PDA

View Full Version : Home to Duty allowance vs electric cars

GipsyMagpie
30th Apr 2016, 14:57
Anyone claiming HTD and have an electric car? Wondering if its allowed?

Could be the last?
30th Apr 2016, 15:05
Full electric or hybrid?

I am sure that the blunties will be spending more time on deciding what their badge should like to give a fig about electric HTD........However, as I recall, all you have to do is provide a registration (Car or MotorBike) and a distance; there is no requirement to declare an engine size (unlike mma). Digging back into some 'o' level physics an electric car with a 90kW electric motor produces around 120bhp. Therefore, an avg petrol family car producing a similar bhp is around the 1.6L mark so, if pressed, I would argue a read across.

Pontius Navigator
30th Apr 2016, 15:30
Go to Handbrake House and ask to look at any Admin letters and JSP. Check QRs as well.

BEagle
30th Apr 2016, 15:50
Electric car? ELECTRIC CAR??!! Surely no self-respecting aircrew mate drives anything so gay - unless it's a Tesla perhaps?

Electric cars indeed! Don't tell me that squadron car parks are infested these days with Nissan Leafs or Toyota Prius...:eek: It was bad enough when the death rattle of the disesel car could be heard; surely people knew that diesel was NOT an officer's fuel?

POWERRR!!! That's what counts!

;)

camelspyyder
30th Apr 2016, 16:50
And they're difficult to charge at work if you can't park it within 25 yards of the office window...

GipsyMagpie
30th Apr 2016, 17:00
Just curious about Tesla S. The HTD would not have to be plowed into fuel because you could probably charge the thing once a week at the supermarket for free. And a car with "ludicrous" mode gets my vote!

Could be the last?
30th Apr 2016, 17:28
Big tax breaks with an electric car as well............. but only if you are self-employed!

Melchett01
30th Apr 2016, 18:32
Well some people across the Forces must be buying electric cars as SHQ at my place has just put out an edict banning people from plugging their cars into the Station supply.

Courtney Mil
30th Apr 2016, 20:00
Go to Handbrake House and ask to look at any Admin letters and JSP. Check QRs as well.

No, should serving personnel be able to go to "Handbrake House" and ask the professionals, who are employed to administer people, to explain the answer to the enquirer? Like so many other organisations, companies and depertments, the "efficiency" excuse just means expecting "employees" to do their own admin, worry not when they fail to know how to ask for their entitlements and berate them (or worse) when they get ask for the wrong things.

I wish to add, I do not think this is, in any way, the fault of the good people that work in station admin.

Roadster280
30th Apr 2016, 20:34
Well some people across the Forces must be buying electric cars as SHQ at my place has just put out an edict banning people from plugging their cars into the Station supply.
That's nuts. Instead of encouraging the use of forward-looking greener technology, they're looking at the leccy bill, or perhaps embarrassed at the inadequacy of the supply?

I saw a Tesla the other day on the Beltway overtake another car. It was simply astonishing how quickly it rocketed around the other car.

760HP, under 3 seconds 0-60.

Pontius Navigator
30th Apr 2016, 21:46
CM, the problem is the experience grading in P-staff. The Chief Clerk probably knows the answer but their time is scarce. Tracking down the appropriate staff member who does know an answer can be tricky
However researching the answer yourself can pay dividends as my son in law would attest and we are talking ŁKs.

dctyke
1st May 2016, 07:00

A few years back at handbrake house there were murmurings about charging mobile phones at work!

Pontius Navigator
1st May 2016, 07:27
A few years back at handbrake house there were murmurings about charging mobile phones at work!
One of my jobs at a secret base in eastern Lincolnshire was ensuring that there was a socket for each computer CPU and a separate one for the VDU. OC Eng' s office was an electrical disaster area with phone chargers, computers, printers, intercom etc and a daisy chain of extension leads and multi adaptors.

Some of these were private such as a phone, laptop etc. Now who would tell him to unplug or pay?

