PDA

View Full Version : RN fires on Spanish patrol boat re USN SSN

chopper2004
5th May 2016, 21:34
Royal Navy fires warning shots as Spanish vessel harasses US sub in Gibraltar (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/05/royal-navy-fires-warning-shots-as-spanish-vessel-harasses-us-sub/)

Spanish patrol boat not aware of approaching sub into Gib / miscommunication or wanting to exercise the Gib right?

Going to make things interesting for the upcoming NATO Tiger Meet at Zaragoza in a fortnight...

Cheers

BossEyed
5th May 2016, 22:13
"Warning shots" = flares, according to the link.

camelspyyder
6th May 2016, 00:35
Maybe Tutor students would take more notice if the Caravan was allowed to fire warning shots instead of flares...

Davef68
6th May 2016, 12:35
One wonders if the Spanish realised it was a US sub.....

Union Jack
6th May 2016, 13:06
Exactamente.....:hmm:

Jack

Geordie_Expat
6th May 2016, 13:24
Could this have been an "Oh s..t" moment for the Spaniards when they realised.

KenV
6th May 2016, 13:36
One wonders if the Spanish realised it was a US sub..... Kinda hard to miss that US flag flying from the mast whenever she's surfaced. Or maybe it was precisely that flag that motivated their actions.

NutLoose
6th May 2016, 14:00
Spain claims sovereignty over the strategic outpost, which stands on the southernmost tip of the Iberian peninsula, but has been a British Overseas Territory since the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713.

Strange they always distance themselves from the Moroccan claims

Ceuta, Melilla profile - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14114627)

PersonFromPorlock
6th May 2016, 19:27
Strange they always distance themselves from the Moroccan claimsBrings up an interesting point; since it was a US boat, will Obama apologize to Spain or Morocco?

Captivep
9th May 2016, 15:17
I was in Gib on the day this happened - I didn't hear or see anything particularly noisy (not that that proves anything - I was in a pub most of the time).

But I did see the sub enter the port; it was (according to local news reports) USS Florida, an SSGN. It (she?) didn't stay very long...