PDA

View Full Version : US Army pushing for light recon helicopter

chopper2004
11th Mar 2016, 18:41
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/us-army-pushing-new-light-reconnaissance-helicopter-423008/

10 March, 2016
BY: James Drew
Washington DC

The US Army has confirmed its pursuit of a light reconnaissance helicopter that will assume the role left vacant by the retirement of the Bell OH-58D Kiowa Warrior.
Army military deputy for acquisition, technology and logistics Lt Gen Michael Williamson suggested the army might move quicker on its Future Vertical Lift-Light (FVL-Light) programme because it might be more achievable in the near term.
“I think what you’ll find is there’s still a requirement for us to have a light reconnaissance helicopter, so as we looked at the dollars that are available and the timing to get to a platform, we saw the light helicopter probably gave us the most in terms of schedule,” Williamson said at a conference on US fiscal year 2017 defence programmes in Washington DC on 10 March.

NutLoose
11th Mar 2016, 19:04
More Lakotas?

tipping in
11th Mar 2016, 22:02
Surely the Wildcat?

Aynayda Pizaqvick
11th Mar 2016, 23:54
Perfect idea, tipping, we can give them ours so we don't have to endure 20-30 years of it!

tonker
12th Mar 2016, 06:29
Maybe we could supply 68 pre made and delivered light recon helicopters like the Wildcat, in exchange for 68 battlefield helicopters like the Blackhawk.

Everyone really really really happy and relieved.

Rosevidney1
12th Mar 2016, 18:45
After playing 'Lingo Dog' for quite a few years on 3 different types of light helicopter I formed the conclusion that by far the best at its job was the Gazelle. All the types mentioned are in my opinion too big.

NutLoose
12th Mar 2016, 19:00
This is going to be woof.

AnglianAV8R
12th Mar 2016, 20:29
@ Tipping....

Please provide your address for my invoice, you owe me for a new key board :p

riff_raff
13th Mar 2016, 07:57
The most likely candidate is the Sikorsky S-97. It is already close to flight testing, and meets most of the FVL-Light requirements. It is fast, but is only single engine. It currently uses the 2600hp YT706 engine, but could be retrofit with the more reliable and fuel efficient 3000hp ITEP engine when it becomes available.

Hopefully the Army will keep the cost asked by Sikorsky for the S-97 under control.

Haraka
13th Mar 2016, 10:18
the conclusion that by far the best at its job was the Gazelle. All the types mentioned are in my opinion too big.
Interestingly ,before the Gazelle was selected, the British Army evaluated an even lighter rotary wing platform.
The Wallis Wa 116 autogiro.

Lonewolf_50
14th Mar 2016, 14:38
This is an interesting announcement, given that a few years ago the decision was made to cancel the OH-58 and fold in its mission area to either UAV or Attack helicopters. This looks to be something quite long term, such that a significant portion of the Apache fleet will be too long in the tooth that Apache won't be able to fulfill the recon mission, in the out years.

Puzzled, we'll see what develops.