I had a new bank of sockets installed - never asked his permission and he probably never knew who did it :)

PS, wonder no one thinks to charge for kettle use.

Melchett01
1st May 2016, 10:02

Yes, I remember that. Always thought it was a little cheeky for the system to then give you a duty phone and expect you to charge it at home.

Pontius Navigator
1st May 2016, 12:21
Yes, I remember that. Always thought it was a little cheeky for the system to then give you a duty phone and expect you to charge it at home.
Like the old aircrew watches that you had to wind up yourself :)

vernon99
1st May 2016, 14:08
Some of these were private such as a phone, laptop etc. Now who would tell him to unplug or pay?

I had a new bank of sockets installed - never asked his permission and he probably never knew who did it

PS, wonder no one thinks to charge for kettle use.

Don't tell the taxman - using electricity at work to boil a kettle or charge phone/laptop/car must be a benefit in kind. :ugh:

Standby to have your wallet lightened.:E

MPN11
1st May 2016, 14:30
I have to pay for the electricity to charge my all-electric car - why should you get it free from Station/Unit sources? :)

I'm still a taxpayer, you know!

Melchett01
1st May 2016, 15:11
I have to pay for the electricity to charge my all-electric car - why should you get it free from Station/Unit sources? :)

I'm still a taxpayer, you know!

Buy shares in whichever company supplies the electricity and you'll get your money back in dividends ;)

In all seriousness I can see this becoming a bit of an issue should the MOD ever decide to go green and replace those God awful Astras & Corsas that somebody in Vauxhall must have lost a wager on never being able to shift. Given the number of TRIAD notices where I have known people be stood down from work for periods over the winter to minimise the Station's electricity usage over specific periods, it'll be interesting to see how the MOD copes with recharging a MT yard's worth or cars with the threat of TRIAD charges looming when making a brew over the period already makes them spin.

soddim
1st May 2016, 15:43
Many yesterdays ago we perpetrated a great hoax about replacing execs MT vehicles with Sinclair C5's - including charging points, refunds of home electricity use and changing facilities for donning/doffing protective clothing.
We hooked one gullible exec who created mayhem over the issue - egged on, of course, by arguments in favour of economy, environment etc.
If you can't take a joke.............

MPN11
1st May 2016, 16:05
Melchett01 ... I am, of course, on the fringes of the subject. My all-electric car is fuelled by the Jersey Electricity Company ... and most of the volts come from France [mainly hydro-electric, with a bit of nuclear thrown in]. Only 70+ miles on a full charge, but then on a 9x5 Island that tend to cover the average day adequately ;)

It's noticeable that many of the taxis here are Prius [or similar] hybrids.

Pontius Navigator
1st May 2016, 16:05
MPN, cheeky, and which part of your tax pounds goes to Defence?

Melchett, they'll find a local supermarket offering free charging and rotate the fleet through that. Or, as my last Works Services Tech proposed, use our standby generator and come off grid.

Pontius Navigator
1st May 2016, 16:08
MPN, I use an electric bike and many in our village use mobility buggies for shopping. Just wish we could use golf buggies as in the Prisoner. Saw a French electric buggy, very snazzy but iro Ł20k

MPN11
1st May 2016, 17:13
PN ... you may be surprised to know that we do make a Defence contribution, and have for centuries ;)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Militia_of_the_Island_of_Jersey

Now a Sapper sub-unit of Royal Monmouthshire RE (Militia) ... http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/units/28725.aspx

Many members of the Jersey Field Squadron have served in the various sandy places ... and for all I know some are doing so today.

I think that may be suffient Tread Deviation for today :)

drustsonoferp
1st May 2016, 17:53
PN The vehicles in the Prisoner were not electric golf buggies, but Mini Mokes: same engine and transmission as a mini, in a different wrapper.

BEagle
1st May 2016, 18:10
FFS - walk if shopping isn't too heavy to lug home, 354 bhp of AMG powerrrr if it is....!!

The heck with sodding electric obesycles!