PDA

View Full Version : Algeria to receive Mi-28NE Night Attack Hunter

chopper2004
23rd Mar 2016, 14:20
http://www.janes.com/article/58933/algeria-to-get-dual-control-mi-28-helicopters

The Mil Mi-28NE Night Hunter attack helicopters that Algeria has ordered will have dual controls, the Interfax news agency cited a source in Russia's arms export structures as saying on 18 March.

The source said the dual-control variant had been specifically developed for Algeria and that the North African country ordered about 40 Mi-28NEs. The Russian media has previously reported that Algeria ordered 42 Mi-28NE attack

Journalists were shown a Mi-28NE with dual controls when they visited Rostvertol plant on 16 March. On that day the TASS news agency quoted Rostvetol's deputy managing director Vadim Barannikov as saying that the Russian Ministry of Defence was expected to order a dual-control Mi-28UB training variant in the near future that will be similar to the dual-control Mi-28NE export version.

Algeria will be the third Mi-28N operator after Iraq and Russia. Barannikov said "two or three" other countries are currently in negotiations to buy the attack helicopter and that the new dual-control version should help attract more customers.

KenV
23rd Mar 2016, 14:57
Barannikov said "two or three" other countries are currently in negotiations to buy the attack helicopter and that the new dual-control version should help attract more customers. What makes the dual controls attractive to some customers? Seems like an unnecessary complication to me. To me its like giving a tank gunner controls to be able to drive the tank. Why would that be a good thing?

chopper2004
23rd Mar 2016, 18:35
in case of incapacitation......

Lonewolf_50
24th Mar 2016, 13:24
What makes the dual controls attractive to some customers? Seems like an unnecessary complication to me. To me its like giving a tank gunner controls to be able to drive the tank. Why would that be a good thing?
Attack helicopters tend be close to ground fire.
An example that I am personally familiar with ... got hit with a silver BB while supporting Marines during OIF, July 2004. LTC Davis Greene (http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/marine-lt-col-david-s-greene/282437).

Greene piloted AH-1W Cobra helicopters. “The aircraft he was flying in took ground fire” on Wednesday in Anbar province and Greene was hit, Parker said. “There’s no information with regards to what sort of action he was supporting. There’s no information with regards to whether there was an ambush.” A co-pilot aboard the two-seat chopper landed the Cobra, Parker said.

West Coast
24th Mar 2016, 15:52
Small, but important point to Marines. LtCol, LTC I believe is how the army and perhaps the AF abbreviates it.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...

Trim Stab
25th Mar 2016, 09:05
What makes the dual controls attractive to some customers?

I don't know specifically about the Algerian Air Force, but most African air forces do not fly even the simplest aircraft single-pilot. Pilots never fly solo during their training, and just build experience as a co-pilot on their type until judged ready to be captain.