PDA

View Full Version : Tri-stars on the move?

hunty
27th May 2016, 19:43
I was visiting Bruntingthorpe on Thursday and we were displaying close to where the Tri-stars were parked and so I had a word with the guys who were pressure washing the jets. They informed me that two jets were going to be broken up for parts and the rest were due to fly out in the next few weeks.

Is this 100% true? Only time will tell. :E

Gsxr600
28th May 2016, 08:36
Makes sense. They cant be stored outdoors in a British climate indefinitely so they either fly again soon or get broken up. The US company that bought them last year must have been paying for storage and anti-det runs. Suppose it makes sense that they will break up two for spares, I always though a fleet of six was ambitious. Omega tanker has never expanded beyond three aircraft so this new outfit I doubt can find work for 6. Should keep the cost of operation down have a plentiful supply of parts.

Last chance to see them tomorrow.

NutLoose
28th May 2016, 12:24
Surprised they are breaking them here, sense would be to do them at where ever the others will be based, one would imagine the demand has reduced now Afghanistan etc has wound down.

Gsxr600
28th May 2016, 17:00
I guess they need a bit of work to make them airworthy and suitable for the civil register so too costly to fly them all out.

Despite being low houred they are the only opetational Tristars in the world which I can only imagine makes their operating costs high. Likely a big factor the RAF didnt keep them any longer.

My guess is the ones with the big cargo doors will be the flyers. They are the lowest hours frames too I think.