PDA

View Full Version : Air cadet Slingsby glider needed for display at Pre-War Prescott

G-ANHG
10th Jun 2016, 16:11
I was going to post this appeal on the ATC grounded thread, but thought it might get buried. I'm ex-ATC (1960's) and then went on the join the RAF as an Engineering Officer, and a later VR Civilian Instructor, so I am 1,000% behind any effort to support/preserve/resurrect gliding for the Air Cadets.

Briefly, I now live and work in Seattle for Boeing (777X) but come over to England every July to run Pre-War Prescott, a large vintage car speed hillclimb event in the Cotswolds that I founded in 2011. I use the event to raise funds for the RAF Charitable Trust, much of which goes to support the Air Cadets. This year (Saturday 16th July), we're celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the Air Cadets, with 8 regional Squadrons involved. The ATC is working to have one of their VGS gliders there, and also their recruitment vehicle with glider simulator and other displays supporting the Anniversary.

This appeal is specifically for anyone who has, or knows anyone with a Slingsby T.21 or T. 31 in Air Cadet markings, who would be prepared to bring it to Prescott and rig it beside the modern equivalent in the paddock. Or even a primary glider? We're wide open to suggestions and offers.

Every year, the Cadets join us to support the event. I do NOT use them for car parking or similar duties, but rather get them rides up the hill in suitably fast and furious vintage sports and racing cars. The looks on their faces when they return to the paddock is all the reward I need.

The event details can be found Pre-War Prescott ? (http://www.prewarprescott.com).

Even if you can't help with a glider, do come along and support the Cadets - they have never needed us more. We have 200 vintage cars, 25 vintage aircraft, the BBMF Lancaster and much more. And YOU can thumb a ride up the hill too!

Incidentally, if there are any other Cadets or their parents from farther afield who read this, I'd like to offer them FREE family entry to the event. E-mail me at vintageminor-at-gmail.com and will sort your tickets.

Thanks,

Ian Grace (Flt. Lt. ret'd.)

JW411
10th Jun 2016, 16:29
Try sending a PM to WE992.

G-ANHG
10th Jun 2016, 16:36
Done. Thanks.

Ian

Nige321
10th Jun 2016, 17:01
Not quite the right markings, but Halfpenny Green Air Scouts own this one...
It's not that far up the road...

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/000/306/306638.jpg

G-ANHG
10th Jun 2016, 17:56
Nige,

That's a great steer. Thanks, I will follow up.

WE992
10th Jun 2016, 18:11
Noted and PM Sent.

G-ANHG
10th Jun 2016, 19:10
And responded to. Most grateful.

camelspyyder
10th Jun 2016, 23:26
I know it's a long time back, but I seem to recall from my ATC time that the Corps dated from 1941.

I hope I can attend the event though. It sounds right up my street, and I will be in the UK between dets too.

Nige321
11th Jun 2016, 09:50
G-ANHG - You have a PM...

snapper1
11th Jun 2016, 14:08
Have you tried -
VGC (http://www.vintagegliderclub.org/) ?

G-ANHG
11th Jun 2016, 17:55
Think I have this sorted now. Plans are formulating for 621 VGS to bring a Viking, and Al at the 621 VGS Historic Flight is co-ordinating to bring one of his machines - probably the T. 21, conveniently from the same location. Should make a good pairing, and quite a sight in the Prescott Paddock.

Anyone got a primary glider to complete the scene?

(T. 21 memory. When I was about 14 in the ATC (1968ish) our ATC squadron and another took two T. 21's to Wembley in support of the Schoolboy International. We drove the two trailers onto the pitch at half time and had a race to see who could rig a glider fastest. Then we did the reverse and raced to de-rig and get off the pitch.)

POBJOY
11th Jun 2016, 17:59
There used to be two MK3 hanging up in the hangar at Eaglescott AF
One Barry Pearson would be the contact.
In later two tone scheme as opposed to silver/dayglo or the classic silver /yellow of training command.

Wander00
11th Jun 2016, 18:34
A Primary - that would be good - had one at school until VR(T) OC of CCF RAF Section and former Spitfire pilot wrecked it!

tmmorris
11th Jun 2016, 19:26
I think there's an airworthy Primary at Henlow in the back of the club hangar...