PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon blows both tyres on take-off run...

Rhino power
23rd May 2016, 21:29
This is why you shouldn't fit re-treads...

Joking apart, I guess this could've been much nastier had the wheel hubs let go too! Certainly an unusual one...
Jet was ZJ914.

https://youtu.be/sx-ifSm2UJo

-RP

the_flying_cop
23rd May 2016, 21:35
to my untrained eye it looks like the brakes jammed on. just prior to deflation, it appears the nose drops slightly which would tie in with application of brakes. the fact that the tyres are then ripped from the hubs makes me think that the brakes were seized on. i am not aware if the typhoon has anti skid, but thats what my thoughts are. good video, and no great harm done.

megan
24th May 2016, 00:38
There seems to be a rear stick input a nanosecond prior to the application of both brakes.

NutLoose
24th May 2016, 00:57
It reminds me of the F-4 that had the tyres charged with Oxygen instead of Nitrogen.

H Peacock
24th May 2016, 08:05
There seems to be a rear stick input a nanosecond prior to the application of both brakes.

I suspect that 'control input' is the FCS reacting almost instantaneously to the pitch-down caused by the application of the wheel brakes. It certainly looks as though the wheels brakes (or parking brake) have for some reason been fully applied during the take-off run.

EAP86
24th May 2016, 10:09
There does appear to be a small rudder deflection before the brake lock-up.

EAP

Kitbag
24th May 2016, 16:30
I think any small deflections of control surfaces you see on a modern fly by wire ac will be almost certainly the computers keeping the ac going where the pilot wants it to, not that the pilot has made an input.

Roly
24th May 2016, 18:42
Remember the demo short landing in the Tonka, where lift dump and thrust reverse were pre-armed and wheel-brakes were full on prior to touchdown, being assured that the touchdown protection circuit would hold off the brakes until after landing......

Cows getting bigger
24th May 2016, 19:03
Had a similiar event myself during landing, both brakes failed to On during the touchdown and roll out leaving to molten masses of magnesium on the runway.

"Sticky pedals, sir?" :)

Lima Juliet
24th May 2016, 20:43
Sticky parking brake, Sir? :p

That's what I thought. I saw a similar scene with a F3 trying to get airborne in the other direction on the same runway in the mid-90s - nasty grooves down the runway. Having just been re-surfaced it was a good job the nose-gunner involved was a somewhat senior individual! :ok:

LJ

NoHoverstop
24th May 2016, 22:08
Sticky parking brake, Sir?

Possibly, but does it matter? (compare #1 with #2 in the pair from 0:22)
https://youtu.be/qFavtMOXrOE

Octane
25th May 2016, 03:38
I'm a little surprised a fire truck wasn't sent out as a precaution?

camlobe
25th May 2016, 07:02
Leon J,
If memory serves me correctly, that would be "the singer" with the Nav screaming 'BRAKES, BRAKES' to no avail. Not that long after, he almost dropped a Hurricane on Woodhall Spa when he forgot to change tanks.

camlobe

bcgallacher
25th May 2016, 07:34
I would think that the simplest explanation for this would be incorrect tyre pressure - soft tyres overheat rapidly. Brake application would put flats on the tyres,unlikely to throw the treads.