PDA

View Full Version : RAF 100 website

mmitch
2nd Apr 2016, 10:00
The RAF has a new website to mark the 100 year anniversary in 2018.
They are asking for ideas on how to mark it.....
Your ideas - RAF100 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/your-ideas/)
mmitch.

Wander00
2nd Apr 2016, 11:16
I sent them an idea - sort out Air Cadet gliding.....................

Linedog
2nd Apr 2016, 14:07
Turn back the clock to the seventies, bring back the cold war, re-open RAFG.
I'd volunteer even at my age. :ok:

Tankertrashnav
2nd Apr 2016, 14:39
A centenary flypast of the every aircraft in the RAF.

Mind you once they've both flown past I'm not sure what to suggest as a follow up :*

Haraka
2nd Apr 2016, 16:26
I've sent mine in.
My guess is that it is likely to be totally unacceptable since it involves aircraft: so I fear we will probably end up with something like a commemorative issue of postage stamps, followed by a celebratory cross-country run and parade at Cranwell.

Not forgetting the inevitable ("Stars" Only) Royal reception in the evening of course : with a couple of very old veterans wheeled out by the organisers in order to make the other distinguished attendees feel nice and warm inside. :)

Valiantone
2nd Apr 2016, 16:55
Maybe they might get a sneak preview of the shiny new jet for 617 Sqn....

As they only have 3 years left till the OSD we might have enough Tornados left.

As for a 100 aircraft flypast we might have enough :(

V1

Union Jack
2nd Apr 2016, 17:53
Turn back the clock to the seventies, bring back the cold war, re-open RAFG.

Better still, turn the clock back to the status quo prior to 1 April 1918....:E

Jack

RAF_Techie101
2nd Apr 2016, 18:53
Medals for everyone!

Pontius
3rd Apr 2016, 03:20
Maybe look back to the 10th Century and see how a proper service celebrated their first one hundred years :-)

typerated
3rd Apr 2016, 05:27
I think a formation of Tutors should overfly London, spelling out 100 on the 1st of April

Also there should be fancy logo designed.

Oh and a mission statement too.

Ogre
3rd Apr 2016, 05:52
Whatever they do I hope they have sense enough to hold it on the 2nd of April, holding it on the 1st would just make the majority of people think it was a prank...

EESDL
3rd Apr 2016, 09:13
All these doom merchants - We have plenty of aircraft to crack the '100' fly past - just have to stick to using Roman Numerals!! Do we have 6 Tutors?

XX
X
X
XX

MPN11
3rd Apr 2016, 09:37
Having looked at that website, not using juvenile and illegible fonts would be a good start.

peterperfect
3rd Apr 2016, 10:02
They could use the Fleet Air Arm's Centenary website from 2009 as a model.

BEagle
3rd Apr 2016, 12:21
One hopes that those responsible for organising RAF100 will remember this farce:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/270891-spirit-adventure.html

And that was back when the RAF even had a few more aircraft types....

Still, RAF100 has one of those cringeworthy mission statements (or are they called visions now?): Commemoration Celebration Inspiration :yuk:

Sound like something from the old Fry's Five Boys chocolate wrapper: Desperation Pacification Expectation Acclamation Realisation.

Or even 'Strength Through Joy'?

CoffmanStarter
3rd Apr 2016, 12:33
For one brief moment I thought the RAF was setting up a '100 Club' to help with their finances :p

Willard Whyte
3rd Apr 2016, 15:32
In the spirit of the standard (in days gone by, no idea if it still happens) 'well done' from some vso of some sort, how about an extra half a day's leave?

Selatar
3rd Apr 2016, 15:34
Lots of spitfires will be involved I venture....

Massive London flypast surely, perhaps with a live link to the latest Tornado/typhoon/MQ9 drop in the Middle East...

RAFEngO74to09
3rd Apr 2016, 17:24
Some ideas from the other side of the pond:

Official video with an inspirational blend of heritage and modern content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOdv32uqPg

Get a music personality to write and record a tribute - 2nd thoughts - probably wouldn't work as well in the UK as over here but raises a smile for those that appreciate air power nevertheless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShngtWv298

4mastacker
3rd Apr 2016, 20:51
Does the '100' bit refer to the number of OBEs this project is going to generate?

Mick Strigg
4th Apr 2016, 08:32
Disbandment!

MSOCS
4th Apr 2016, 11:00
This thread's like an episode of Grumpy Old Men.

