PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: RAF Detachable Kneeboard Wallets

samfranklin
26th Apr 2016, 17:25
Does anybody have any of the plastic wallets for the RAF detachable kneeboards lying around?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Courtney Mil
26th Apr 2016, 17:30
Possibly. Can you be more specific about what you mean by that. I do have some old stuff, which is yours if it's the right stuff. AH, THE RIGHT STUFF. A picture, a description?

samfranklin
26th Apr 2016, 17:50
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTg3WDY3NQ==/z/nAoAAOSw~OdVcucv/$_1.JPG
Can't find a pic of the wallets themselves, but they clip inside this? Thanks!

romeo bravo
27th Apr 2016, 09:10
A5 or A6 paper laminated and hole punched should do the job ;-)

Stitchbitch
27th Apr 2016, 11:49
If you mean the clear plastic pouches, then they're pretty close to rocking horse do-do, and were certainly thin on the ground when I left. I would suggest buying a decent kneeboard from 'flyboys' although it probably won't help the OP.

Courtney Mil
27th Apr 2016, 13:04
I may have the whole thing in my man cave. If so,M you are very welcome to some. When I find it I'll check the dimensions - were they the same as the clear holders in the Aircrew pocket books? The ones that we put our TAPs in.

samfranklin
27th Apr 2016, 14:16
I may have the whole thing in my man cave. If so,M you are very welcome to some. When I find it I'll check the dimensions - were they the same as the clear holders in the Aircrew pocket books? The ones that we put our TAPs in.
Unfortunately I don't know if they're the same wallets; I'd be very grateful for them though to try!
I have some bits laminated, but the plastic wallets are good for chopping and changing.

Thanks

TUPE
27th Apr 2016, 15:11
Courtney, the inserts from an Aircrew Pocket Book fit perfick :ok:

ahwalk01
27th Apr 2016, 15:54
I'm thinking of a new kneeboard, is this a good option?

samfranklin
27th Apr 2016, 16:00
Courtney, the inserts from an Aircrew Pocket Book fit perfick :ok:

Thanks for clarifying!

Courtney Mil
27th Apr 2016, 16:25
Samfranklin,

PM me your postal address and I'll get some of whatever I have in the post to you. Might take a day or two from France once I dig them out.

samfranklin
27th Apr 2016, 16:43
Samfranklin,

PM me your postal address and I'll get some of whatever I have in the post to you. Might take a day or two from France once I dig them out.
PM sent. Thank you!

GipsyMagpie
27th Apr 2016, 21:41

Flyboys kneeboard is very good and available in UK. Their plastic wallets are a tiny bit flawed with laser copier print outs though - the toner tends to stick to the inside over time. The flyboys rings are the best available though. You can even get your name stitched into the kneeboard.

The Mk2 issue board is frankly rubbish and overdue for retirement. The Wings kneeboard also has some followers.

Courtney Mil
27th Apr 2016, 22:41
TUPE, thanks. I thought that was the case.

Gipsy, they all seem to do that.

Stitchbitch
28th Apr 2016, 06:14
What CM said, print comes off on the MK2 pockets as well. Flyboys knee boards were pretty popular on the 'phoon (although not officially cleared at time, although this may have changed) and can also be found in the cockpit of other more geriatric ('legacy platforms') aeroplane types.

samfranklin
28th Apr 2016, 09:47

I really like it, but that's because it works well with the flying suits - apart from that it's mostly overrated! Would definitely get a better civi equivalent, which is what I should be doing soon.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Apr 2016, 17:04
Half a lifetime since anybody last trusted me in a FJ, but my kneeboard is still going strong for flying an all wooden all-British vintage aeroplane that amuses me at weekends.

The plastic of the standard inserts has a particular talent for treating photocopier toner like glue. Much better is either (a) print or write your stuff on plain white card from Staples, or (b) use A5 filing pockets, trim off the holes bit on the left, and hole-punch them. Slightly wider, but there's an infinite supply, they're much thinner, and the ink doesn't stick to them.

I wouldn't dare use it in an FJ, but for most non-aerobatic flying machines, the various commercial trifold kneeboards are vastly better than any military kit I've had. This is my current favourite: I did have a marginally nicer Pooleys model designed for AAC rotary pilots, but it wore out and I discovered that when it did, they'd stopped making them.

ASA Tri Fold IFR Kneeboard (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Pilot-Kneeboards-ASA-Tri-Fold-IFR-Kneeboard+7096)

G