PDA

View Full Version : Russian Nuke Sub Burned 600 Miles off the US Border

Backinblack
4th May 2016, 13:30
The fire raged for about 10 hours on the Russian nuclear-powered submarine Krasnoyarsk being disposed at the Kamchatka peninsula.

Russian Nuke Sub Burned 600 Miles off the US Border (http://mil.today/2016/Incidents7/)

Sorry for non-aviation

Lonewolf_50
4th May 2016, 15:50
The fire raged for about 10 hours on the Russian nuclear-powered submarine Krasnoyarsk being disposed at the Kamchatka peninsula.
Russian Nuke Sub Burned 600 Miles off the US Border (http://mil.today/2016/Incidents7/)
Sorry for non-aviation
I ask you what the significance of the distance from the US border is in this story? From what I read, there is none. In other news, you will find that a riot in Mexico City will have taken place within 600 miles of the US border.
So what?

As to the accident, as a former Navy man, I feel for the guys fighting fires on that sub. Bad deal all around.
The fire broke out during welding works with burning of inter-hull heat/sound insulation material between the outer casing and the strength hull. Fifteen military servicemen taking part in the firefighting activities suffered.

A_Van
4th May 2016, 16:18
Comment from Lonewolf is very reasonable, as usual - thanks.

Actually this sub is not a sub anymore, but just a hull being "cut" into pieces (and the fire started because of welding). All the equipment was demounted long ago. As it often happens with "news from Russia" - "much ado about nothing" as a guy in Stratford-upon-Avon wrote 400 years ago.

MPN11
4th May 2016, 16:19
Sad though it is, the proximity to the US is a bit of a hare, unless the reactor(s) were still installed.

Just another example of Russian professionalism, for which we ought to be grateful.

PersonFromPorlock
4th May 2016, 16:41
The "600 miles off the US border" sounds a little odd, but sure enough the Russian base in Avacha Bay is about 600 nm from Attu.

Still, the headline strains mightily.