PDA

View Full Version : Falklands now without naval cover for the first time since the Falklands War

NutLoose
2nd Apr 2016, 18:53
Says it all really..

Falklands Islands left with no Royal Navy warship protection for first time since 1982 conflict (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/falklands-islands-left-with-no-royal-navy-warship-protection-for-first-time-since-1982-conflict/ar-BBrePkh?li=BBoPOOl)

Fedaykin
2nd Apr 2016, 19:32
Somebody had better tell the crew of HMS Clyde that they somehow have got lost and left the South Atlantic!

HMS Clyde (P257) | Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organisation/the-fighting-arms/surface-fleet/patrol/river-class/hms-clyde)

pr00ne
2nd Apr 2016, 19:32
Apart from the permanently based HMS Clyde, a British warship..,

Royalistflyer
2nd Apr 2016, 19:41
But surely all Clyde can do if she sees a submarine or surface warship is run like hell because she carries no torpedoes, if she sees an aircraft all she can do is squawk because she carries no anti-aircraft missiles.

Rhino power
2nd Apr 2016, 19:44
Whilst it may be fair to say that the terminology used to describe HMS Clyde is technically correct (i.e. 'warship'), it might also be fair to say that a Type 45 destroyer, or similar, has a somewhat more intimidating presence...

-RP

Fedaykin
2nd Apr 2016, 19:51
But surely all Clyde can do if she sees a submarine or surface warship is run like hell because she carries no torpedoes, if she sees an aircraft all she can do is squawk because she carries no anti-aircraft missiles.

Why? the submarine or warship won't be serving with the Argentine navy!

Argentine destroyer that led war against Britain sinks, a symbol of decay for once-proud navy | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01/23/argentine-destroyer-that-led-war-against-britain-sinks-symbol-decay-for-once.html)

27mm
2nd Apr 2016, 19:55
You're forgetting the Silent Service.......

PapaDolmio
2nd Apr 2016, 20:01
Sssssshhhhh...........

Flap62
2nd Apr 2016, 20:16
At this precise moment what is the threat that any warship would be a defence against?

Tourist
2nd Apr 2016, 20:29
Same threat the Typhoons are defending against...

NutLoose
2nd Apr 2016, 20:55
The Trinidad has been raised and read somewhere she is to be restored as a museum

Falklands' war "ARA Santisima Trinidad" refloated in Puerto Belgrano ? MercoPress (http://en.mercopress.com/2015/12/23/falklands-war-ara-santisima-trinidad-refloated-in-puerto-belgrano)

Mind you it isn't looking well in dry dock

http://www.defensa.com/frontend/defensa/tras-tres-anos-semisumergido-entra-dique-seco-destructor-armada-vn17491-vst330

Just This Once...
2nd Apr 2016, 20:55
At least the Typhoons get launched against real Argentinian aircraft.

Bigbux
2nd Apr 2016, 21:33
No Navy

No Air Force

oh hang on, which country am I talking about?:eek:

Frostchamber
3rd Apr 2016, 14:21
A frigate or destroyer is only in Falklands waters for a few weeks of each South Atlantic deployment, and that has been the situation for many years now. So the suggestion that there is no frigate or destroyer there "for the first time" is complete bolleaux. As has been noted, HMS Clyde is the only permanent warship presence and that too has been the situation for many years.

Door Slider
3rd Apr 2016, 16:44
HMS Clyde is not even owned by the RN (taxpayer) but is leased from BAE Systems.

Tourist
3rd Apr 2016, 18:05
At least the Typhoons get launched against real Argentinian aircraft.
Really?

Or do you mean that the Typhoons sometimes leave the ground and go see some Argentine aircraft with no expectation of shooting anybody down.?

Bit like when the warships sometimes leave port and sail around a bit down the South Atlantic.

Hangarshuffle
3rd Apr 2016, 18:12
They'll never attack again. Their countries a far bigger basket case than ours. We still have a few submarines, some TLAM, Typhoon.... eventually some HM surface ships would re-join and tip the balance . We Just need to pay people substantially more to keep skilled people in..or think of other special arrangements to manage the manning. Argentina have plenty of loud talk but little else...and who talks for them anyway?

Out Of Trim
3rd Apr 2016, 19:03
I have to say, the HMS Clyde Patrol Vessel is rather short on credible arms. Not really a Warship I would say.

