PDA

View Full Version : QR and hematuria

Fancypantss
24th Mar 2016, 19:41
Hey guys, I used the search function but I did not quite get the answer I was looking for. Years ago I discovered I suffer from micro hematuria, which is microscopic blood in the urine. I went to the doctor and I did all of the medical tests required to be diagnosed and I was told I had a slight deformation in the glomeruli which is a filter inside the kidney. I was told it was nothing major, that did not require any treatment nor medication, and that I could continue flying as if nothing would have happened.

Long story short, I've been invited for assessment in Doha in may, and I was wondering if I should say something then, o later. I'm allowed to fly with that condition in my country under our aviation authority's regulations, as I'm currently employed, but I've been told QR does not offer employment until they receive the resignation letter from your current employer. I would regret very much having resigned my job qnd then and then Not being being accepted to QR. Do you think I'll be allowed to fly?

Inputs will be very much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Fancypantss

kungfu panda
24th Mar 2016, 21:37
Hey guys, I used the search function but I did not quite get the answer I was looking for. Years ago I discovered I suffer from micro hematuria, which is microscopic blood in the urine. I went to the doctor and I did all of the medical tests required to be diagnosed and I was told I had a slight deformation in the glomeruli which is a filter inside the kidney. I was told it was nothing major, that did not require any treatment nor medication, and that I could continue flying as if nothing would have happened.

Long story short, I've been invited for assessment in Doha in may, and I was wondering if I should say something then, o later. I'm allowed to fly with that condition in my country under our aviation authority's regulations, as I'm currently employed, but I've been told QR does not offer employment until they receive the resignation letter from your current employer. I would regret very much having resigned my job qnd then and then Not being being accepted to QR. Do you think I'll be allowed to fly?

Inputs will be very much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Fancypantss

I think the best thing is to be totally honest with the QR medical department. bring all the historical documentation that you have regarding this condition. Their CAA will probably require annual checks from a Nephrologist to confirm the situation is stable with no loss of kidney function.

Sallytraffic
24th Mar 2016, 21:53
http://www.caa.gov.qa/sites/default/files/QCAR_MED%20Q02%20J05.pdf

Not sure if it's in there but might be worth a read....

megan
25th Mar 2016, 03:04
I've been told QR does not offer employment until they receive the resignation letter from your current employerWhy would you burn a bridge with no guarantee you have a job to go to? Must be an extraordinary carrot they dangle!!!

ironbutt57
25th Mar 2016, 05:41
the way it happened for me, was after the initial screening, I was offered the position...and told NOT to resign at this juncture...QR will tell you when it's ok to resign, meaning all security checks etc...etc..have been satisfactorily completed..

tomuchwork
25th Mar 2016, 09:42
Just changed employer - of course you just sign after you receive a signed contract from the new employer. Everything else is, let's say it nicely, risky.

When I joined QR I had no such letter. Only thing I had was a reference letter from my previous employer and having that must not mean that you resigned.
If I would have a choice with ANY ME carrier I would just ask for long term unpaid leave and then see if it is really for you.

I know that there are pilots around down there just being on a kind of leave from their present employer and as soon as they need them again they will head back in their home country. Will not specify that of course.

Best and , IMHO, the only way to do it down there. Have always a backup plan.

Cuillin Hills
25th Mar 2016, 10:46
I had an offer of DEC.

The starting date came, after waiting 8 months, at minimum notice period.

They continued to make demands, after the notice period commenced, that hadn't been stated earlier in the process (6 months+ on the IR - problem when you are on EASA ATQP - and 6 months+ on the medical). All of this had been satisfactory (and met their requirements) when interviewed.

I was happy to meet these demands but wasn't prepared to give my notice in to my employer whilst there were still outstanding demands.

I had (and still have) a full, current licence needless to say.

They insist on a written, agreed termination date from your previous employer that is prior to your joining date.

Resigning is a brave thing to do when they are making continuous demands whilst working your notice period.

If I couldn't have met any of their demands, prior to joining date, they wouldn't have let me travel out to Doha (and I wouldn't have had a job to go back to).

I am still here, in Europe, and happy with my decision.

As someone said - welcome to the Middle East.

I would take advice if you have doubts about passing a Qatari Initial Class 1 medical - expensive mistake if you don't pass it.