PDA

View Full Version : Expensive to change equipment?

heliwatcher
22nd Mar 2016, 18:08
How expensive is it to change a helicopter from an offshore configuration to a SAR or EMS role?

Any thoughts about how much excess capacity in offshore could be used in other roles?

Thanks!

whoknows idont
23rd Mar 2016, 05:38
How long is a piece of string?

nowherespecial
23rd Mar 2016, 08:49
Depends what kind of kit and whether you're installing an off the shelf fit for EMS or custom.

Hint - off the shelf is cheaper.

Anywhere from $0 (rip seats out and use hardpoints to lock down stretchers) up to $1m depending (full EMS including rotating stretcher points and defibs etc).

Also depends a lot on the ac type. Some ac (EC135) are basically born to do this kind of work. Moding an S92 would be harder because of size/ scale.

As whoknows alludes to, depends on your exact requirement and what you/ your customer wants as to how 'long' your budget needs to be.

TorqueOfTheDevil
23rd Mar 2016, 08:55
The most difficult aspect would be convincing somebody that they need an extra SAR/HEMS aircraft - not much point in re-roling O&G aircraft unless a definite need for airframes in another role has been identified. And if a definite need has been identified, does the requirement call for a large aircraft or a smaller cheaper one?

Kulwin Park
23rd Mar 2016, 11:50
I would think just standard labour rates, and loads of paperwork for someone.
But there are plenty of S76's going around from offshore that would make great EMS machines

heliwatcher
23rd Mar 2016, 13:14
I should have been more precise in my question. How much would it be for a S76?

tottigol
23rd Mar 2016, 16:28
Depends, the FAA only requires a stretcher and O2 to make a helicopter into a basic ambulance.
There are companies that specialize in designing and completing aeromedical interiors: Metro in Louisiana, Air Methods in Colorado and I believe what used to be Edwards & Associates in Tennessee among others.
Won't be cheap though!