PDA

View Full Version : Lynx XZ614 - 6 May 2006 - 10 years

headlles-navygator
5th May 2016, 22:33
Hard to believe it's been 10 years since the news broke on what had started out as a beautiful Saturday morning.

To the 5 amazing members of the JHF(I) we lost that day - RIP

To their families - you remain in my thoughts and prayers and please know they will not be forgotten and that the memory of them continues to inspire those that remain to be brave and make a difference. Also I was in southern Iraq a couple of months ago and whilst it's not perfect, it is much better than the media portrayals which focus on the bad news from the north.

To all those still serving within the JHC, whether Navy, Army or RAF, at home or overseas - thank you and keep safe.

H-N

https://www.gov.uk/government/fatalities/five-personnel-in-basra-helicopter-crash-named

Evalu8ter
6th May 2016, 08:09
Ghastly day for those of us on R&S at Benson - and memories stirred by the weather today. JC was given a mighty send off, as I'm sure the others were. If any good came out of it, attitudes to RW DAS/ASE changed fundamentally when the cause (and underlying reasons...) were discovered. The loss is still a powerful argument when a DE&S Apparatchik is bleating about the cost of APP.

Rest easy.

blimey
6th May 2016, 14:21
Thanks for the heads up. A glass or two will be raised later.

Jimlad1
6th May 2016, 15:26
Thanks for reminding us. I was in Basra at Div HQ then, and was heavily involved in the aftermath of the incident, and attended the repatriation a few days later . A truly dreadful day - thoughts with those families after all these years.

Cows getting bigger
6th May 2016, 16:28
Truly a sad day. Personally, the loss of both John and Sarah hit home as I was fortunate to have previously served with both of them. Importantly, I was always humbled by the fact that this specific tragedy epitomised the Joint nature of our efforts in the Middle East.

Evalu8ter - DAS, never a more true word.