PDA

View Full Version : Preferences for EASA PPL-H course

Like Rain
18th Mar 2016, 13:04
Hi everyone,

I'm orientating where I want to follow a course to get my EASA PPL-H license.
But I find it very hard to straighten things out.

Hopefully you guys can give an helping hand / some advice.

I'm not looking for the cheapest way or with job prospects.
But I prefer an experienced Instructor (with the right 'click') and a country that will give me both a wonderful experience aswel as a good learning environment.

I'm in the position to follow an fulltime course with a maximum of +/- 8 weeks.

A recognized flight school will be an added bonus, but isn't a pre.

How would you're top 3 EASA Heli FlightSchools look like?

And what would be the minimum flight hours you prefer you're flight instructor to have?

I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Have a nice weekend :ok:

Hughes500
18th Mar 2016, 13:17
Most important things to look at

1. Instructor who has been around a bit so has the experience of loads of different situations. So someone who has instructed for 500 plus hours, has loads of time on the machine you are going to learn in. Has done utility work in a machine as well as pax carriage. Ex military guys make good instructors as they will have seen and done most things plus they will have been through a rigorous selection process so will be very good stick men.
2. Keep the same instructor for the whole time
3. Somewhere where the weather is changeable so you experience mother nature, no good flying in blue skies every day
4. Type of helicopter where instructor WILL do engine off landings, run on landings with pedals stuck at nearly full deflection
5. In an area where you can fly where there are open spaces for better continuation training without too much civilisation and controlled airspace

Most important do you get on with your instructor as you are really a team, if the team doesn't work ...............

Good luck

Mustapha Cuppa
18th Mar 2016, 14:27
A recognized flight school will be an added bonus, but isn't a pre.

What do you mean by this?

hueyracer
18th Mar 2016, 16:09
I can recommend "Heli NRW" in Germany......

Donīt look for the "adventure" while flying-look for a guy that teaches you to fly the aircraft, and a company that afterwards will allow you to fly their aircraft (not all will do this)...

In addition to that, pick a school that can connect you with other aviators and/or companies.......you never know when you will need those contacts...

Thracian
18th Mar 2016, 16:26
Skyheli in Trebbin (near Berlin), Germany would also work quite well.
They use a H300 for initial training, but also have AS355, if you like ;-)

Very experienced instructors (some are ex mil), and during my annual TRE in 2012 we did runons, full down autos, 70° turns, ...

Have fun

Thracian

HeliRotor
18th Mar 2016, 16:29
You should also think about which aircraft you would like to fly. Just thinking about the most popular aircraft but your top choices are either R22 or Cabri G2. Once you know that, then look for the school with the most experience in dealing with that helicopter and what they can offer you other than best price.

I agree with Hughes500, pick somewhere with changeable weather, will make you a better pilot with good judgement of your surroundings.

Best of luck

Heli2
18th Mar 2016, 16:43
I would have thought most people train at one, maybe two schools so generally would not have experience of multiple schools so would be hard to recommend their top three. To be honest you probably need to narrow your parameters. Decide on location first, then find nearest training school with a good reputation.
Not sure Ex Military is something I would focus on, there are some good Ex-Military and some not so good Ex-Military, but I do agree with the rest of what Hughes500 says. I would add to his list though that it is important to check the school has well maintained modern helicopters. I would recommend going to a small school with high hour instructors who offer a personal services.

KNIEVEL77
18th Mar 2016, 18:02
Interesting thread.
Would it be unwise to use an instructor who has only just become instructor rated on a new machine meaning that they would have limited hours on that machine?
Or perhaps that is a rhetorical question?

Heli2
18th Mar 2016, 20:14
Actually, having thought a little more about Hughes500's very good points, I think I would say 2 instructors (no more) would be best over the course. The passing down of two peoples knowledge and experience is beneficial and also very useful as checkpoints through out the course. What are other people's thoughts?

Thracian
18th Mar 2016, 21:39
Well, I had a "checkout" from a different instructor just before my first solo. So, yes, a a second opinion (before first solo, before exam) could be helpful and should be offered.