Come to think of it, this whole website's like an......

Onceapilot
4th Apr 2016, 16:05
My Idea? Tell you what, give me £100,000 and call it consultancy and I will tell them just what to do!:)

OAP

Haraka
4th Apr 2016, 19:02
My initial advice was conditional on a consultancy contract. :)
Well, at least I can see the joke......

Lima Juliet
4th Apr 2016, 20:30
Having looked at that website, not using juvenile and illegible fonts would be a good start.

Well said! :D:D

Since when did the RAF use orange in a logo font? It looks like something more at home on a graffiti clad inner-city wall than a Royal Air Force logo!

Truly, truly, gopping! :yuk:

http://rafcms.binarydev.net/raf100/rafcentenary/includes/themes/mura-raf100-theme/images/RAF100_logo.png

Lima Juliet
4th Apr 2016, 20:40
Here are some suggestions of something a bit more befitting:

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/images/logos/Centenary_programme_news_lo.jpg

http://www.wendovernews.co.uk/img/800/0/EventImages-image-13.jpg

http://www.marhamhub.co.uk/posters/2015/021136-100-coin-poster-587.jpg

SirToppamHat
4th Apr 2016, 21:04
I have a couple of suggestions, but it asks for name, rank and email and I don't fancy spending the few years I have left at RRH Benbecula!

Hate the logo though!

Willard Whyte
4th Apr 2016, 22:04
Very 70s

http://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/rafcentenary/includes/themes/mura-raf100-theme/images/RAF100_logo.png

Wouldn't look out of place on the cover of a 'Yes' album.

http://www.yesholland.com/Thumbs/yesRoundhouse.jpg

Pontius Navigator
5th Apr 2016, 09:16
A centenary flypast of the every aircraft in the RAF.

Mind you once they've both flown past I'm not sure what to suggest as a follow up :*
"THEY"?

Don't you mean IT'S?

Pontius Navigator
5th Apr 2016, 09:33
Suggest all stations open on same day for free military only displays to attract local populations, and have centrally coordinated flypast type displays rather than full display sequences.

S'land
5th Apr 2016, 09:56
This thread's like an episode of Grumpy Old Men.

Come to think of it, this whole website's like an......

What exactly is wrong with Grumpy Old Men, might one ask?

pr00ne
5th Apr 2016, 10:09
S'land

For a start....

Their constant negativity.
They are always whining and whinging.
They live in the past.
They constantly overplay the smallness of the current RAF and spout nonsense about it "only having 2 planes..."
They are afraid of change.
Rose tinted glasses when it comes to history and "the good old days...."
Don't understand that the world has moved on.
Don't understand how technology has moved on.
Have a pathological inability to say the words Amazon and eBay.
Have an old fashioned and strange attitude toward women.
Seem to think that legalising homosexuality somehow made it compulsory.
Bizarrely think that being white, male, heterosexual, able bodied and over 50 somehow makes them a discriminated minority rather than the most powerful and elite group in human history.

S'land
5th Apr 2016, 10:16
Ah, now I know.

Wander00
5th Apr 2016, 10:36
So, what's wrong with any or all of those........

pr00ne
5th Apr 2016, 10:43
Everything!

NutLoose
5th Apr 2016, 10:50
They have completed listing our capabilities :E

RAF - Aircraft (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/aircraft.cfm)

Aircraft

[link not available]
[link not available]
[link not available]
[link not available]

Smaller Transport Aircraft (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/smalleraircraft.cfm)

(http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/smalleraircraft.cfm)
[link not available]
[link not available]
[link not available]

Compare Aircraft (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/compareaircraft.cfm)I particularly like this one

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/

Intelligence and RAF Regiment Equipment

It sort of infers the RAF Regiment aren't intelligent.

I could design a better logo that that RAF 100 item.

Do you think Betty will send them a birthday card?

pr00ne
5th Apr 2016, 10:53
Nutloose,

Snigger!

FODPlod
6th Apr 2016, 13:39
My grandson has a toy dumper truck just like this but does anyone know where I can find the snowplough attachment? :)

http://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/rafcentenary/includes/themes/mura-raf100-theme/images/RAF100_logo.png

NutLoose
6th Apr 2016, 14:48
The new yellow logo as mentioned does fit in well with the current Tonka Toy range the RAF fly

drustsonoferp
6th Apr 2016, 17:24
With a nod to the 50th anniversary, I'd like to see a Typhoon flying under Tower Bridge. That would capture the imagination, and make for excellent photos.

