PDA

View Full Version : X-FACTOR

Mightycrewseven
2nd Jun 2016, 15:13
No, not that awful TV programme but our additional 14.5% pay supplement for the hardship that serving in the Forces brings.

My little payslip arrived in the mail today (noting that it now arrives after the Pay Month has passed rather than during the Pay Month it refers to :rolleyes:) and tucked away in the Payroll Information box in the bottom left hand corner (the one that always used to remind you about the wonderful AIP system) it now breaks my salary down into the Core Salary, any supplement rate and then the 14.5% X-Factor amount. I'm certain this a new way of displaying how much Mrs Mighty expects me to hand over to her on an annual basis so I can't help wondering why this change of approach :hmm::hmm:

Could it be the MOD lining up a future change in where we might expect to see an annual payrise (the pitiful 1%) applied to - i.e just the Core Salary element???

Maybe not, but I just can't help feeling cynical :ouch:

MSOCS
2nd Jun 2016, 16:18
If the 1% inflation pay-rise is applied before the 14.5% X-factor or after, it doesn't matter. Unless the 14.5% is calculated before the 1% is applied, and then that number is added after the 1% pay rise.......which is just plain wrong.

Perhaps you're seeing shadows that simply aren't there?

downsizer
2nd Jun 2016, 18:39
You should be more concerned about the Pay Colonels intentions to reduce and or remove X factor entirely as a means of reducing the military wage bill. Their thoughts are that you are compensated enough for "military hassle" by other allowances such as OA and LSA.

I **** you not.

MSOCS
2nd Jun 2016, 19:57
downsizer,

This is a fact or rumour? First hand?

Regards

Ken Scott
2nd Jun 2016, 23:09
A potential pay cut all round of up to 14.5%? That should be retention positive! As ever it would be those most needed who would walk. I sincerely hope it's just unsubstantiated rumour.....

downsizer
3rd Jun 2016, 06:52
It's true sadly.

There is pressure to reduce the wage and pension bill even after NEM. The options range from the slightly less palatable choice of making X factor non pensionable, a sliding reduction due to other allowances, and an outright removal due to other allowances. There is talk of making it a sliding scale, paid either at a greater rate in the early part of a career (as the perception is you go away and get messed around more at the start of a career) or conversely you get none at the start and more at the end (when getting messed around might drive you out the door).

Small fly in the ointment is X factor is determined by the AFPRB, not the sS pay colonels. However that problem wouldn't be difficult to fix should they wish.

However, surely, the point is a 10-15% pay cut would be too far for anyone serving now wouldn't it? New entrants only perhaps?

MSOCS
3rd Jun 2016, 08:42
Well, I think the 5 years of real-terms pay cut, due to the recession and < inflation pay increase limit per annum, has taken its toll on some folks in general. We have a government saying we're the best performing economy in the region. ToS have been changed, the pension goal-posts moved further away, allowances have been cut/eroded, and we have a recruitment issue in some key roles.

Pay peanuts, expect monkeys. The rest will walk, I'm sure. More through perception of not being valued.

alfred_the_great
3rd Jun 2016, 09:13
It's true sadly.

There is pressure to reduce the wage and pension bill even after NEM. The options range from the slightly less palatable choice of making X factor non pensionable, a sliding reduction due to other allowances, and an outright removal due to other allowances. There is talk of making it a sliding scale, paid either at a greater rate in the early part of a career (as the perception is you go away and get messed around more at the start of a career) or conversely you get none at the start and more at the end (when getting messed around might drive you out the door).

Small fly in the ointment is X factor is determined by the AFPRB, not the sS pay colonels. However that problem wouldn't be difficult to fix should they wish.

However, surely, the point is a 10-15% pay cut would be too far for anyone serving now wouldn't it? New entrants only perhaps?
Having spoken to a sS Pay Colonel about this - noting it was over a beer, and pre-SDR - I think this was part of a work stream tied to NEM that has (probably) died a death. The intention was to tie pay to type of work. You are a volunteer for short notice OpTours, take the 'hard jobs' that require buggering around, remain on the Command/Executive track: get paid everything, including full X-Factor. On the other hand, if you're in a stable 8-4 Mon - Fri Office job, stability guaranteed for 4+ years, not available for Op Tours etc, then why are we paying you X Factor?

To the best of my knowledge, this idea died a death because the Career Managers screamed about "lack of flexibility"/having to do their job. There was also concerns that too many people would opt for option B and not option A...

downsizer
3rd Jun 2016, 10:18
ATG

My info is more recent and the work is still ongoing. I don't think the three services can yet agree a way forward, so whilst your source may not support, that isn't perhaps the view of the other services?

alfred_the_great
3rd Jun 2016, 21:21
ATG

My info is more recent and the work is still ongoing. I don't think the three services can yet agree a way forward, so whilst your source may not support, that isn't perhaps the view of the other services?
Quite probably. The RN is pushing back hard - mainly because our Career Management process(es) simply can't cope with that kind of flexibility. We have zero capacity not to deploy/send to sea nearly everyone. The people doing the cushty 8-4 jobs are either on FTRS or on their minimum time ashore, and are heading back to sea sharpish.

The Army - specifically the vast swathes in the "regional brigades" - on the other hand...