PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Service Time

flyforever35
7th Mar 2016, 14:45
I'm making a research about the duration of mandatory military service time especially for Air Forces.(for officers as pilots and ground personnel)

Now, can you tell me about your country's air force service time after graduating from air force academy?(for pilots and ground personnel officers)

Are you able to resign before this time is over by paying compensation?

Pontius Navigator
8th Mar 2016, 14:01
The UK phrase is return of service or RoS.

Wander00
8th Mar 2016, 15:10
I thought it was going to be about the rip-off in franchise garages where for example the computer generated time (and charge) for changing a light bulb is not less than two hours

GlobalNav
8th Mar 2016, 15:56
In the 1970's (I cannot vouch for today's policies) a USAF Academy cadet incurred at least a 4-year service commitment after graduation, which was adjusted (increased) when pilot-/navigator-training followed - to a 6-year commitment. Further flight training, and possibly other academic opportunities (masters degree at AFIT, for example), also incurred additional service commitments.

By the third year at the academy, the cadet incurred the 4-year obligation for commissioned service, which, if not honored by accepting a commission, reverted to equal time as an enlisted airman.

I believe there were certain cases, all dealt with on their individual merits, when a cadet was unable or unwilling to serve in any capacity may have incurred a significant monetary debt for the cost of the academy time. This was probably intended more as a deterrent than as value-based measure.

Lima Juliet
8th Mar 2016, 19:49
The UK phrase is return of service or RTS.

Nope, RoS is "Retun of Service" and RTS is "Release To Service" - two totally different things!!! :ok:

LJ

flyforever35
8th Mar 2016, 19:50
The UK phrase is return of service or RTS.

Thanks for your explanation, then what is RTS time for Royal Air Force?

In Turkish Air Force it's 15 years for pilots (no way getting out before this time, you don't have right to resign) now they try to make it 16 years, they say it is 16 years in Italy. I wonder if it is so in Italy? (no right to resign)

Pontius Navigator
9th Mar 2016, 13:24
LJ, typo.

Fly, not current but I think it used to be 3 years fro
first tour and 18 months subsequently. After the age of 50 it became 6 months. The 6-month rule made it unlikely to get a new OCU course much after age 45.

camelspyyder
9th Mar 2016, 19:22
LJ, typo.

Fly, not current but I think it used to be 3 years fro
first tour and 18 months subsequently. After the age of 50 it became 6 months. The 6-month rule made it unlikely to get a new OCU course much after age 45.

Unless they are desperate, like now, and one hits 52 1/2 the week the OCU ends :)

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2016, 10:55
CS, I did say I wasn't current :)

Do they have to sign a waiver foregoing the 6-months notice period?

Years ago I knew two MPA aircrew who played the 6 month card. One, a flt lt FE, slated to be the Eng Ldr, said at the outset he did not want Nimrods and definitely not Kinloss. They pushed him through the OCU, posted him to ISK, and at his arrival interview he played the card. The boss was incandescent and the FE served his remaining time as OIC Carpentry; made me a beautiful Rocking Horse.

Second one, returned to the sqn after a tour down south having been promoted to spec aircrew sqn ldr and completed the OCU and a Service move to ISK (as he wanted). Boss welcomed him to sqn, apologised that he could not be AE Leader but his valuable expertise would be a great asset. Card played and explosion heard in other half of sqn :)