PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

Hughes500
23rd Mar 2016, 20:42
Guys
Advice please

Got fed up with the sh1t Gill batteries, latest one failed capacity check after 27 months having started the helicopter less than 70 times, the other 700 starts and every first start of the day done from a remote pack.
Who uses what to start an Allison and how long does it last

Cheers

helofixer
23rd Mar 2016, 22:12
Concord sealed lead acids in our 206B 206L4 407. We get 18-24 months out of them. In my humble opinion the capacity checks are what kill lead acids. Yes maintenance free but having to do a cap check every 200 hours/12 months shortens the life. Ill still take them over NiCad, but im not the one footing the bill.

SuperF
24th Mar 2016, 10:20
We run some Australian mod batteries in our JR. They seem to go pretty good, I think they have a short mandatory replacement, might be two years, but batteries are still really good when we remove them.

Pretty cheap as well, last bill was about $1200, so converted to any real currency it would equal about 2 pints of lager!

Pm me if interested and I will c what I can find out for you.

wrench1
24th Mar 2016, 14:01
2nd Concord battery. Have a check done to ensure no parasitic drains in aircraft electric sys. First start of day with ext cart whenever possible. If on 3rd start attempt get ext cart--on average after two attempts lead acid batteries can become permanently tweaked. Don't fiddle with GPS after shutdown, plus any extended drain (eg. fuel valve left on, etc.) will reduce useful battery life. 70 starts in 27 months is not a lot, but that's a long time for a batt to sit without use and installed/connected. Good luck. W1

corey137
24th Mar 2016, 14:24
Tesla? Industries Inc | TI59 Aircraft Dry-Cell Battery (http://www.teslaind.com/products-mpu-ti59-aircraft-dry-cell-battery.php)

I've heard good things about these, but I don't think they are TSO'd... Bummer

FLY 7
24th Mar 2016, 22:51
Do most people disconnect the battery after shut down?

helofixer
25th Mar 2016, 15:31
Some of our customers do some don't. We don't on a daily basis and haven't seen any issues but we fly on a regular basis with 3-8 starts a day when we do.

Jabberwocky82
25th Mar 2016, 20:32
Probably thinking of Odyssey batteries SuperF?