PDA

View Full Version : BZ to SAC Mitchley

Lima Juliet
20th Mar 2016, 11:49
Very well done! :D:D:D:D

Top Bravery Awards for Royal Air Force?s Thames Rescue Hero (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/top-bravery-awards-for-royal-air-forces-thames-rescue-hero-18032016)

SAC Mitchley was part of a team from the RAF’s 54(R) Squadron visiting London to learn about the RAF’s history when the team heard cries for help from a woman stricken in the Thames near Westminster Bridge. At great risk to himself SAC Mitchley dived in to the treacherously choppy waters, struggling against a strong current to reach the woman while she struggled to keep her head above the water. At one point he had to dive beneath the water to secure the woman to a life buoy so that other RAF team-mates could haul her to safety.

SAC Mitchley, who serves with the RAF’s 54 (R) Squadron, said: “I’m very honoured and very proud. I’m no hero; it was a spur of the moment decision, but not one I regret in the slightest. If I came across a similar situation I’d do the same again without hesitation.”

In addition to the Queen’s Commendation for Bravery, SAC Mitchley is to receive the Royal Humane Society’s prestigious Testimonial on Vellum, signed by HRH Princess Alexandria, for his actions. RAF Waddington’s Station Commander, Group Captain Al Marshall, said: “SAC Mitchley is an outstanding airman and a credit to the Service. His response in entering the Thames to save a member of the public was an act of outstanding courage in the face of very dangerous river conditions. His actions were exemplary and selfless. He is truly deserving of his commendation from Her Majesty the Queen.”

Wander00
20th Mar 2016, 12:04
Well done that man - very well deserved award.

CoffmanStarter
20th Mar 2016, 16:10
Very well done and many congratulations on the QCfB :D:D:D:D

MPN11
20th Mar 2016, 17:00
Oh, a VERY large BZ to that man!!

The Thames is a seriously dangerous bit of water, although I suspect his prime concern was helping save a life. Well deserved.

Failed_Scopie
20th Mar 2016, 18:38
Seconded; it is no coincidence that there is a Lifeboat Station on the Embankment by Waterloo Bridge.

GeeRam
21st Mar 2016, 09:57
Deserved QCfB.... :ok:

As an aside, my late father was awarded the QCfB, or QCfBC as it was then, in 1974 and was presented it by Marshall of the Royal Air Force, The Lord Elworthy.

Wander00
21st Mar 2016, 10:37
Other than Spurn Point, the Thames RNLI stations are I believe the only ones with all permanent paid staff (some others have a paid engineer), and they are the busiest in the UK

Chugalug2
21st Mar 2016, 17:12
In the best traditions of the Service! Well done, SAC Mitchley, you make an old man's chest swell with pride!

Pure Pursuit
22nd Mar 2016, 00:22
I'm sure that you will all be delighted to hear that SM has recently been promoted to Cpl.

An incredibly brave young man who has been very modest about the whole event...apart from shouting 'AOC's Commendation' as he launched himself off the embankment! ;-)

Well done matey, fully deserved!!!

Tocsin
22nd Mar 2016, 14:30
Ah, so it's actually a Queen's Commendation for (well-timed) Banter :)

Doubly well done, for both bravery and wit!

Tankertrashnav
22nd Mar 2016, 17:01
PPRuNe is nothing if not educational. I had no idea what BZ meant in this context, but a bit of time spent on the much derided but amazingly useful Google site came up with the answer (a naval signal meaning "well done"). Never come across that before.

Didn't explain why BZ though :confused:

Wander00
22nd Mar 2016, 17:20
TTN - thanks so much -clearly more moral courage than I - I was going to ask but thought "everyone else seems to know, I'll just look an idiot. Something will turn up". It did, many thanks.

Lima Juliet
22nd Mar 2016, 20:41
U.S. Navy: The meaning of "Bravo Zulu" (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/questions/bzulu.html)

The term originates from the Allied Signals Book (ATP 1), which in the aggregate is for official use only. Signals are sent as letters and/or numbers, which have meanings by themselves sometimes or in certain combinations. A single table in ATP 1 is called "governing groups," that is, the entire signal that follows the governing group is to be performed according to the "governor." The letter "B" indicates this table, and the second letter (A through Z) gives more specific information. For example, "BA" might mean "You have permission to . . . (do whatever the rest of the flashing light, flag hoist or radio transmission says) "BZ" happens to be the last item in the governing groups table. It means "well done".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravo_Zulu

https://media.licdn.com/media/p/4/000/12f/2ec/28f9ecb.png

CoffmanStarter
22nd Mar 2016, 21:01
Leon ... Bravo Zulu for your Bravo Zulu ... Out ;)

Tankertrashnav
22nd Mar 2016, 22:40
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What that man said :ok:

Wander 00 - the older I get, the less bothered about looking an idiot I get ;)

Courtney Mil
22nd Mar 2016, 23:12
It would be nice if Corporal Mitchley were aware of the good wishes here.

A credit to the RAF. Very well done.

Pure Pursuit
23rd Mar 2016, 12:18
CM,

Fully agree and I have pointed him towards this thread.

Wander00
23rd Mar 2016, 13:46
TTN - how correct you are. Memo to self - must try harder!