PDA

View Full Version : There is bravery and there is bravery

NutLoose
26th Mar 2016, 19:15
Kudos to him and RIP

Russian 'Rambo' wipes out ISIS thugs by calling airstrike on HIMSELF when surrounded by Jihadi forces (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/russian-rambo-wipes-out-isis-thugs-by-calling-airstrike-on-himself-when-surrounded-by-jihadi-forces/ar-BBqXrW5?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=iehp)

BEagle
26th Mar 2016, 19:59
Indeed!

I hope that posthumous award of the Hero of the Russian Federation (Герой Российской Федерации) will be announced soon.

Wander00
26th Mar 2016, 20:06
That is some decision, and outstanding courage. I'm with Beagle on this one

barnstormer1968
26th Mar 2016, 20:30
Sitting very comfortably in an arm chair it would be quite easy to say that he took the easy option and devised a less painful death.
Knowing the real world as it exists away from armchairs etc his decision to call the strike on himself was monumental. This wasn't a split second decision so he had time to way up all of his options and yet chose to overcome the strongest human desire, that of survival. History shows us that in similar situations almost all people choose to hope for saviour or escape.
RIP to him, thoughts for his loved ones. We can only hope that at least one of the aircrew in the air strike was female and if so that the Russians publicise that fact.

My thoughts go out to the aircrew(s) involved here as well. They were given a horrendous task, and one that other aircrew have refused in the past.

Lantern10
26th Mar 2016, 20:34
A true hero in every sense of the word.

Wageslave
27th Mar 2016, 10:57
Assuming, of course, that the tale is true and not just more bolshie propaganda...

Aynayda Pizaqvick
27th Mar 2016, 13:54
To be fair, I'd do the same rather than be taken alive by ISIS and burned alive on TV!

27th Mar 2016, 21:33
If true, then heroism of the highest order - but the chance of a 'red on red' miscalculation can't be discounted.

flash8
27th Mar 2016, 23:12
Assuming, of course, that the tale is true and not just more bolshie propaganda...

The time will come, sooner or later, that we see the Russians as our true allies. Believe me I work with them daily and far more unites us than separates us, there are few others I'd like to have by my side when the **** ****s the fan )))

tmmorris
27th Mar 2016, 23:13
The Russians, possibly. But Putin?

Hangarshuffle
28th Mar 2016, 19:44
Russian military is suddenly receiving articles of a more reflective nature from our wonderful UK press.
Vladimir Putin pounding Syria with deadly arsenal as Russia drives Isis out of Palmyra | Daily Mail Online (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-3458709/World-s-quietest-submarine-cruise-missiles-smart-bombs-deadly-arsenal-Putin-using-pound-Syria-Russia-s-awesome-firepower-drives-Isis-Palmyra.html)
Todays Independent also highlighted Russian success in getting ISIS on the run somewhere in Syria..
edited to add the military hardware on display here in the DM is seriously impressive looking. Is it true, you Prune experts? Have the Russians taken a surge forward in all areas?

KenV
29th Mar 2016, 14:26
The time will come, sooner or later, that we see the Russians as our true allies. I believe that for that to happen, the Russians would have to see NATO as an ally and neither a threat nor a rival. That seems highly unlikely for the foreseeable future.

uffington sb
29th Mar 2016, 15:20
According to the DM article, the SU-24 can climb at a rate if 29,000 feet a second!!!!

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2016, 16:44
According to the DM article, the SU-24 can climb at a rate if 29,000 feet a second!!!!
And academics say that Maths is irrelevant to an Arts degree.

Despite the withdrawal of some of the 6,000 military personnel now in country,

How can they have withdrawn them if they are Now in country? Did they return?

Stanwell
29th Mar 2016, 22:57

That'd push you back into your seat, wouldn't it?
Some news for the Daily Fail reporter and editor - that should read feet per minute, dumkopfs.
(Not that I think it would make any difference to the typical DM readership.)

For comparison, the MiG-21 (FF,1956) has a ROC of a bit over 44,000 fpm.
The final version of the English Electric Lightning (FF,1957) could manage 50,000 fpm.

NutLoose
30th Mar 2016, 22:56
They have named the guy killed, a family man too :sad:

Russian 'Rambo' revealed as dad-to-be Alexander Prokhorenko who bravely called airstike on himself as ISIS thugs surrounded him (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/russian-rambo-revealed-as-dad-to-be-alexander-prokhorenko-who-bravely-called-airstike-on-himself-as-isis-thugs-surrounded-him/ar-BBr5ft7?li=BBoPRmx&ocid=iehp)

Royalistflyer
31st Mar 2016, 21:58
Just for the record, the documents have been released showing that Russia applied to JOIN NATO right at the beginning, but was turned down. My understanding is that they would seriously look at joining now. And yes, I have daily contact with Russians working on the same matters, and in my view Mr Putin is about the only leader I would trust.

BossEyed
31st Mar 2016, 22:14
Just for the record, the documents have been released showing that Russia applied to JOIN NATO right at the beginning, but was turned down.

<Chucks away all my 20th Century history books>

Tankertrashnav
31st Mar 2016, 22:14
The Russians, possibly. But Putin?

I'd go along with flash8. I spent 3 months living with a Russian family and mixing with Russians on a daily basis (not in a military situation). I really got on with them as a people, and on an individual basis I really warmed to them. The trouble is that as a society Russia is plagued with endemic corruption, which stretches right down to having to bribe the lady at the railway ticket counter to sell you a ticket which she has no right to deny you, or producing "documents" (ie a few dollar bills) when you were stopped by the traffic police for some invented infraction of the rules.

