PDA

View Full Version : Heart Murmur(s)

NDW
1st May 2016, 16:38
Good afternoon all,

I posted similar in the Military Aircrew section on this forum, but thought asking in the specific Medical section may bring other information.

**I'm under no illusion or would I in anyway substitute not visiting the Doctor with views shared on here, however as some may be Medically qualified on here I thought it may be worth asking**.

I'm currently in the process of applying to the Mil as Aircrew and at my AFCO Medical, the AME noted he could hear an audible heart murmur, more specifically a 'whooshing' sound just broke my left nipple and ending just under my armpit.

Now, I am one to admit I suffer from the 'white coat syndrome' - I never enjoy Medicals (as I'm sure many also don't), however of course I am concerned of this result.

Does anyone know if there is any relationship between Anxiety and potential heart murmurs?

I'm due to visit my GP for an ECG+Echo and visit the local Cardiologist (hopefully sooner rather than later) but was wondering if any fellow PpruNe users have or experienced anything similar?

Thanks for any info.

Kidneys regards.

gingernut
1st May 2016, 19:55
The "whooshing" or "clicks" are the traditional methods of diagnosing problems with the structure (plumbing) of the heart.

It's a very subjective method of detecting problems, and the odds are, in a 24 year old with no symptoms,it'll lead to nothing more.

The gold standard for diagnosis is the echo. It sounds like they are chucking in the ECG for completeness, which is fair enough.

Please leave some feedback when you are flying an Airbus :-)

NDW
3rd May 2016, 11:11
Thanks Gingernut for your post, appreciate it.

I'll keep you posted

gingernut
5th May 2016, 20:08
no worries

Winnerhofer
5th May 2016, 20:55
Check your mitral valve for prolapse.

Bad medicine
5th May 2016, 22:32
And how does he do that Winnerhofer? With a sharp knife and a mirror? I mean in addition to the echocardiogram which he says he is already booked for?

gingernut
6th May 2016, 21:23
You need the tests as above to rule out any problems, which is unlikely.

NDW
10th May 2016, 19:06
Afternoon all,

Well - I've just come back from my ECG with not the best news - however awaiting a call from the Doc ref my results.

An abnormality was found, but what it is, is still very much a guessing game, my heart rate was around 96-100 (due to anxiety).

So, presuming next stage will be to have an Echo and to visit the Cardio chap!

lomapaseo
10th May 2016, 20:16
Well - I've just come back from my ECG with not the best news - however awaiting a call from the Doc ref my results.

An abnormality was found, but what it is, is still very much a guessing game, my heart rate was around 96-100 (due to anxiety).

I've never seen one(ECG) without an abnormality but I suppose they exist. There is a whole bunch of no worries in them until the doctor tells you different.

I have 20 years of these copied as jpgs on my hardrive and they keep telling me I'm fit

Radgirl
11th May 2016, 10:42
I would wait for a cardiology opinion. It is very rare for murmurs, which are due to valve problems or a hole in the heart (but can also be normal!!!!) to effect the ECG - at least enough for the machine or a non cardiologist to pick up. Two separate heart problems at 24 in an otherwise fit person is stretching possibilities to the limit.

Please keep us posted

NDW
12th May 2016, 16:57
Good afternoon all,

Update;
I had a call back today reference my ECG that I had on Tuesday afternoon.

The ECG showed good results, the GP thinks that it may be the top of my heart or a valve of some sort that is pumping quicker than others (probably due to my anxiety when it comes to Medicals etc) and would probably confirm the whooshing sound that was heard at my AFCO medical.

Awaiting a letter from the Cardiologist for the next step.

Best regards.