OK against fishing vessels but, not much else! We never seem to have quite enough weapons capability on any of our ships. Bang for buck seems very uninspiring to say the least. Why is that?

glad rag
3rd Apr 2016, 19:46
HS it ain't the pay that drives them out in their droves.

Tourist
3rd Apr 2016, 20:11
Out of trim

It's because while it is easy to look at little gunboats covered in missiles and think they are great, it's a little trickier to field credible blue water ships that can go anywhere at any time and fight any threat. Because they are bigger, they seem less gunned up.
Their actual capabilities are in an entirely different league.
Our type 22s were world class, particularly the batch 2 and 3
The 45 is great.
23s meh...

Courtney Mil
3rd Apr 2016, 20:22
Dear Lord, what a sorry bunch of posts. Partly due to changing definitions, I grant you. Have any of you ever seen the FI (I shall call it) Defence Plan?

BEagle
4th Apr 2016, 06:58
I recall being at one of those daily briefs in the Tick-tock down at MPA. Virtually every day the RN rep was asked about the progress of the much-delayed guard ship - I think it was the Iron Duck?

"Any news on your ship?", he asked
"Yes, sir, it left port over the weekend"
"So when's it due?"
"Err, we don't know sure. On her way down she was sent to sit off Freetown!"

I had visions of dozens of matelots being hurled from their hammocks as Iron Duck went "Turnabout left, turnabout left...Go!"

I don't think that Iron Duck ever turned up on that occasion; after time in Sierra Leone they probably went direct to a number of pre-arranged cockersPs in the Caribbean. And who could blame them? Which probably left Bouncy Castle as the only ship down south.

NutLoose
4th Apr 2016, 08:50
Dear Lord, what a sorry bunch of posts. Partly due to changing definitions, I grant you. Have any of you ever seen the FI (I shall call it) Defence Plan?

Is that the one that involved hurling dead sheep out of a Trebuchet at the invading hordes, or the other one?

BEagle
4th Apr 2016, 09:28
No, the plan included beaming Deliverance to Argentina, followed by polite enquiries to the Argentine forces as to whether they would be prepared to "Squeal like a pig" after having been given a 'High Six' by the Bennies / Stills / Andies.....:\

TorqueOfTheDevil
4th Apr 2016, 10:09
I have to say, the HMS Clyde Patrol Vessel is rather short on credible arms. Not really a Warship I would say.

And is this a marked reduction from the capability provided for many years by HMS Leeds Castle and HMS Dumbarton Castle?

hoss183
4th Apr 2016, 10:38
Complicado Reflotimento
Isn't that a spell from Harry Potter?

MSOCS
4th Apr 2016, 10:50
Expecto Petroleum?

pr00ne
4th Apr 2016, 14:23
Door Slider,

Wrong, you are well out of date and are also thinking of the other three ships in the Class. They WERE leased for ten years but were purchased outright in 2012. Clyde was an outright buy.

Torqueofthedevil,

The Clyde is a very much more sophisticated vessel than either of the Castle's.

TorqueOfTheDevil
4th Apr 2016, 15:13
The Clyde is a very much more sophisticated vessel than either of the Castle's.

Thanks but my question was more for those deriding Clyde's capability ;)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
5th Apr 2016, 22:33
BEagle, IRDK did eventually turn to, mid NOV 00, and proceeded to be a pain in the bum. This is her entering harbour, taken from the rather lively bridge of the tug INDOMITABLE.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Golf_Bravo_Zulu/IRDK2_zpsoe36mb6v.jpg

300hrWannaB
5th Apr 2016, 22:41
Well, that looks significantly more threatening than HMS Endurance, which was the primary defence until 1982. That and approximately 12 Marines.

I thought that the whole reason I went to the Falklands to build a significant military specification airfield (Shhhhh!) was so that we could deploy a very large number of personnel and associated equipment within 24 hours.
In defence of modesty, there were a few thousand others helping me with the construction.

The point remains. Margaret Thatcher International Airport is there for a reason.

Wander00
6th Apr 2016, 09:13
300- were you there same time as me - Jan-May 86 - when I signed for most of the construction and handed it over to PSA. Lived on contractors' rules - LMA and +WTW- for the first 10 weeks approx, then the "military" took control, and immediately withdrew duvets, and fresh salad and fruit disappeared off the menu!