PDA

View Full Version : Medical

4Greens
1st Apr 2016, 19:56
A friend of mine wants to join the military. Is there a process where he can check he is ok medically before he starts this process? Its useful to find out if you are ok medically instead of doing the whole process and then finding out you are not ok medically. Colour blindness comes to mind.

taxydual
1st Apr 2016, 20:07
Get him to speak to his GP. He may have to put his hand in his pocket though.

Basil
1st Apr 2016, 20:19
Takes me back a few years.
Bas - 1964: "Doc, would I pass an RN pilot medical?"
Doc: "Well, I'm not an AME but there doesn't seem anything wrong with you. What sort of aeroplanes do you want to fly?"
Bas: "Big ones."
Doc: "The FAA don't have big ones. You should apply to the RAF."
Bas: "Oh, that's a good idea."

Mach the Knife
1st Apr 2016, 20:33
Go to the RAF website, select RAF Recruitment, then How to Apply, then Eligibilty check, then scroll down a bit and click health requirements. He can also do all of the other basic research while on the site.

switch_on_lofty
1st Apr 2016, 20:37
There will probably be a few screening hints on the RN/RAF websites.

More common are:
Eyesight - no glasses and not colour blind.
Asthma - none for years (number unknown). Watch out for hayfever too.
Musclo-skeletal - no joint problems
anthropomorphics - must fit in most cockpit.

The authoritative document is AP1269A - but this is not available to the public.

Try the CAA website which does list most potential issues but beware that mil standards are different to Civ. In some cases more restrictive, in some cases less so. Don't ask me why.

charliegolf
1st Apr 2016, 23:32
Colour blindness comes to mind.

Specsavers will do that for a few quid.

chinook240
2nd Apr 2016, 06:17
Hearing test might be worth taking, again Specsavers or similar, and would you believe my son was turned down for acne?

GipsyMagpie
2nd Apr 2016, 07:21
Doesn't anyone else know how to Google? (http://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1652/medical-conditions-that-preclude-entry.pdf)

All the conditions they look for are in this list. If you want to find out if you're color blind you can probably Google for the test too