November4
7th Apr 2016, 10:58
Wonder why the Agusta A109E is listed under "Tanker and Transport" rather than "Helicopter" on the link posted by NL (#36)

aw ditor
7th Apr 2016, 13:04
Re Tower Bridge, they could retain Al Pollock as a consultant!

newt
7th Apr 2016, 20:17
So they set up a team and ask the rest of us for the ideas!!! Well here goes! Get rid of half the senior officers above the rank of Wing Commander, cancel the F35 and buy some decent off the peg aeroplanes! Stop the Army and the Navy running rings around us! Then organise a piss-up on every disused airfield to show the public what has really been given away! Oh and pay for it with the 9 million quid the Conservatives have just spent on a bloody pamphlet telling us to vote to stay in the EU!

Flack jacket on and wine nearly finished😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

NutLoose
8th Apr 2016, 09:39
Organise the hangar bash to end all hangar bashes, invite all serving and ex members along and entice them with free food, free booze and free accommodation..... when they all arrive tell them it is £500 per head and when they query it, say.... you didn't seriously believe that did you? APRIL FOOL.... :p

4mastacker
8th Apr 2016, 11:47
So they set up a team and ask the rest of us for the ideas!!! Well here goes! Get rid of half the senior officers above the rank of Wing Commander, cancel the F35 and buy some decent off the peg aeroplanes! Stop the Army and the Navy running rings around us! Then organise a piss-up on every disused airfield to show the public what has really been given away! Oh and pay for it with the 9 million quid the Conservatives have just spent on a bloody pamphlet telling us to vote to stay in the EU!

Flack jacket on and wine nearly finished😄😄😄😄😄😄😄
Sounds like a plan!! :ok:

theonewhoknows
8th Apr 2016, 21:59
How about you munch of ........ having a little loyalty and actually trying to help with some constructive comments. I am disgusted with the lot of you.

newt
9th Apr 2016, 07:13
This is a forum theonewhoknows!!!! You may be disgusted but the "munch" of us enjoy the banter!! Oh and the majority of us were loyal serving members so stop being rude!:E:E:E:E

1.3VStall
9th Apr 2016, 09:18
Too right Newt - I served for nearly 28 years, but it doesn't stop me grieving that so little of what I knew remains!

theonewhoknows
9th Apr 2016, 09:42
Rude you say! Banter! What about actually doing something useful! I'm done with this forum. I'm sure there will be tears in the stands. :ugh:

NutLoose
9th Apr 2016, 10:18
Well, that's a dummy well and truly spat out of the proverbial Pram...

Ones still awaiting your ideas.. Commenting on the dreadful font etc is being constructive, hopefully someone will take it up and improve it before the anniversary. I look on it as work in progress.

c52
9th Apr 2016, 22:52
1) Nationwide flypasts of enough size to generate the amount of interest the Vulcan's farewell tour achieved.

2) A lottery to win the sort of flight that journalists get once in a while - with the Red Arrows, a low-flying exercise, a supersonic flight, a dog-fight in Nevada against a MiG.

3) A New York-London Air Race

4) Land an F-35 as close as possible to the base of each ATC unit.

Meldrew
11th Apr 2016, 09:30
I thought that a suggestion in the pipeline was to re vamp the officer's mess at Stowe Maries, and have a "Doo"there?

Pontius Navigator
11th Apr 2016, 12:53
Having duly submitted a suggestion they replied immediately (not) so are they serious, overwhelmed, or o holiday.

Haraka
11th Apr 2016, 13:04
Ditto........

Wander00
12th Apr 2016, 10:30
me too, although mine was (slightly) tongue in cheek...............

NutLoose
12th Apr 2016, 18:09
I sounds rather like they are asking for suggestions but dismissing any that do not agree with their vision, thus when someone comes up with what they want they will announce the public decided.

MPN11
12th Apr 2016, 18:22
May I say "ICBA", as the logo is already in the hands of some Meerkat Outfit that has little connection with what is, and indeed WAS, the Royal Air Force.

I smell ... J Walter Thompson, who used to do much of RAF publicity material and were almost impervious to customer input (been there, binned the t-shirt).

Melchett01
12th Apr 2016, 18:30
If we're running short on jets, I'm sure Putin could lay on quite an impressive fly past if we asked nicely :hmm:

AutoBit
13th Apr 2016, 02:05
No mention of the Falklands, Balkans, Iraq or Afghanistan on the timeline….but at least we know when the Tornado was honoured for its Gulf War Ops, and when the Typhoon became multi-role.

