PDA

View Full Version : ADF with English second language

itabruce
20th Mar 2016, 05:58
hi guys,
just wondering how many of you ADF pilot applicants have English as their second language.
It'd be interesting to understand this aspect (at least for me :hmm:)
I'm Italian btw :)

Trim Stab
20th Mar 2016, 19:46
All Australians have English as a second-language. You should fit in without a problem.

Chugalug2
21st Mar 2016, 08:20
itabruce:-
I'm Italian btw

Not knowing anything about this process, if your application is successful will you then be Australian, or still Italian? Presumably you are willing to fight, and potentially die, for Australia. Is that not the ultimate sign of national identity, rather than merely what might be one's native language? Yes, I am aware that Italians, as well as many other non-English speaking nationalities, emigrated to Australia in the past and assumed their new identity with pride.

Sorry about drifting the thread from the start, it's just that I am intrigued by the implication that the ADF is recruiting as though it were merely an airline, where a good command of English is a requirement...

Basil
21st Mar 2016, 10:58
Slightly off topic, but I never had any doubts about the loyalty or readiness to fight of our RAF Polish aircrew.

Courtney Mil
21st Mar 2016, 12:01
I doubt that being bilingual would be a limiting factor for any Air Force as long as the candidate's proficiency in the language they want is sufficiently high.

Nationality may be another matter entirely.

itabruce
21st Mar 2016, 13:12
Chugalug2

ADF requires to be a citizen but can start the process while one is permanent resident provided he/she will acquire the citizenship asap if not already applied for.

I am aware of the possible implications, and that's why I thought it could be interesting to share it here.

That said, I always wanted to serve, but for a bunch of circumstances I didn't do it before. Now Australia is what I call home. It gave me and it keeps giving me opportunities I could only dream about..
It feels like giving something back I guess...

I think when it's about the "western world" nationality is a bit secondary. Not sure how to express this concept but in few words Europe Australia and US are all on the the same side.

Pontius Navigator
21st Mar 2016, 21:59
Itabruce, allies may be but it does not surmount nationality. One reason is for background security checks. Have you looked at the RAAF sticky at the top?

Skymong
22nd Mar 2016, 09:16
hi guys,
just wondering how many of you ADF pilot applicants have English as their second language.
It'd be interesting to understand this aspect (at least for me :hmm:)
I'm Italian btw :)

A friend of mine who was of Italian/Swiss origin was accepted for ADF pilot training, though she spoke English as well as anyone else in the ADF.

itabruce
23rd Mar 2016, 05:00
Pontius Navigator

spoke to recruiter officers and they said nationality is not a problem as long as citizenship will be acquired asap. It's also stated on the adf website.