PDA

View Full Version : Help for Veteran

Torchy
11th Apr 2016, 08:40
I wonder if anyone local to this chap can help him wiith travel?

WW2 bomber pilot is separated from his wife after council withdraws home care | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3532543/World-War-Two-bomber-pilot-92-separated-wife-25-years-council-withdraws-home-care.html)

I know that we see a lot of this type of stuff these days, and Councils are pulling the plug on all sorts of benefits and social help, but A couple of lifts a week from someone local might help - or local RAFA?

Torchy

Torchy
11th Apr 2016, 08:59
Just contacted RAFA with all the details - no reply as yet. Might still be an idea if anyone in the Wells area could do s bit of driving?

Torchy

Checks Complete
11th Apr 2016, 09:35
Try your local SSAFA they have very good relationship with all the Service Charities including the RAFBF.

Checks Complete

Bill Macgillivray
11th Apr 2016, 19:53
Local SSAFA, tel. 01935 841 331 (Answerphone) or [email protected]

They will help!!

Bill.

Torchy
12th Apr 2016, 12:46
Thanks Bill - on the case!

Tankertrashnav
12th Apr 2016, 14:43
I remember having a sum extracted from my pay during the whole of my service which went to the RAF Benevolent Fund, and I assume that is still ongoing. Surely this is just the sort of thing which the fund was set up to deal with? Have they been contacted?

MPN11
12th Apr 2016, 15:50
TTN ... IME they are all very variable, depending on where you are. Whether it's RBL, SSAFA, RAFA, RAFBF or whoever, you are still depending on the wit, energy and imagination of the local Branch.

The "Central" organisations can be awful, especially on-line, as we've discovered with both RBL and RAFA.

Bill Macgillivray
12th Apr 2016, 20:51
TTN, MPN11

At SSAFA we almonise Service funds and aim to re-act within 48 hours to a request for help. However,I have to agree with you that some of the Service funds and other Service charities can take somewhat longer to re-act, even to our requests.
We still try !!

TBM-Legend
13th Apr 2016, 04:39
What's wrong with our society??? Free everything for the freeloaders and illegals but zilch for an old chap and his beloved....

NutLoose
13th Apr 2016, 11:20
It might not be the case there, but an old chap I know uses a volunteer system for visiting hospital, it is run by volunteers who offer their services to drive people to and fro from appontments etc and he simply covers the car cost, ie fuel, which is considerably cheaper than taxis etc, it might be an idea if all else fails.

Torchy
13th Apr 2016, 16:45
Quick update: Got in touch with SSAFA Somerset, and they have a caseworker investigating this now with local council.

T