Thracian

GipsyMagpie
18th Mar 2016, 22:22
Type...if I were to start again I would only go to a school that had Guimbal Cabri G2. I have flown over 30 types of helicopter (not including sub-variants) including R22 and Schweizer and the G2 is a far better piston training platform that any of the rest. When you use that to shortlist schools, then look for decent (time isnt everything) instructors, moderate sized fleet and personal recommendation. Of course if your future job is going to be on R22, R44 then use it for basic. Second choice Schweizer (so look at Bristows in USA) but G2 first.

bladegrabber
18th Mar 2016, 22:55
I would go and do it with Hughes500 in Devon U.K. :ok:

whoknows idont
19th Mar 2016, 04:54
Well, I had a "checkout" from a different instructor just before my first solo. So, yes, a a second opinion (before first solo, before exam) could be helpful and should be offered.

I thought that was mandatory before first solo?

whoknows idont
19th Mar 2016, 22:01
... or
c) they are used to someone else teaching the theory and doing the briefing and expect you to step onto the pad, knowing everything already. Getting highly impatient if you don't. Also this guy was very impatient when I took my time for a thorough pre-flight inspection... He was used to someone else doing it for him, then just kick the tires, light the fires...

I had four instructors. Two civilian, two ex-mil. The only bad egg was one of the ex-mil guys and he was a retired military instructor. The other three were awesome! So 2-1 for the civies in my case...

Like Rain
24th Mar 2016, 23:54
Thank you for all the responses.

With a recognized flight school will be an added bonus, but isn't a pre.
I meant, A school with a good reputation in the offshore or something like that would be nice.
But isn't a essential requirement.

I know time isn't everything but stil I prefer an instructor that has a certain amount of hours.
But what would be good and reasonable directive?
Both minimum total flight hours and minimum instruction hours?

I don't specific stick with ex military, a good 'click' is the preference.
If it is an ex military that's fine, but if it isn't an ex military that's also fine to me.
Like Hughes500 said you need to be a good 'team'
For me that is an very valuable aspect

I need to rethink which type of helicopter I prefer to get my training on.
Somehow I see the Robinsons 'separated' from the other helicopters cause of there specific control system.
Am I mistaken ? :oh:

And if you guys agree, what would be preferred
First 'normal' heli controls and if necessary some Robinson training.
Or just go with the Robinson if its offered, no matter what type of heli you finally would fly?

Country wise I'm very interested in you're thoughts
Please let me know you're preference and especially why!
(weather, overall experience, do you think some country's have some other kind of benefits?, would you recommend or dissuade mountain environment ?)

Can someone clarify what Hughes500 meant with :
Type of helicopter where instructor WILL do engine off landings, run on landings with pedals stuck at nearly full deflection?

Many thanks for the good help so far! :ok:

Hughes500
25th Mar 2016, 07:16
What I meant, there are a lot of schools that WILL NOT do full down Engine off landings or do stuck pedals as they are frightened of damaging the helicopter. These schools tend to have R22's ! Don't want to go down what is the best training helicopter as that has been done to death.

whoknows idont
25th Mar 2016, 08:12
I need to rethink which type of helicopter I prefer to get my training on.
Somehow I see the Robinsons 'separated' from the other helicopters cause of there specific control system.
Am I mistaken ? :oh:

You are mistaken, it does not have a different control system. It just looks different.
I would still not recommend the r22 for several reasons. But you can find many lengthy discussions about this topic on this board so you can make up your own mind.

Like Rain
27th Mar 2016, 08:52
My fault, I didn't meant it like what would be the best training helicopter.
Only if my interpretation of the Robinson controls was correct, and if it would make a different. (probably not)

Please forget this question.
For me, the most difficult and important aspects are :
- what Country
- what Season
- both minimum flight hours and instruction hours of the instructor
- and you're personal experience / advice

If you guys can help me with that, I would be a very happy person

Happy Easter

9Aplus
27th Mar 2016, 10:20
Can't write my own (recent) experience but can for my Jr.
Have recommended him G2 because all known "safety first" reason.

Than we have short listed two good places in Europe one in G and
one in D. Both are more than good, but he selected D one, because
of environment and specific working law limitations.
He is now on 15 F/h happy student pilot (near solo) and within that time he was
with 5 different instructors in all weather conditions including rain, gust winds and snow...
:ok:
Happy Easter to all