View Full Version : Interview with Rick Peacock-Edwards on the Tornado F2/F3

mmitch
12th Jun 2016, 17:53
This video has been put on You tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWy32JB_pB8
mmitch.

Fishtailed
12th Jun 2016, 23:19
Good for him, enjoied the video, thanks for shareing.

Roly
13th Jun 2016, 07:57
P-E flew a very cool synchro display with a BBMF Spit in his F2. No small achievement, given the F2's wobbly reheat system. Impressive to watch him in form with the Spit as the F2 was in 67 wg.

Lima Juliet
13th Jun 2016, 23:01
It's a 27mm Mauser - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_BK-27 - not an Oerlikon!

Apart from that very good recollection from RPE. He's always been a top chap. Not so sure about the interviewer's questioning technique, though - lot's of 'yes/no' questions. Also they had left a paper coffee cup in shot for the first bit.

It is great to see stuff like this being recorded for years to come. I heard today of a project that RAFA are doing to digitally record veteran RAF members in order to feed the National Archives.

LJ

Basil
14th Jun 2016, 22:59
mmitch, Thank you for that; so good that even my wife watched the first half and I'm sure she'll watch the rest! We were recently sitting across the dinner table from R P-E and I recollect him mentioning the LL speed of the F3.

Another plus was the lead to an interview with Phil Keeble. We were at South Cerney together; great to see that he had such a successful career.

Brian 48nav
15th Jun 2016, 08:56
That was the first sighting I've ever had of Phil Keeble since our South Cerney course - poor sod was there for 25 weeks.

I particularly recall him as we found we had both been police cadets based 5 miles apart, him in Aldershot Hants and me in Camberley Surrey. A great guy IIRC!

Basil
15th Jun 2016, 12:55
poor sod was there for 25 weeks
Great example of dogged determination taking him to the PR9 and Hunter :cool:
There isn't an emoticon for envy!

Roly
15th Jun 2016, 14:40
Great guy Phil, deserving of his own thread. Anyone recall his demo single engine overshoot in an F3 using Max Dry rather than burner? Parts of Coningsberg subsequently seen in great closeup!

Aircrewinterview
15th Jun 2016, 15:30
He is a great bloke and it was a pleasure interviewing him. He has some great stories!

taxydual
15th Jun 2016, 18:45
Hmmm... RP-E has obviously enjoyed the odd Corporate Lunch or 10. But.....what the hell. Nice to see my old boss.

skua
16th Jun 2016, 07:41
...and dinners! :-)

hulahoop7
17th Jun 2016, 16:08
Makes you think .. how good an F3 with the EJ200? Was it ever fitted for testing?

Rhino power
17th Jun 2016, 22:33
...F3 with the EJ200? Was it ever fitted for testing?

No.

-RP

Buster15
28th Jun 2016, 11:48
No it was not, although EJ200 was designed to have the same mounting points as RB199. However, uprated versions of RB199 were looked at, ranging from fittment of the bigger Fan (LP Compressor) as used on German ECR as well as thrust increases of typically 15%. The prime reason there were not progresses were the effect on F3 fatigue index (FI) consumption as well as the clear fact that all the money was being allocated toward Typhoon. the reverse of course did occur and the initial devopment Eurofighters were powered (very successfully) by RB199, as was EAP.

Lima Juliet
28th Jun 2016, 17:52
Surely fitting EJ200 would have REDUCED fatigue index (FI) as with the high bypass RB199s at medium to high level then you would need to constantly unload, accelerate and then start pulling again or you would run out of energy? Having something with a bit more SEP would allow for a single pull of G - thus only 1 count of FI...

LJ

Basil
29th Jun 2016, 10:00
constantly unload, accelerate and then start pulling again
Genuine Q: Couldn't you just pull less g? (As in max rate turn cf max poss rate turn)

RockwellB1
30th Jun 2016, 15:08
Great guy Phil, deserving of his own thread. Anyone recall his demo single engine overshoot in an F3 using Max Dry rather than burner? Parts of Coningsberg subsequently seen in great closeup!
That story of the dry power single engine overshoot, along with many others, has just been sent to the publishers Fonthill Media . It should appear in print next year.

RockwellB1
30th Jun 2016, 15:15
That story of the single engine, dry power overshoot, along with many other hairy tales, has just been sent to my publishers. The book should appear in print next year (2017).

Basil
11th Jan 2018, 18:28
That was the first sighting I've ever had of Phil Keeble since our South Cerney course - poor sod was there for 25 weeks.

I particularly recall him as we found we had both been police cadets based 5 miles apart, him in Aldershot Hants and me in Camberley Surrey. A great guy IIRC!
Was he recoursed on to, as you reminded me when I last forgot my name, 217?
He's written a book about his career:
'Patrolling the Cold War Skies'
ISBN 978-1-78155-596-5
Had a look at an online taster HERE. (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3hcpDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT76&lpg=PT76&dq=1965+RAF+Direct+Entry+commission+A&source=bl&ots=whlkNSx-6Z&sig=7E0zLrYqG2q8NFNPdkXnDCLamiU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjC2KmBuNDYAhVEbVAKHcNdDl4Q6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q&f=false)

charliegolf
11th Jan 2018, 19:49
Was RP-E ever a Ppruner?

CG

Marty33
12th Jan 2018, 00:35
Very interesting. Quite a career.