I have no doubt this corruption goes right to the top, so my only question is "if not Putin, who?"

BEagle
1st Apr 2016, 07:37
Ignoring irrelevant off-topic comments about corruption, has there been any further news about this incident?

Hopefully there'll be a posthumous award for this brave chap.

NutLoose
1st Apr 2016, 08:49
Russian Special Forces Soldier Calls Airstrike On Himself As He Is Surrounded By ISIS Fighters, Awarded Highest Honor Posthumously (http://www.inquisitr.com/2943129/russian-special-forces-soldier-calls-airstrike-on-himself-as-he-is-surrounded-by-isis-fighters-awarded-highest-honor-posthumously/)

Alexander Prokhorenko died in the airstrike, but his death has not gone unnoticed in his home country. The soldier is being awarded the highest honor in Russia, the Hero of Russia award, posthumously. The award is slated to be handed to Prokhorenko’s family by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Read more at Russian Special Forces Soldier Calls Airstrike On Himself As He Is Surrounded By ISIS Fighters, Awarded Highest Honor Posthumously (http://www.inquisitr.com/2943129/russian-special-forces-soldier-calls-airstrike-on-himself-as-he-is-surrounded-by-isis-fighters-awarded-highest-honor-posthumously/#rAfTdW4fFDHQ8lGv.99)

Royalistflyer
1st Apr 2016, 09:34
As is just and proper for someone who would act so bravely.

Robert Cooper
1st Apr 2016, 20:37
The Russian JTAC officer that died in Syria on March 19 reportedly ordering an airstrike on himself to take as many enemy fighters with him and not be captured alive has been identified as Lieutenant Alexander Prokhorenko, 25 from the village of Gorodki in the Orenburg region of Russia.
This transcript of the radio transmissions between the Lt and his command during the build up to the ordering of the airstrike was lifted from the "semi-official Kremlin website Pravda.ru".
Prokhorenko : command I am compromised, I repeat I am compromised.
Command: Please say again and confirm.
Prokhorenko : They have spotted me, there are shooting everywhere, I am pinned, requesting immediate extraction.
Command: Extraction request acknowledged.
Prokhorenko : Please hurry I am low on ammo, they seem to [be]everywhere, I can’t hold them for too long please hurry.
Command: Confirmed, hold them off, continue returning fire, retreat to a safe position, air support is monitoring, state your coordinates
Prokhorenko : [gives coordinates which are blurred in the transcript]
Command: [command repeats coordinates which are blurred.]Confirm
Prokhorenko : Confirmed, please hurry I am low on ammo, they are surroundig me, bastards!
Command: ETA on evacuation 12 minutes, return to the green line, I repeat return to the green line.
Prokhorenko : They are close, I am surrounded, this may be the end, tell my family I love them dearly.
Command: Return to the green line, continue returning fire, help is on the way, followed by air support.
Prokhorenko : Negative, I am surrounded, they are so many of these bastards!
Command: Extract ETA 10 minutes, return to the green line.
Prokhorenko : I can’t they have surrounded me and are closing in, please hurry.
Command: return to the green line, I repeat return to the green line.
Prokhorenko : They are outside, conduct the airstrike now please hurry, this is the end, tell my family I love them and i died fighting for my motherland.
Command: Negative, return to the green line.
Prokhorenko : Unable command, I am surrounded, they are outside, I don’t want them to take me and parade me, conduct the airstrike, they will make a mockery of me and this uniform. I want to die with dignity and take all these bastards with me. please my last wish, conduct the airstrike, they will kill me either way.
Command: Please confirm your request.
Prokhorenko : They [are] outside, this is the end commander, thank you, tell my family and my country I love them. Tell them I was brave and I fought until I could no longer. Please take care of my family, avenge my death, good bye commander, tell my family I love them!
Command: [No response, orders the airstrike]
No doubt we've all seen this guy in the news, but just read this. Fair play to the guy. That takes serious courage. R.I.P Lieutenant Alexander Prokhorenko.

:sad::ok:

skippedonce
1st Apr 2016, 23:18
I sometimes weary of my own scepticism of possible Russian Info Ops. Assuming the account is accurate, Lt Alexander Prokhorenko deserves our greatest respect, and the acknowledgement and (in this case posthumous) reward of his country. Commiserations to his family.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Apr 2016, 09:22
Ignoring irrelevant off-topic comments about corruption, has there been any further news about this incident?

My comment was as a response to both flash8 and tmmorris's posts. I don't think that when discussing any incident in the Russian military, consideration of the type of society that military is drawn from is irrelevant. The Russian response to the shooting down of the Malaysian Airlines Airbus over the Ukraine, with subsequent suppression of evidence do not lead to confidence in accepting their version of events such as these where independent corroboration is absent. I echo skippedonce's sentiments "Assuming the account is accurate..."

skydiver69
2nd Apr 2016, 09:34
Does anyone else think that the transcript quoted by Robert and taken from Pravda is a little too Hollywood to be be true? I've never been surrounded and shot at but I'd imagine that the last thing on my mind would be a long speech extolling the virtues of the Motherland.

Bigbux
2nd Apr 2016, 22:22
It sounded quite plausible up to the bit when dishonouring his uniform became his prime concern.

More like, his own fast air dropped on him by mistake, or rather than have a Russian paraded and beheaded, the order to drop on him was given.

The repeated order by control to get back to the green line, despite having been told that was not possible also stinks of a fabricated legal defence.

The poor sod probably asked for assistance but was denied it, or it went wrong.