PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for initial EASA Class One

pug
23rd Apr 2016, 11:19
I had seen a thread about the closure of the Aeromedical Centre at Gatwick but now can't seem to find it.

Is there anyone visiting this site who has undertaken their initial since the aforementioned closure, and if so are they able to tell me where they actually did it?

Have been on the CAA website, and there are two surgeries indicated as currently undertaking the initials (both in the South East), however there seems to be a conflict of information on their own respective websites.

I shall be making a phone call when I near the time of biting the bullet and going for it, but any heads up on here would be appreciated.

Mustapha Cuppa
23rd Apr 2016, 17:21
however there seems to be a conflict of information on their own respective websites.

What is the "conflict of information" to which you refer?

pug
23rd Apr 2016, 18:06
I have read up a little further, perhaps conflict or information was the wrong choice of words. So now just wanting clarity really.

AMS say initial bookings are phone only, only renewals on their online booking form. Just to be clear, if anyone knows, are the initials only carried out in their central London surgery? Or are they carried out near Gatwick?

The CAA website says NATS are currently unable to perform the initial exam, however their website states otherwise.

I will be arranging by phone nearer the time, however ill be travelling quite far so I'd also like to plan accommodation, and having friends in Surrey it's possible i could stay there the night before. So I'd just like a clearer idea of my options.

EZY_FR
25th Apr 2016, 13:49
NATS in Prestwick regularly carries out initial medicals. They haven't done so recently because their doctor is on sick leave.

pug
25th Apr 2016, 20:55
Thanks EZY FR, though Prestwick is w but further for me than the London area. I'll call up closer to the time. Will update on here when I know more just in case anyone else is interested.

am111
25th Apr 2016, 22:05
I took my initial Class 1 in March and the only two options were AMS and AeMC. NATS in Gatwick weren't offering initials back then either. I'm pretty sure I contacted them to confirm. I also called AMS to book an appointment and the lady on the phone said she would send me an e-mail with all the info but I never received it so I ended up going to AeMC in London. I had to wait about a month though as I think they only do them once a week and they only do 4 or 5 at a time. I would call up sooner rather than later so it doesn't delay any other timelines you have.

AM

pug
26th Apr 2016, 12:28
AN111, thanks. I hope it was a successful outcome for you?

am111
26th Apr 2016, 20:18
AN111, thanks. I hope it was a successful outcome for you?

No problem.

Delighted to say I passed with flying colours and will hopefully be joining CAE OAA in September. Just sent off the loan application today!