PDA

View Full Version : invest in an IR?

Sandblaster232
18th May 2016, 14:02
Good afternoon everyone

Could someone help shed some light on the matter below? I would appreciate it immensely.

I am a little hesitant in making a decision whether to complete my fixed wing comm and then convert to heli comm (for the purpose of the cost saving to complete my instrument rating for helicopters) or should I just complete the helicopter comm license and worry about doing an IR in the (distant?) future?

How much of an advantage does it pose having a heli pilot with 200+ hrs and an IR?

Of course I see the added benefit of doing fixed wing comm first as this gets you a comm ticket on fixed wing which could be used as a backup should the heli industry go down the tubes.But I do not see myself greatly enjoying the fixed wing flying,unless of course I am piloting a 321 :E

Long winded I know but any advice would be truly appreciated.
Regards,
S

RyRy
18th May 2016, 14:50
"Of course I see the added benefit of doing fixed wing comm first as this gets you a comm ticket on fixed wing which could be used as a backup should the heli industry go down the tubes."

There is no "should" about it. The heli industry already went down the crapper.... and the flush hasn't stopped yet.

whoknows idont
18th May 2016, 15:26
How much of an advantage does it pose having a heli pilot with 200+ hrs and an IR?

Currently none whatsoever.

FC80
19th May 2016, 10:57
For what it's worth, I'd say you are completely wasting your money at this stage, in the offshore business at least - I can't speak for onshore.

Close to hundreds have been laid off or taken voluntary redundancy and are currently unable to find jobs, even with the benefit of experience in the role. When (if?!) the industry picks up again, they will be the first ones to get their jobs back.

Sandblaster232
19th May 2016, 12:03
Thanks for the advice guys..
So from what it sounds like,the heli industry isn't even worth getting into at this stage? Apart from game work,which is booming here in RSA from what I hear..

AV83R
19th May 2016, 12:22
Don't bother. I did mine last year stupidly, the best plan in my opinion is to use that money for an FI course, whether it be EASA or go over to America. There still seems to be openings, despite sporadic, for low timer FI's.

AK355
19th May 2016, 13:51
If you look at the overall recurring internet aviation job ads out there, there are dozens of them in the US for aeromedical helicopter pilots, and literally hundreds of them for airline pilots primarily in fast developing countries throughout the world - and that's just about it!

If you want to fly a helicopter, perhaps go the US EMS route if you have an in to the US, or perhaps go airliner then you'll eventually be able to afford your own helicopter to fly around - unlike us seasoned helicopter pilots who have barely two cents to rub together because we've buzzed around the weeds for years and really enjoyed our flying, but never quite had enough money to invest in our future, so we keep on flying because we can't afford to retire, which means there's less jobs out there, then new pilots offer to fly to free or pitifully low wages to gain experience, and the whole industry continues to go down the pan as far as wages and pilot jobs go!

Either way, good luck, and go with your gut feeling. Go where you want to go. There'll be opportunities somewhere in the world if you want it bad enough. Wife and two kids at home and you can't be nomadic, don't even bother. Get into IT, develop apps, make your fortune, then go buy a helicopter...

switch_on_lofty
19th May 2016, 15:30
Most (if not all) EMS jobs seem to require >1500 TT and usually >1000 PIC, + a IR and TR.

garly1
19th May 2016, 22:19
If you're in RSA spend the money on a game rating and some 44 time then go knocking on doors to get into the game industry, good hours, demanding flying and you even get paid.

ROTORVATION
20th May 2016, 05:12
Hi there,

Please contact me with regards to some pertinent information regarding the IR.

Cheers