PDA

View Full Version : historical German ATC traffic

crashedandburned
27th Jun 2002, 14:09
Dear Chaps (and chap-ettes),

I'm a struggling screentwriter looking for your help. I am writing a screenplay about the son of a USAF pilot stationed in USAFE Rhein-Main in the 1960's.

A helicopter pilot chum of mine who will remain nameless (thanks Andy!) suggested this website as a good place to start researching.

Unlike some films, which I imagine make you lot cringe and spill valuable beer, I would like to write the the film as accurately as possible. I want to get my facts straight and make pilots watching the film believe the action and dialogue.

Therefore I need the following, historically correct, information;

1. The possible aicraft call-signs/numberings.

2. What would be a typical and authentic exchange of dialogue between pilot and Air Traffic Controller when a F100 jet comes onto approach, finals, lands and taxis to a halt.

Please bear in mind that I am not [yet] a pilot myself - I'm looking to make a believable dialogue in a film. If you spot any fatal flaws in my questioning, please let me know where I'm going wrong!

Many thanks in advance, folks. Beer and premier tickets are the only enticements I can offer you nice people at the moment!

cheers,

James
Tel: 07092 21 51 50

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Jun 2002, 14:43
Well the first and most obvious thing would be NOT to use professional actors. Be truthful - have you ever seen a film where the actors behave exactly as normal people do in real life? Films attempting to depict aircrew and controllers never work and knowing the phraseology won't help if the bloke delivering it is trying to pretend he's in Hamlet!!

Check 6
27th Jun 2002, 18:38
IMHO, you can use actors, but it is absolutely necessary to have "technical advisors" who are experts in their field, i.e. former USAF pilots, etc. These advisors will attempt to maintain the accuracy and credibility of the final product.

:D :D :D

ATC Watcher
27th Jun 2002, 21:18
To start with try to get your facts correct. In my recollection Rhein-Main ( EDAF, located on the other side of Frankfurt Airport) never received F100s. They were restricted to Transport aircraft until the field closed a few years ago.
In the 1960's in EDAF you had DC3 s, DC4s and Globemasters .
The USAF F100 were probably stationed in Spangdalhem, Bitburg possibly Bremgarten, not in Rhein -Main.
All Approaches at that time were either visual ( over the field 2000 Feet on the runway axis , then break begin, middle or end runway , depending on traffic, to join downwind ) or GCA, and they are not so many guys around that still know the old US R/T that goes with it.
If my memory serves me well , the late F100 models ( at least the ones the French Air Force used in late 6os ) had to use braking tail parachute on landing. Special associated R/T to clear the chute from runway also existed at the time.
Anyway good subject to research .
Good luck !

Scott Voigt
27th Jun 2002, 21:27
Hey watch that crack about age <G>. I still remember my GCA lingo....

Check 6
28th Jun 2002, 06:07
Some more accuracy checks:

The USAF side of Rhein Main AB is still open. The rumours of its death are greatly exaggerated.

The US military is still conducting GCA (PAR) approaches in Europe and elsewhere, including nearby Ramstein AB.

Cheers, :D :D :D

GroundBound
28th Jun 2002, 12:29
Right on, Scott! Once you've done it, it never goes away :D

Recently, on some instrument flying, and while I was trying to follow the needles on the ILS, my brain was saying "slightly left of centrleine, turn right 5 degrees, slightly low, 4 miles from touchdown ... "

GB

Ahh-40612
28th Jun 2002, 16:56
Refreshing to hear someone researching prior to movie-making!

Whilst no fighter aircraft were based at Rhein-Main, it was home to various special versions of the Martin B-57 ( US built English Electric Canberra) from the late 50' to late 60's.
These were involved in clandestine operations with the official line being the usual 'Weather Reconnaissance' flights.

That would make a good film!

Scott Voigt
28th Jun 2002, 21:43
Crashed and Burned;

You might want to give an account of what the aircraft is doing and what you want to get across to the viewer. That would be easier to come up with something for you...

regards