks wonderbusdriver,

I'll try that. What do you think of the A340-600?

Greg

wonderbusdriver
8th Jul 2002, 22:19
A340-600?...

Up front it will feel the same probably - at least itīs designed that way.
Otherwise it looks pretty damn "long", but the control laws are supposed to prevent tailstrikes.

I might be able to tell you when/if Iīve flown it in a few years time.

Off on a nice trip now and then Iīll enjoy the summer vacation.
Cheers.

GreGoRy
9th Jul 2002, 18:30
Enjoy your summer holiday!

Thanks for all your help.

Greg