PDA

View Full Version : C172RG t/o question?

flyby_kiwi
26th Jun 2002, 02:53
Having recently completed a rating on a C172RG I was wondering why in the aircraft manual the instructions for a shortfield takeoff are 10degress flap setting unless at max. all up weight in which case no flap at all should be used.

Seems unusual to me why this may be the case?

I thought prehaps it has something to do with the a/c centre of pressure and/or gravity, or prehaps due to (minor) difficulties catching the sink when retracting the flap at all up weight.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :confused: :confused:

Peanut Butter
26th Jun 2002, 10:17
Funny enough, like the RG all C172s should not use full flaps (10deg max) on all takeoffs even on max weight. I suspect like the Full flap overshoot situation the full flap+full power combination would create a scenario where low strength pilots could not control the nose pitching up and stall. (and crash)

flyby_kiwi
27th Jun 2002, 04:47
Cheers!

ZK-DAN
1st Jul 2002, 03:57
While we're on the subject of C172RG's, what sort of effects does flight with the u/c in the down position have on cruise performance? :confused:

Cheers
DaN

flyby_kiwi
1st Jul 2002, 07:58
Although Ive only a few hours on type, the only cruise performance difference with gear down is an understandibly lower airspeed.

Apart from a higher ASI - I dont think I would be able to tell weather the gear was up or down in terms of unusual attitudes or traits noticed so far, although having only ever flown fixed u/c in the past - I find the speed can get away on you if your not on the ball - particuarly when setting a slightly lower attitude for decent without bringing much power back.