PDA

View Full Version : heliEFB RISK Assessment expereince

Devil 49
31st Mar 2016, 17:01
iPad app being deployed by employer. Any comments?

Sloppy Link
31st Mar 2016, 18:41
iPad app being deployed by employer. Any comments?

Don't understand the question.......

Devil 49
31st Mar 2016, 18:51
Have you used this app?
Is the app intuitive, easy to use for someone without iPad experience?
Other than the operational control integration, does it offer benefit for a line pilot?

The heliEFB website isn't very informative.

EESDL
31st Mar 2016, 19:30
In what sector will you be using it?
Talk to those Dancopter pilots that are left - introduced it into the O&G sector after spotting it at Helitech - looks an ideal tool to provide realtime situation awareness blah blah

Devil 49
31st Mar 2016, 20:47
EESDL
Being deployed initially for risk assessment only in HEMS.

topik22
1st Apr 2016, 10:41
Hello...
is't possible to make any risk assesement before HEMS flight???
Probably no time for that....:(
Risk assesement before Your duty is not valid all the time...so how EFB could help? You can make it before each day on laptop or computer...:)
Greets
Jacek

Devil 49
1st Apr 2016, 17:28
Jacek,
Presently, we do it exactly as you describe, completing an initial risk assessment form at duty in and updating it as necessary. Thus, it is possible to make a risk assessment before any HEMS flight. A wise aviator carefully considers conditions and capability before any flight, although the term risk assessment is new to me. The formal risk assessment process documents this evaluation and required items to consider.

In the HEMS world one tracks conditions, trends and forecasts in the service area throughout the duty period and assesses that against existing capability. With that picture in mind, I have decided whether or not I can dispatch and the limits on accepting a transport before the request is received. When the request is received I confirm that opinion. This does not interfere with a timely response.

As to how an EFB assists in this process, I have no clue- I've never used this specific product, that's why I'm seeking information.

Line pilots have been informed that these will not be EFBs at this point. They are being fielded to comply with regulatory operational control compliance solely. The company operational control center will approve my flight request acceptance and dispatch with information submitted through the "heliEFB Risk" parameters that I provide via internet.

And now for an opinion based on 48 years in the air.
First point: Risk assessment is garbage in garbage out. If you don't know the existing conditions, you can't make an accurate assessment.
The numeric weighting on RA matrices is fluff. The difference between a risk assessment score of 13 and a 45 (both acceptable scores) is meaningless. Why do I care? Several low weighted items are, in my mind, no-go criteria.

In the end, it isn't weather ignorance, erroneous forecasts or poor planning that cause accidents. It's the failure to appreciate, rationally adapt to and safely deal with conditions encountered on the flight. Deal with what you have, not what you guessed you would have (the plan).

topik22
1st Apr 2016, 19:28
Hello Devil 49,
totally agree with You...:)
my questions are sometimes not direct...
If You have no time (we have 3 minutes for T/O) You have to hire wise aviator.
EFB is only nice device, but it can replace all papers on board...:) Thus reduce some lbs...
Greets
Jacek