PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on First Heli

carlmeek
26th May 2016, 19:11
I would really appreciate any words of advice on getting me started on my first helicopter.

My budget is about 150k GBP outright. I'd rather spend less than that and keep some spare cash for things that might go wrong.

I've got 10 hours on an Enstrom 480B, and loved it.

I'm really not a fan of Robinsons.

I will use it to gain my LAPL(H), so fly probably 50-60 hours in year one, then perhaps 30 hours year two.

I don't want to lease it back to anyone.

It will be based at my home - middle of nowhere, plenty of space to land. I'm going to put a hangar up shortly.

3 seats would be wonderful - for my wife (45kgs) and young son.

I'm thinking that the most obvious choice is one of the 28/280 Enstroms - perhaps the 280FX. however, can't see any for sale at the moment.

Thoughts appreciated :)

Ian Corrigible
26th May 2016, 19:19
FWIW, Controller (http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/category/5/piston-helicopters/manufacturer/enstrom) currently lists a UK-based 1986 280FX for GBP £90,000.

I/C

carlmeek
26th May 2016, 19:35
I've been trying to contact that advert for 3 days - no replies.

muffin
26th May 2016, 19:52
Where in the UK are you? There are not many Enstrom maintainers/instructors/examiners about these days so you may have difficulty with support .

carlmeek
26th May 2016, 20:00
I'm in Sussex, half hour from Shoreham where eastern Atlantic helicopters are based.

-C

FLY 7
26th May 2016, 20:40
...and Tim Price.

Oh, and a nice webcam at Shoreham - or is it now Brighton? Shame it doesn't show the Heli training area

Webcam ? Brighton City Airport (Shoreham) (http://www.flybrighton.com/webcam)

jeepys
26th May 2016, 20:42
Whilst you can buy a 3 seat helicopter it's not easy getting three people in it and having the power to get past the end of your garden. Enstroms, Schweizer 300's are great but space is limited and so will be power to carry 3 people especially on a hot day. Unfortunately 150k is not a great deal of money when talking helicopters.
Forget the 3 place idea and plan on a heli just for two. If you don't like Robbo's then it's one of the above.

krypton_john
26th May 2016, 21:18
Carl's two pax weight combined is about the same as one standard adult so he's got no worries with weight on a 280FX with full fuel. Turbo engine not bad on a hot day should he ever see one.

As long as he doesn't need a lot of bags or to get anywhere faster than 100kt it's just got to be the best option - safe and easy to fly being at the top of the list and some high quality expertise not too far away.

muffin
27th May 2016, 06:54
You are in the right area then. My first ever trial rotary lesson was in an Enstrom at Shoreham about 35 years ago.

nigelh
27th May 2016, 08:10
Go and speak to Simon or Jamie at Eastern Atlantic ... They are best people re MD and Enstrom . If they can't find the right machine for you at right price nobody can !!

stiarno
27th May 2016, 12:23
Tim Price did have one for sale recently, from memory a 280C, might be worth a call?