PDA

View Full Version : A320 Eng Fail ECAM sequence

Enzo999
24th Mar 2016, 19:12
Just been in the sim and noticed that in this particular sim the Eng Shut down procedure was a sub section within the Eng Fail procedure so when you clear the Eng fail procedure it also removes the shut down procedure. This lead to both myself and my colleague missing putting the transponder to TA only.

Now I am sure this has never happened to me before and I am convinced it's because the Shut down procedure should be a separate procedure that needs to be actioned and cleared independently of the failure procedure.

Was wondering if maybe the ECAM logic was changed in the newer aircraft or if the sim was plain wrong or maybe I am going mad and just looking for excuses?

Hope the above makes sense, it's a bit hard to explain without seeing it.

Cheers all

tubby linton
24th Mar 2016, 21:07
Was it a sim in Crawley? One of them is of a very old standard?

Enzo999
24th Mar 2016, 21:38
Was it a sim in Crawley? One of them is of a very old standard?

No it was an old one in Woodford Manchester.

tubby linton
24th Mar 2016, 22:26
If you were flying relatively fast and consequently had a high windmilling N2 then the Ecam may not recognise the failure.

RUMBEAR
25th Mar 2016, 02:11
Hi Enzo,

What you describe about the ECAM relating to engine failure is correct in my experience. When I first transitioned to the Airbus I has difficulty finding an instructor to explain the ECAM handling for this but I will give it a go in writing (its much easier in person!!!).

As you would be aware when their are multiple ECAM faults we must follow the sequence of ACTION then CLEAR for each fault. So the main question is what is a fault for the purpose of ECAM handling?

When an engine failure is recognized the ECAM enters a fault mode and displays ENG 1(2) FAIL. When the PM actions the ENG MASTER.......OFF this will trigger an associated procedure (i.e. SHUTDOWN). As the SHUTDOWN procedure does not have a system title displayed (i.e. ENG) it is considered part of the original ENG 1(2) FAIL procedure.

So to summarize the ENG FAIL and SHUTDOWN are considered the same procedure for ECAM handling purposes which means if you select CLR mid way through the procedure you will clear items that may not be actioned.

The FCOM shows this concept at DSC-31-25-20. This example is for HYD B RSVR OVHT, however when the BLUE ELEC PUMP....OFF is actioned it triggers an associated procedure (B SYS LO PR) which like the SHUTDOWN example does not has a system title listed adjacent to it on the ECAM. Therefore is the same procedure for ECAM handling purposes.

Just to clarify when I say "same procedure" it is for ECAM handling purposes. They are obviously different procedures though.

Hope that helps

mcdhu
25th Mar 2016, 09:03
Enzo999
Your problem may be caused by the fact that you are clearing "ENG 1.....FAIL" to take you down to the "ENG 1 SHUTDOWN" box.
Pressing the "clear' button will clear to the next underlined item thus erasing everything to do with "ENG 1....FAIL" including the boxed item which is there to show you that you have a Primary Failure and that there will therefore be Secondary failures.
I hope this helps you.
mcdhu

no slot
25th Mar 2016, 09:21
From day one I was instructed to only ever clear from underline to underline. That way all items will be complete. Anytime I do ECAM actions since it has made sense. " Clear underline to underline "

Might help, best of luck.