BATCO
13th Apr 2016, 13:17
To commemorate, celebrate, inspire (and challenge) I've gone for a 100 RAF aircraft flypast up the Mall as part of the national service of commemoration*. Happy to draft the OpO, but I'll need a more authoritative signature.

* At St Paul's, to include a Blitz flavour of smoke and flame.

Regards
Batco

Pontius Navigator
21st Apr 2016, 17:43
I got a reply to my suggestion that they should reply to suggestions.

They are a very small team and are trying to reply to everyone in turn.

MPN11
21st Apr 2016, 17:49
Redeploy the Graphics Team to something useful? :D

Glad you got a response, PN

Pontius Navigator
21st Apr 2016, 19:48
MPN, I should have mentioned the reply was from the Chief Operations Officer. Does that give a clue?

Courtney Mil
21st Apr 2016, 21:59
I need to create a website to ask for suggestions that I can suggest to the RAF on their suggestions website.

I can't imagine what they might be hoping us to tell them. Equally, I can't imagine what suggestions might fit their bill or their budget or fit their expectations.

I would have imagined that such an important (or, at least, significant) occasion would bring forth a plethora of grand plans without the need to ask us. Maybe they're just being modern and "sensitive".

Pontius Navigator
22nd Apr 2016, 06:10
Now now Courtney, keep taking the pills

BATCO
22nd Apr 2016, 10:56
Having asked for a 100 aircraft flypast for after the national commemoration service, the RAF100 team have replied that "a flypast is planned and you will not be disappointed".

So 100 aircraft it is then.

Regards
Batco

Courtney Mil
22nd Apr 2016, 11:09
Now now Courtney, keep taking the pills

Good reminder. Thanks.

Melchett01
22nd Apr 2016, 14:58
"a flypast is planned and you will not be disappointed"

Surprised or disappointed I think are the only 2 options when it comes to flypasts these days.

Just as long as it's not a 100 aircraft flypast padded out with AEF and gliders, although given overall numbers and op tempo, we can forget any idea of a fly past of 100 fast / pointy operational types.

Assuming the Reds and BBMF are included, that just leaves them with ~ 85 to find to get 100 aircraft up. I'd guess at least one of the 2 'new' AD sqns of Tiffies plus a Tonka swansong.

CoffmanStarter
22nd Apr 2016, 15:04
What's the betting the F-35C makes an appearance :ooh:

Willard Whyte
22nd Apr 2016, 18:34
The one thing you can bet on is that there will be a leave ban on the week leading up to it, and as 1 April 2018 is a Sunday it won't be a day off, and Saturday will be a last minute practice. Oh, Monday 2nd April? 06:00 start for a fod plod.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Apr 2016, 19:25
How about they give all us grey heads the chance to join in the fun and festivities?

Assemble at your nearest base at 0530 Monday morning, mill around in neat circles while OC Handbrake and OC Ops work out FOD plan. Mill round in opposite direction while they brief plan. Go for breakfast.

Mill around. Start plod. 1p for 10 fag ends, 5p for empty beer can, 10p for full one, 20p for used condom, £1 for loaded nappy, £5 per set of panties.

Debrief in hangar at 11, free beer at 1101, lunch at 12, carriages at 1, all passes revokes at 1.1

newt
22nd Apr 2016, 19:36
Ah the F-35C! Why not rename it to celebrate the 100th? Instead of Lightning 2 call it something like the Oribialis 1 or the Ugly Duckling! Better than Boaty McBoatface!

CoffmanStarter
22nd Apr 2016, 19:36
PN ... If a Full English breakfast ... I'm in :ok:

Pontius Navigator
22nd Apr 2016, 19:44
Coff, what else, double cholesterol on toast.

MPN11
23rd Apr 2016, 09:07
My dodgy back won't let me get involved in picking things up. May I supervise proceedings? I used to be quite good at doing that ;)

Melchett01
23rd Apr 2016, 09:53
My dodgy back won't let me get involved in picking things up. May I supervise proceedings? I used to be quite good at doing that ;)

Only if you're content to do it as an acting AVM for the duration. Standing up a 2-star appointment and associated HQ seems to be SOP for a 'project' these days.

MPN11
23rd Apr 2016, 17:57
Sounds good. With pay? I'm in. ;)