PDA

View Full Version : Harbour Air (Victoria/Vancouver)

flch10000
27th Jun 2002, 16:02
My TT 900 hours, FAA CPL/IR,
B737 Type-Rating from FSI.
Canadian/British Dual Nationality.

Willing to do Float and Twotter ratings.

1) What is the validity of FAA licences in Canada?

2) What are Harbour Air requirements for the RHS? (other than a float endorsement :):)

I recall another operator as well, same route, same planes (Twotter)... same info required for them!

thanks

Panama Jack
29th Jun 2002, 03:17
Your FAA license is not valid for flying in Canada, just like a Canadian license is not valid in the US. You need to go through the conversion process. If RHS means right hand seat, Harbour Air operates only single engine sea planes on a single pilot basis. Kenn Borek does the wet-lease work (DHC-6) for Harbour Air, a Calgary based company which sometime does hire low time float pilots for the right seat. Since living and working in Vancouver is more attractive to most than living in northern Manitoba, Harbour Air tends to get applications from experienced seaplane pilots. I recommend you look elsewhere. When you do go looking for a seaplane job, I would leave mention of the Boeing 737 type rating off the resume.

There is also West Coast Air (DHC-8's), I am uncertain on what their quals are for the right seat.

My TT 900 hours, FAA CPL/IR,
B737 Type-Rating from FSI.
Canadian/British Dual Nationality.

Willing to do Float and Twotter ratings.

1) What is the validity of FAA licences in Canada?

2) What are Harbour Air requirements for the RHS? (other than a float endorsement

I recall another operator as well, same route, same planes (Twotter)... same info required for them!

thanks

flch10000
29th Jun 2002, 13:30
Yes, West Coast is the other operator I recall now.

Actually they both operate multi-crew on the DHC-6 (Twin Otter), as I have flown as a passenger on both carriers Victoria/Vancouver as I used to live in Victoria.

I agree though with not mentioning the 73 rating, however I think a lot of their work is seasonal, thus they might not expect many to make a career with them (and lets face it most of the guys want to move to Air Canada etc).

But when in doubt leave off for sure :)

Thanks for your input - appreciated

Panama Jack
3rd Jul 2002, 22:46
The thing about the 737 type rating is that although most pilots will move on to bigger, better paid, etc., (and most chief pilots realize that) there are those that are either worried that your heart & mind may not be in the job at hand or that you will turn out to be some kind of a prima donna, some have moral issues (they may think you bought your type rating-- unless they give you a chance to interview you may not have the chance to defend yourself before your resume goes into the cilindrical file), and others are just plain jealous and have sour grapes that they were never able to make it to wearing the maple leaf on their hat and flying jets. Hiring is still heavy on human emotions.

Shenlin
8th Jul 2002, 03:43
West coast Air had a few incidents lately so their insurance requirements went up pretty high
1000 total time 500 multi 500 floats . i worked there for almost 2 years . There are a lot of better companies out there . they usually either hire local guys( such a hight turn around they figure local guys will stick around ) or guys with ppc out of the maldives .Getting that first float job is tought because of the insurance reuirements . probably better off to get a wheel job ...

flch10000
13th Jul 2002, 15:01
thanks anyhow guys appreciated - floats is out then!